Need suggestions for my upcoming WDW trip

I'm heading to WDW in January for four nights. Staying at the Swan. (I'm using free Starwood nights earned from all my recent business travel. It finally pays off!) I have a bunch of questions:

1) We last went to WDW two years ago, and have the 2001 Unofficial Guide. Is there enough new info to justify buying the 2003 Guide? We're very savvy about most things Disney (attractions, avoiding lines, etc.), but probably not as savvy on the restaurant scene.

2) If we don't buy the Unofficial Guide, other suggestions for guidebooks? I'm thinking of buying the Official Guide (for the first time), partially to get my four-year-old excited (and it's the only one with pictures). Are there any other suggestions people have?

3) My four-year-old will be tall enough for some "older" attractions. While we'll shun a bunch of them for obvious reasons, what do people think about Splash Mountain? I know she'll LOVE the majority of the attraction, and I think she'll be okay on the big drop, but I'm not sure, and I don't want to terrify her. She has gone on kiddie coasters similar to the Barnstormer, and loves them, but nothing like Splash Mountain before. Anybody with young children take them on Splash Mountain? (Or any of the other "older" attractions at Disney.) What were young kids reactions?

4)Unlike the trip I talked about in this message , this will be a very relaxed trip. Just the immediate family - myself, my wife, our 4-year-old, and our 18-month-old. Any suggestions for fun things to do with those ages that we shouldn't miss? We have a pretty good idea about attractions at parks. What about other ideas at WDW? (Restaurants, etc.)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Machine

One sugestion I can give you is the resturants. My two favorites would have to be Ohana's at the Polynesian Hotel which is a family style and the Coral Reef in Epcot. I love the food there and the giant fish is always fun to look in while your waiting for your food. If your looking for a resturant more kid oriented I would sugest Cinderella's Royal Table in the magic kingdom or 1900 Park fair in the grand floridian hotel. I hope I was able to help.:)

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

I am a guide book junkie but have never bought one.

(drum roll, please)

Use your public library.

At the very least, check out the 2003 book before you buy it. You can do a page-by-page comparison. You can also check out other guide books, the Unofficial one, WDW for kids, etc.

but probably not as savvy on the restaurant scene.
unless you are planning on using some sort of child care, your dining options will be determined in part by the fact that you will have 2 young children in tow. My guess is that you will gravitate towards character meals, or "busy" ones like 'Ohana, Whispering Canyon, 50's Prime Time, Garden Grill, etc.

This is not the trip to do Yachtsman Steakhouse or Victoria & Albert's. IMHO, you can find out quite a bit about dining options on the web, including reviews, which you won't get in the Official Guide.

My best advice for kids is to do some prep before you go by watching Disney videos. Most kids are not too familiar with the characters in the parks. On my list are movies that have a major presence at WDW, like a ride, or that contain characters you are likely to see:

Dumbo
Peter Pan
Alice in Wonderland
Pinocchio
classic Mickey Mouse, especially those with Chip 'n Dale (because they are EVERYWHERE)
Robin Hood
Mary Poppins
Cinderella
Sleeping Beauty
Snow White

and, if you haven't seen them already
Beauty and the Beast
Lion King
Little Mermaid
Aladdin

...you get the idea.

I think it means a lot more to kids if they have a clue about what they are seeing. The Dumbo ride is fun, but if you've seen the movie, you get more out of it.

The January weather can be iffy, so it's hard to tell if outside activities are a good idea. Fort Wilderness has a petting zoo, hayrides, pony rides, a free nightly movie with bonfire and s'mores, and Trails End Buffeteria, which is a favorite of many.

I don't think I would spend the $$ for the Luau or Hoop-De-Doo--the kids are a little young (IMHO). You might try the Diamond Horseshoe Review in Frontierland--same general idea, but much shorter.

Upvote 0

goofyman

The book ,well you can get most of the info on this or other sites that you would need, BUT, it is a great way to get everyone excited and in that case your old one should be fine. As for splash mountain, I would say she would love it and be fine, but you are the only one that really can tell. I would also suggest a character meal of course, Chef Mickeys, Tonys in MK. And for a fun family meal check out the wispering canyon at wilderness lodge and 50 prime time is also great. have fun!!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Marijil

Chef Mickeys, 1900 Park Fare, Olivia's, Rainforest, Planet Hollywood, Trail's End, Crystal Palace all are good bets with kids. The Birnbaum book is virtually identical every year (although I still buy it!?!?!) The Passporter, in my opinion is the best book.

One key concern you will have with kids that age is reaction to the characters...that can make or break a meal...have fun

Upvote 0

kosherkid411

1) Unless you definatly love the resturants, there really isn't a need. There are some new rides, but not enough to get a new book.

2) I think the Offical Guide would be a great idea for your 4-year-old. She will love to look at the pictures.

3) When we took my cousin when he was 5 or 6, he went on everthing he could. He loved Space Mountain, Big Thunder Railroad, and Splash Mountain. When we went back when he was 7, he rode the Rock N' Roller Coaster and loved it too.

4)You gotta have a Character meal! Chef Mickey's is always good. If you daughter loves the Disney Princesses, make breakfast reservations in the Norway Pavillion.

Have a great trip!

Upvote 0

RandeB

Unofficial Guide

I'm a big fan of the unofficial guide.

However, this year's edition is already outdated as it talks about how early entry is gone. If you're trying to deal either with attending early entry or strategies involving it you're actually better off with the old edition.

Only a few new things in the new book. The library idea is a good one.

Upvote 0

gjpjtj

We went back in September with my 4 year old son. He just made it under the "height stick" for such rides as Splash Mountain, BTMRR and Test Track. We rode all of the above, and he survived, but definitely liked some better than others. He enjoyed Splash Mountain, until the final drop, (we unfortunately sat in the front seats, and got thoroughly drenched). So I would opt for a back seat on that one. It really wasn't the drop for him it was getting soaked.

He actually enjoyed BTMRR, but thought Test Track went too fast. I would say try anything you think your daughter will enjoy.

Here is a thread with some pics from our trip.......Trip Photos

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Hey there 447, First things first, Have an amazing time!!! As far as your 4 year old, my niece was the same age when we went and she was so excellent on everything!!! she loved Splash Mountain, Test Track, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Haunted Mansion and others Im sure I could name if I racked my brain!! She was actually better than my 7 year old nephew in some cases!! She was told that it was all make believe and that Mom, Dad and Aunt Marie wouldnt let anything hurt her and if she was scared to just close her eyes and we would take care of everything. She didnt do that not once!! She is such a great little kid!!! My nephews are pretty awesome also but it just blew my mind to see her go on all these rides that I would have been terrified of at her age!!! Definitely book a character meal, If you are in the MK I strongly suggest either the Princess breakfast at the Castle or Liberty Tree Tavern. The Kids loved both of these!! Garden Grill was also nice as well as Donald's Prehistoric Breakfast in AK!! Give me a little while and I will come up with some more suggestions!!! Belle

Upvote 0

FourFourSeven

Original Poster
Thank you all! Many great suggestions!

Regarding books, I think I'll go check out both the general Birnbaum book and the "For Kids," both primarily for the pictures for my daughter.

We're leaning towards Chef Mickeys for a character meal. We went there two years ago, and it was a big hit. I may also take my older daughter to one of the miniature golf courses one night for "daddy-daughter time."

Thanks, too, for the suggestions with young kids on some of the more adventurous rides. I hadn't even thought about the getting wet aspect of Splash Mountain. (She doesn't like being in wet clothes.) Maybe I'll explain that there's some splashing, and that we have brought a change of clothes.

If anyone has more suggestions, keep 'em coming!

(By the way, you're all making it less likely I need the new unofficial guide with all your great suggestions!)

9 weeks to go, 9 weeks to go...

Upvote 0

Erika

447, a suggestion for splash mountain- We are huge wussies and HATE walking around in wet clothes. We wear ponchos on this ride. Dry as a bone! It's one of my favorites and I think I really would have enjoyed it as a child. I bet she loves it.

Upvote 0

Maria

I agree with Erika on the poncho idea for Splash Mountain. Specially if you are going in January.... the weather is cold! Very humid and chilly at nights. I rode Kali River Rapids with a poncho in February and my pants and sweatshirt didn´t get wet. yeay! We were freezing anyways! :animwink: Don´t forget to carry jackets for the evenings. I´ve seen the temps get in the low 30´s there during that time!

I would also suggest the Princesses breakfast at the Norwegian Pavillion for your princess. I´m sure she will love it.

I wouldn´t spend a cent for the Luau with a 4 year old kid. The show is fun for adults at some parts of it, because then it becomes a long fashion parade that could get very very boring if it´s only the four of you, specially for your girl.

Buy her a guest of honor pin with her name on it and make it wear it.... she´ll be surprised of how many cast members greet her!

If you need to change a diaper, feed the baby or simply take a break in the parks, I would remind you that there nurseries or child care facilities in all the parks. The one in Epcot -which is the one I am familiar with- is well equipped with an area for breast feeding, one with changing tables, another one with high chairs to feed them, and another area for older kids to play and watch videos while mom finishes. There is also a little kitchenette-store where you can use the microwave and fix a bottle of formula and some over the counter remedies are sold there, as well as Gerber, milk, formula, and diapers in case you forget something. It´s a nice spot to have a break! I swear! :animwink:

Have fun! :wave:

Upvote 0

pepsistar

:) Do not know if it is too late to get it in time but did you get the free video??? from the Disney web site?? That is a must for us every year-- we watch it over and over. Better than the pictures--- :D

My grandson is 6, but small-- so he just got to go on some of the rides ( not tall enough :( ) he loved Splash, Big Thunder, Test track, Star tours, Goofy's Barnstormer and all of the rides. ( make sure to check the height requirerment before you get her excited about a ride--)

Do not forget the baby swap feature if you want to go and all of you can not go on a ride at the same time because of the younger child.

We also wore our poncho's on the river rapids!! A must especially for that time of the year. As far as the eating it is always hard with small children. The character meals are great though. If $$ is a concern the breakfasts are usually the most reasonable.

I know you did not ask but you can see/meet the characters very easily these days. We just came back a few days ago and I will have to say I have never seen so many around as we did this time. I believe it is something new. They were all over-- I mean all over especially at the MK.

Do not want to spoil any thing for you but check the hours!!! We were very disappointed that MK closed at "6" !!!!! May make a difference in what you plan for each day.

Well, now that iI have given you more than my 2 cents worth I will go. Hope you have a wonderful time!!!!! :wave:

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

Originally posted by FourFourSeven
1) We last went to WDW two years ago, and have the 2001 Unofficial Guide. Is there enough new info to justify buying the 2003 Guide? We're very savvy about most things Disney (attractions, avoiding lines, etc.), but probably not as savvy on the restaurant scene.
You'll find the guide book out of date already - this site is probably as up to date as your going to get.
Suggestion - think of any info you need, check your 2001 edition and then post a question on here for the most up to date info

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Hi Again, I really wouldnt recommend getting the guidebook as previously mentioned it really is out of date already. Id certainly request the vacation video from Disney. I didnt even think about that one!!! or maybe watch the specials on the Travel Channel. There is another thread on here called Travel Channel Schedule that had a bunch of the speials listed. Check them out. The behind the scenes one is pretty cool. Id advise watching it yourself first and taping it, then showing it to your little one. My friend felt it showed too much of the behind the scenes stuff. I didnt, but I think it is a matter of opinion. I have most of these specials on tape and I watch them...... a lot!! Actually the behind the scenes one specifically gave me the courage to go on Tower of Terror as I knew exactly when I would drop! Hope the info helped!! Belle

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I plan a lot of trips evrey year, so I am on the phone with Disney alot and I do get updates on the parks, resorts etc. I do buy the guide books to read because I love Disney and just can't seem to get enough of it. :lol: I think Birnbaum,the Unoficcial(sp?) and the Passporter are all good reads, especially if you haven't been in a while. I think Birnbaums is the easiest to follow, so I would suggest you get that one. You'll get the basic info that you will need, with out driving your self crazy! If you need any help, please feel free to contact me, just mention the boards and your post though.

pam

Upvote 0

Diannabanana

My husband is a big fan of birnbaums guide. This year we purchased our first unofficial guide and we love it! Its 2002.
As for places to eat, we took our 3 yr old nephew to Hollywood and Vine, in MGM, and he loved it. Also the character breakfast at Chef Mickeys was GREAT! The Swan is a nice place and you have the Boardwalk in walking distance, you'll love it.

Upvote 0

VillianFan

My suggestion is caution for the 3D movies. My 4 year old hated them. We made her sit through Muppets and after that she didn't want to go into any shows. Just a warning!

Also, we had both our children, 4 and 7, wear White Disney baseball hats. They got them signed by the characters using a Sharpie marker. Kept the hats on their heads, the sun off their faces and no autograph books for us to carry around!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom