Need Some Help...What to do with Grandma Outside the Parks?

WishIWasAtWDW

i need some help trying to figure out what things we can do outside of going to the parks with a grandma in the party. the boyfriend and i are going in december and after we made our plans, we found out that his parents and grandparents are going down two days before us. so they asked us if we wanted to come down early. and of course i couldn't pass that up!

so here's the situation: it will be a total of 6 of us staying at the old key west, we won't have park passes for those two days, and grandma will be renting a scooter to help get around since she doesn't do very well walking. any suggestions of fun things to do that we can do with grandma? your help is much appreciated!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
i need some help trying to figure out what things we can do outside of going to the parks with a grandma in the party. the boyfriend and i are going in december and after we made our plans, we found out that his parents and grandparents are going down two days before us. so they asked us if we wanted to come down early. and of course i couldn't pass that up!

so here's the situation: it will be a total of 6 of us staying at the old key west, we won't have park passes for those two days, and grandma will be renting a scooter to help get around since she doesn't do very well walking. any suggestions of fun things to do that we can do with grandma? your help is much appreciated!

I have not been in years but there is a place we used to go called Bach Towers. It's a garden with a bell tower that plays every haour and half hour. I believe it used to be no charge.

There is also Silver Springs in Ocala, Kenedy Space Center, and Cypress Gardens.

Upvote 0
Try going to the other resorts and check out all the christmas decorations. There is also Downtown Disney if you need to get any extra shopping done or try one of the different restaurants there. :xmas:

Upvote 0

Nemo14

I agree with touring the hotels. You could easily spend the day just checking out all the decorations. And don't forget Fort Wilderness at night- some of the campers really go all out on decorations!

Upvote 0

wdwhoneymooner

We've spent some quality time seeing all the Christmas Decor around WDW. I would guess that even if grandma has already experienced them, it should still be fun to do. As for Fort Wilderness @ night: I agree that the campsites are lots of fun and festive, but I'm not sure about allowing "visitors" driving thru there. When I was there in '07, visitors were told to leave their vehicles in the front parking area and to take the buses within the property.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

We've spent some quality time seeing all the Christmas Decor around WDW. I would guess that even if grandma has already experienced them, it should still be fun to do. As for Fort Wilderness @ night: I agree that the campsites are lots of fun and festive, but I'm not sure about allowing "visitors" driving thru there. When I was there in '07, visitors were told to leave their vehicles in the front parking area and to take the buses within the property.
Yes, that's the usual policy. We were fortunate enough to be allowed to drive through last year, but I would think that even by bus you'd see quite a lot.

Upvote 0

bgraham34

As some have said you can hit the other resorts and see the decorations, spend time in Downtown Disney but you can always see Cirque De Soleil. Personally I would rent a boat at OKW for an hour or 2 and enjoy the quiet calm.

Upvote 0

foreverbelle

The resorts have activities that they offer. We took my mom, who just had surgery. At the AKL they offered ceramics and jewelry making. My mom had a blast-pics of the ceramics are in my trip report if interested- she absolutely loved it! I asked if you needed to be staying there to do this, and the cast members said no not at all. I know a few others offer things. Maybe your grandmother could do something similar.

Upvote 0

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
Get her a Kindle and tell her to have fun!

i was expecting some suggestions like this :ROFLOL:

The resorts have activities that they offer. We took my mom, who just had surgery. At the AKL they offered ceramics and jewelry making. My mom had a blast-pics of the ceramics are in my trip report if interested- she absolutely loved it! I asked if you needed to be staying there to do this, and the cast members said no not at all. I know a few others offer things. Maybe your grandmother could do something similar.

i saw that in your trip report and i mentioned it to my boyfriend. this is more along the lines of what i was looking for. they have been to disney a lot and i wanted to show them something maybe they have never seen or done before. i am thinking that doing some of the activities at the resorts would be fun and something the boyfriend's grandma could enjoy. thanks!

Not to be a wise guy as I don't know your Grandmother but if she is anyrhing like my mom was then I have one word for you, Bingo.

:lol: she's the boyfriend's grandma so i am not sure what her feelings are about bingo...but thanks for the suggestion!

Upvote 0
I'm guessing she may enjoy the pool, if she's going down to FL, after all. I would schedule some great reservations at DTD and at the resorts - this way you can tour the resorts with the specific purpose of having to be there for food anyway. Renting a boat sounds like an awesome suggestion, as would be heading to the Poly at night to have a drink and watch the Electric Water Pageant . Cirque du Soleil sounds fun too!

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

If you're looking to get out a bit with your grandmother...but still not have it be something too taxing...the Citrus Tower is only about 30 minutes away. http://www.citrustower.com/location.html I used to drive by it all the time when I'd drive from Gainesville to Orlando. I don't think it's horribly expensive.

Lakeridge Winery and Vineyards is also in the area and while I've only driven by, it looks very pretty and gets great reviews. http://www.lakeridgewinery.com/ I think tours and tastings are complimentary.

So, both are a little bit of a drive, but they are nice, scenic, and peaceful options. On a side note...There are a lot of orange groves in this area, and if you're lucky enough to drive through when they are blossoming- it is one of the most amazing smells in the world.

Upvote 0

Mouse Man

There are some cool things to Do with Grandma for the Day. Going to Sea World would be a lot of fun and easy. If grandma is on the religeous side then taking her to the Holy Land Experience would be an enjoyable day for her. Now no one mentioned a dinner shows like Arabian Knights or Mid Evil Times. Down Town Disney for Shopping and Lunch would be a lot of fun. A lot of seniors really love that area during the day because they see all the Disney Stores and people and enjoy the sights and sounds and all the smells.

Upvote 0

Disneybird

My mother is a great-grandmother and also uses a scooter. Sometimes she's just as content to be in the room alone with a good book in one hand and the remote control in the other.

Take the boat to DTD. It's a nice scenic ride. From there you can go to POR and watch the piano player Bob. Probably the best entertainment value on property.

If a car is available, drive to Celebration and have a nice leisurely lunch. If she can walk at all, take the FW bus to Trails End for a great buffet dinner. You can take in the Christmas Lights at the same time. You can also go to Chip and Dales campfire sing-a-long.

Take a bus to the MK, then the monorail to the Polynesian. Go to the beach and watch the Electrical Water Pageant and the fireworks. Walk around the boardwalk and take in the shops, hotels and Beaches and Cream. Ride the boat between DHS and EPCOT or the one between the MK, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge and FW.

Or you can always get her a good book and a tv guide. :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom