Negative info I read on Walt Disney?!?!

magic minnie

Original Poster
Just wanted to see if anyone else has come across anything like this . . . I was doing a college project and my group and I chose Walt Disney. One of the books painted him in a totally different way than anything I've ever heard or read . . . really in a negative light. :veryconfu The book was saying he was crabby, all about himselft, etc. and that his popular persona was not at all how he really was. I refused to believe it, but has anyone else heard anything along these lines before? Please don't slam me on this; I don't believe it either, but wanted to know what others have read.

barnum42

The media (at least in the UK) thrives on bringing down heroes and popular figures - because it sells.

Walt was not a saint (but then who is?). I suspect the author set out to concentrate only on the negative points, then expand on them and add a little to it.

He will probably argue that it was all about Walt because the films were "Walt Disney presents" and had very little in the way of credits. But that was no different that any other films at the time.

There was a time when the artists went out on strike, I'm sure the author spent a lot of time on that moment in the company's history.

I have read and see in the official documentary or possible the Frank and Ollie DVD that he rarely complimented people to their face (something else this author could misquote) but usually told others about the great job they were doing.

marchofthecards

The negatives of Walt

Hi,

I too have read all the stuff. One book (Hollywood's Dark Prince) mentioned a few things. Here they are and what I say to them,

Walt couldn't draw. - Yes he could, but he became a show director of his own company. His strengths were seeing perfection and knowing how to get there.

Walt never acknowledged the talents of his staff. - Think that he did. At the start/end of many films, there is a statement about 'grateful to the talents of the artists who made this possible' Walt was the kind of guy that would probably only speak about your work if it wasn't up to scratch. If he said nothing to you, that means you are doing your job well, and what you have been asked of. Depsite not believing this true for one minute, some managers and management styles are like that! Besides, he publically praised his staff in a number of projects he televised. The Disneyland 10th anniversary special for example, where he showed the DL Ambassador around talking about upcoming Pirates + Marc Davis, Small World + Mary Blair, and HM.

There was a particular story that got me. Speaking of Walt and watching a pencil test of an artist showing Mickey and Minnie in compromising circumstances. Afterwards, Walt applauded and congratulated the individual, "Who did this fine work?" When the artist proudly stood, Walt fired him. But wouldn't anyone! If I had created a character and my company was soley based on its success, working hard to achieve everything, wouldn't you be proud of it and nurture it wanting to protect it, especially the innocence of !?

The book shamingly talks about his obsessive habits. How cruel. In particular how he got to a stage where he was constantly washing his hands etc... It speaks of times when he became infuriated when things didn't go to plan, like openings and launches etc... again, all signs of a perfectionist and an artist! Is that is only crime???

Walt Disney was racist - So that would be why he created It's a Small World, and decided to just put White American dolls in there as animatronics would it?

Then there is his work for Hoover, that he was frozen on death, that he had studio affairs.....

Incidently the book does highlight a point about Disney family deaths all being in December. Trying to verify this with Sharon Disney-Lund's, whose memorial plate doesn't give a date but hints that her ashes may well be scattered in DL. It simply states that 'Ashes scattered in Paradise', a place he called DL to them when they were young.

If I am wrong in any of this please correct... I just found the book and everything else I hear bad and unsubstantiated and has no reason. I like Diane Disney Millers opening introduction on the Walt Disney CDRom. She blatenly acknowledges all this bad stuff written about him.

Simes

Erika

I think it's important to remember that one does not achieve that kind of greatness by walking around and smiling like a dimwit all day long. This was a man who demanded perfection; he had to, or none of us would ever have heard of him. I'm sure his drive was easily misinterpreted as crabbiness. Some people just don't get it.

I think Barnum hit the nail on the head; he was not a saint, but certainly many expected that of him. Don't let those people ruin his image for you. :)

barnum42

Erika said:
I think it's important to remember that one does not achieve that kind of greatness by walking around and smiling like a dimwit all day long.
Well that puts a huge dent in my life strategy!

:lol:

AliciaLuvzDizne

barnum42 said:
Well that puts a huge dent in my life strategy!

aw

but Erika is absolutely right...look at all the guff:)lol: i just said guff) Martha Stewert gets about her sparkling personality. (maybe thats a bad example...since she's in prison a little bit)
but as awesome as Oprah is to her employees, I've also heard she's tough to work for...you have to earn your greatness.

SpectroMan

I think these people who bash many celebrities just are jealous of the great things these people have done. Yes, Walt Disney had many quirks, but what great artist or great business man doesn't.

CoffeeJedi

marchofthecards said:
There was a particular story that got me. Speaking of Walt and watching a pencil test of an artist showing Mickey and Minnie in compromising circumstances. Afterwards, Walt applauded and congratulated the individual, "Who did this fine work?" When the artist proudly stood, Walt fired him. But wouldn't anyone! If I had created a character and my company was soley based on its success, working hard to achieve everything, wouldn't you be proud of it and nurture it wanting to protect it, especially the innocence of !?

gotta drag out everyone's favorite site here:
http://snopes.com/disney/waltdisn/oneframe.asp

Jim Hill has a version of the story too (you have to scroll down a bit):
http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/articles/showarticle.php?ID=458

Brain M. Halstead

Just wanted to see if anyone else has come across anything like this . . . I was doing a college project and my group and I chose Walt Disney. One of the books painted him in a totally different way than anything I've ever heard or read . . . eally in a negative light. :veryconfu The book was saying he was crabby, all about himselft, etc. and that his popular persona was not at all how he really was. I refused to believe it, but has anyone else heard anything along these lines before? Please don't slam me on this; I don't believe it either, but wanted to know what others have read.
would have to say that out of roughly 72,000 employs, you can't keep them all happy. But for the majority, I have been with them for all most half a year. This is by far the greatest place I have ever worked, Disney has vary high standards.

Magenta Panther

Most of the negativity written about Walt is pure BS. People who are envious of his accomplishments or who have a fetish for defacing the good have been trying to tear him down for decades. That's the reason his daughter Diane built that museum about him in California - to try to separate the man from the myth (and the slander). I would recommend to anyone who wishes to read the truth about Walt the book "Walt Disney: An American Legend" by Bob Thomas. Thomas wrote many biographies about famous people, and he has a rep for being both honest and unsparing. He had full access to the Disney company records and was told by the Disney family that he could write his book any way he wished; they would not try to influence or censor him. Years after he wrote the book, he confirmed again that he was not interfered with in any way in its production. I would trust his book over any other when it comes to the facts about Walt. Plus, unlike that "Dark Prince" author and Neal Gabler (who wrote the more recent Disney biography - which was slammed by Diane, incidentally), Thomas actually met and interviewed Walt himself, several times, which gives his work an authenticity the other biographies lack, in my view.

Brain M. Halstead

Well, I just spent the day, with some friends at the MK,EC and ST. People who have never been there, after a day there I asked them what they thought of the place? This is truly the happiest place on earth, the people, the cast members all seem to be having a good time.

BrightImagine

Walt died before I was born, but I've read two biographies and watched everything I could get my hands on about him, and so he almost feels like a friend to me. (I have not read the Dark Prince book.) I think he had two hurtful events that affected him the rest of his life: the animators' strike, which seemed like it broke his heart; and his polo injury, which seemed to cause him grief forever after. There was also the death of his mother, which seemed incredibly tragic and he may have felt responsible for it. Despite these hurtful events, he was still able to accomplish two mind-bogglingly amazing things: transform animation into a legitimate art form, and invent the immersive theme park.

Rumors flare from time to time that Walt was racist or anti-semitic, and people seem to like to lampoon this in popular culture. I can see no evidence that he ever was, and every time there is a joke about Walt in this vein I find it hurtful. I think in fact that he was progressive compared to the views of his day. I especially love the way he took care of James Baskett until his death.

And that is my summary of thoughts on Walt Disney, my hero.

ExtinctJenn

Holy old thread batman! 2005? Wow! Talk about being brought back to life from the dead! :D

Anyone know what book the original person was talking about here?

Magenta Panther

Walt died before I was born, but I've read two biographies and watched everything I could get my hands on about him, and so he almost feels like a friend to me. (I have not read the Dark Prince book.) I think he had two hurtful events that affected him the rest of his life: the animators' strike, which seemed like it broke his heart; and his polo injury, which seemed to cause him grief forever after. There was also the death of his mother, which seemed incredibly tragic and he may have felt responsible for it. Despite these hurtful events, he was still able to accomplish two mind-bogglingly amazing things: transform animation into a legitimate art form, and invent the immersive theme park.

Rumors flare from time to time that Walt was racist or anti-semitic, and people seem to like to lampoon this in popular culture. I can see no evidence that he ever was, and every time there is a joke about Walt in this vein I find it hurtful. I think in fact that he was progressive compared to the views of his day. I especially love the way he took care of James Baskett until his death.

And that is my summary of thoughts on Walt Disney, my hero.

He's my hero too. Not just because of the things he accomplished, but because of the kind of man he was. :)

I hadn't heard that about Walt and James Baskett. Can you tell me more about it? And speaking of James Baskett - isn't it a shame that the current Disney regime won't allow today's generation to see Mr. Baskett's fine work as Uncle Remus - all because of misguided political correctness? Iger really gets on my nerves something awful...

ParentsOf4

I have read and see in the official documentary or possible the Frank and Ollie DVD that he rarely complimented people to their face (something else this author could misquote) but usually told others about the great job they were doing.
I've read this in a few sources. This is a horrible trait for a manager and, if true, might have been Walt's greatest fault. Direct positive reinforcement, when it's genuine and deserved, does wonders for morale and productivity. Almost everyone likes to hear "Good job". (I just thought of the movie "Hancock".)

I suspect it was the way Walt grew up. He probably was raised to think that someone shouldn't be praised for doing what they're supposed to do.

popcenturylover

Most of the negativity written about Walt is pure BS. People who are envious of his accomplishments or who have a fetish for defacing the good have been trying to tear him down for decades. That's the reason his daughter Diane built that museum about him in California - to try to separate the man from the myth (and the slander). I would recommend to anyone who wishes to read the truth about Walt the book "Walt Disney: An American Legend" by Bob Thomas. Thomas wrote many biographies about famous people, and he has a rep for being both honest and unsparing. He had full access to the Disney company records and was told by the Disney family that he could write his book any way he wished; they would not try to influence or censor him. Years after he wrote the book, he confirmed again that he was not interfered with in any way in its production. I would trust his book over any other when it comes to the facts about Walt. Plus, unlike that "Dark Prince" author and Neal Gabler (who wrote the more recent Disney biography - which was slammed by Diane, incidentally), Thomas actually met and interviewed Walt himself, several times, which gives his work an authenticity the other biographies lack, in my view.
Actually, the book by Bob Thomas is called "Walt Disney: An American Original".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom