Nervous About Hurricane Season...

TOTGuy

Original Poster
Hey guys, I am going to the world on September 29th through October 5th and I am kinda worried about hurricane season. Should I be? It's been a while since I've been down there but I always look for the worst possible scenario. Even if there is an active storm in the gulf should we cancel? I know that the resort is often used as refuge from the storm so do you think we should go ahead and go? Thoughts? Thanks

crazydaveh

Storms are unpredictable. Look at Ernesto. Here in Orlando, we were bracing for a bad tropical storm, when it hit, it was just a windy day with light rain.

But on the other end, 2004 was a busy season. Charlie and others came through or nearby.

You should watch the weather channel a week before you head out. They'll have the latest on any possible storms. If there's one threatening Florida, you make the call. Disney resorts are built to handle storms, so you will most likely be safe there if a storm hits during your visit.

Disney and the other parks in Orlando will close if there is danger to employees and guests. They'll reopen as soon as they can. They might be working with limited employees and such, but they'll do their best to make your vacation fun.

It's just up to you. It's a gamble. You're coming at a hit or miss time, but you just never know what mother nature will throw at the Sunshine State. Just be prepared to roll with the wind!

JPVonDrake

Hey guys, I am going to the world on September 29th through October 5th and I am kinda worried about hurricane season. Should I be? It's been a while since I've been down there but I always look for the worst possible scenario. Even if there is an active storm in the gulf should we cancel? I know that the resort is often used as refuge from the storm so do you think we should go ahead and go? Thoughts? Thanks

First Disney has a Peace of Mind Tropical Weather Policy...

From June 1 to November 30, 2006, in the event a hurricane warning is issued by the National Hurricane Center for the Orlando area or for the guest's place of residence within 7 days before the scheduled arrival date, the guest may call in advance to reschedule or cancel their Walt Disney Travel Co. Magic Your Way vacation package without any cancellation or change fees imposed by Disney. This temporary policy also applies to most Walt Disney World Resort room-only reservations booked directly with Disney, as well as reservations at Disney's Vero Beach Resort or Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort in the event a hurricane warning is issued for those destinations.

Second, the Walt Disney World Resort is one of the safest places to be during a storm in all of Florida. Walt Disney World Resort (and Disneyland Resort in California) have been recognized by NOAA National Weather Service as StormReady communities, the only theme parks and resorts in the nation to achieve the distinction.

To be recognized as StormReady, a community must establish an emergency operations center, have multiple means to receive severe weather information, monitor weather conditions and issue alerts, promote the importance of public readiness through education efforts, and develop a formal hazardous weather plan which includes emergency exercises.

Walt Disney World also has it's own power station on property and back-up generators for all 22 Disney Resorts. Unlike most of central Florida, Disney never lost power during any of the storms of 2004.

Come enjoy the Magic of Disney!

SpongeScott

Don't worry about a hurricane. Chances are extremely low that one would force WDW to close and things are starting to wind down in the tropics by the first of October, usually. As slow as this year has been in the tropics, I wouldn't be worried about it.

fillerup

Hurricane season lasts for 180 days or so. Disney has been open for 35 years and has closed for what? - a total of three days because of storms?

So, on average - WDW is affected slightly less than one day every ten years.

I like your chances.

metscool

Whatever you do(if there is a hurricane) don't do what I did during the last one that came though last week. DON'T stand outside in the middle of a TS. I stood outside while Ernesto and I had to come back in after standing out there for ten minutes. For some reason ever since I moved down here I feel like a hurricanes will be coming here. Even now that the new one that is out there I feel that it will come right here in the Orlando area. Watch it I will be right.

Rhuarac

I was there in 2004 when Hurricane Jean came through. We arrived the day before, the parks were pratically empty. The parks were closed the day she hit, and were reopened the next day. To be honest I sleep through the night and did not wake up until around 10 the next morning. If you did not look out side, you would have thought it was just raining. I was real nervous at first, because she made landfall as a Cat 3, but we were staying at Saratoga Springs, they were still building. You could see what was the frame work of the building and that eased by fears. I believe they have strick building codes for hurricane tolerance. The next day only one awning was missing from the building, some shingles, and siding from the main building. A few trees were down, but they had just been planted a few months before, so they just fell over. We went to Magic Kingdom and you could not tell a Hurricane had come through. Also the power never even flickered.
You can go to the National Hurricane Center's web site and read forcasts and follow active storms. www.nhc.noaa.gov

TimeTrip

Whatever you do(if there is a hurricane) don't do what I did during the last one that came though last week. DON'T stand outside in the middle of a TS. I stood outside while Ernesto and I had to come back in after standing out there for ten minutes.
I don't understand the point here.. help me out please :)
For some reason ever since I moved down here I feel like a hurricanes will be coming here. Even now that the new one that is out there I feel that it will come right here in the Orlando area. Watch it I will be right.

umm.. ok.....

scottnj1966

no you should not be worried.
disney has rarely closed because of them.
they closed in 2004 but reopened pretty quick. grand floridian and wilderness were very safe with the 80 to 100 mph gusts of winds. both hotels are so tough they can handle 180 mph winds. we could not hear anything with the sliding doors cosed.
power never went out...all underground.
they also have plenty of cast members still at the resorts. they feel safe there too.
they have a plan for just about everything to get the place ready for it.
but remember disney is in the moddle of florida...not the middle of water. hurricanes seem to hate land and get weaker.

Debbie

Not to invalidate your concern..........but.........we are talking DisneyWorld; not the kaos, and craziness that ascended here in the days following Katrina. I'm sure even if a storm would hit; security would be doing it's best; power and water would be restored in a most timely fashion (parts of N.O. still without), etc....I wouldn't cancel my vacation just in part of the timing falling in hurricane season; but your part would be to keep abreast of the weather forecast; and to plan accordingly.

disneytopdog

Thanks for the info....I was worried about the weather also. I am gonna be there Sept 24-Oct 1. If you locals arent freaked then I wont be. So do you just sit in your resort room while it comes in? How long does it take before its safe to go outside? I am in north Texas, we only have tornados..

Ringo8n24

Nothing would keep me from a Disney trip. As someone who did not evacuate during Katrina, I would rather be at WDW than anywhere else if I had to endure a hurricane again. No hurricane I have been through was as bad as her, so I definitely will not let a smaller one keep me from heading down there to WDW. Besides, they seem to have pretty sturdy structures and are so centrally located there would be no worry of a storm surge which is what got us so bad.

bayoutinkbelle

My friend and I headed to WDW last October when Wilma was enroute. We stood in the rain that night as the storm made its way through the area. WDW was closed until noon the next day (and we lost our Cinderella lunch ressie. :cry: ), but the CMs were wonderful and the crowds light. I'll never forget us being the only ones eating lunch in Columbia Harbour House. We were able to have really nice chats with the CMs.

In short, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

C&D

I think the only concerns, you would have, would be your travel to and from WDW. I wouldn't be alarmed, just aware of the weather situation. Once you get there I have all the faith in the world that Disney will provide guidance in just about any situation that might arise.

The hurricane season is from June 1st to November 31st with the peak around the first week of September (oooo, right about now) but that is somewhat unimportant as a storm can come most anytime, and if that's the time your there, well, then you have to deal with it. Playing the odds, as others have mentioned, you should be all right.

majortom1981

dont worry

My Gf was at disney last year when a hurricane hit disney world.

She said it probably is the best place to be stuck at in a hurricane.

the park was clsoed that day but they took very good care of them .

The only thing was they were stuck in there hotel buut disney put on Movies on their channels to keep people entertained.

She also said it was completely dead the next day .

The only thing you have to worry about is a hurricane hitting the day you leave for the world lol.

TOTGuy

Original Poster
I am in north Texas, we only have tornados..

LOL I'm from N Texas too! I live over in Plano! :wave:

anyway, thanks for all of your responses, you've calmed my nerves. I am looking forward to a wonderful trip!

PS I'm no stranger to hurricanes, my house was destroyed by Andrew years ago! :hammer:

Deviant

Account Suspended
I'm only nervous about us being able to get there when we go next month. I really hope there is a Hurricane coming through late afternoon on the day we go home though. That'd be fantastic!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom