Need Serious Shoe Help!

DisneyPrincess5

Hi all!

I am looking for a comfortable shoe option to support my feet and back with the amount of walking at the parks that's not sneakers.

Okay so I know this topic has been discussed before. In fact I posted a thread a few years ago about it because I struggle with this so much.
We're going to WDW for our honeymoon this coming Fall and I desperately want to be able to wear skirts and dresses to stay cool. But sneakers and dresses don't mix. Plus their hot.

My problem is that I have some feet and back concerns. My feet become sore very easily and as a result of improper shoes and then my back hurts as well. It's happened a million times to me at WDW while wearing sandals. I don't want this to happen again on any trip, especially our honeymoon but I'd like to wear a type of shoe other than sneakers.

What options have you guys found comfortable that support my back and feet that are not sneakers? Something tried and true that always works for you? And no crocs please! Crocs hurt my feet walking in them with not even close to the amount of walking at Disney so those are out.

Thank you!!! Your input is greatly appreciated!

Uncle Lupe

I wear New Balance 623's but I have flat feet and need a good shoe for the standing on concrete. Maybe you can set a trend of sneakers and skirts. My personal opinion is that you wear what is comfortable and not worry about what other people say (within reason, of course. Noone should be wearing tube tops). You're on the concrete for a lot of hours to not wear a shoe that is going to be comfortable. My wife made that mistake once and, after getting some awful blisters on the first or second day of a 7 day trip, her fun on the vacation came to an abrupt end.

I have flat feet also. Do you use any off the shelf inserts with these shoes?

Upvote 0

the1nonlysinger

Kind of a side note: I've heard people speak positively about using moleskin. What exactly are the benefits if that?

Moleskin is amazing. I used to get awful blisters when I'd be at WDW. I heard about moleskin here at WDWmagic and bought some before a trip. When I did get a blister- I put a bandaid on first and then the moleskin. Protected it and I was able to keep going, without really feeling it anymore! I've never had great luck with just bandaids, I was hobbling within a few hours.

Prior to our last trip, I went to the store and asked for help finding a really good walking shoe. I ended up with a New Balance sneaker. It was the first time I was able to do 8 days at WDW without a single blister. Yes, my feet were tired at the end of the day, but that's to be expected. It was more tired of being on my feet all day- in no way did I feel like I had walked the 15+ miles that I had each day. That was 2 years ago, I've walked that pair of sneakers into the ground. I went back a few months ago and bought a brand new pair of New Balance sneakers and have been breaking them in for our upcoming trip (25 days!). I know that they may not be as fashionable as you were hoping but being able to keep walking for your entire trip is so worth it!

Upvote 0

bmarkelon

My feet are pretty sensitive to pains and aches too, I can never wear fancy girly shoes for long. I can't say that my back is ever effected which I'm lucky for. My trick is switching shoes on trips...I usually bring two pairs of cozy broken in sneakers, usually a well supported running sneaker...I love Asics. But I love sandals too! I have had really good luck with the Reef Fanning Flip Flop, great support and I have been able to wear them for a day in the parks. They are not really pretty though, so I always pack a pair of fancier sandals too that I would change into if I'm getting dressed nice for a dinner and will only be them for a few hours.
http://www.zappos.com/reef-fanning-brown-gum

I also have heard great things about OluKai and will probably check them out too. But again, not really a dressy sandal, here's a link to a shiny one though! Ohana just happens to be in the name, coincidence? Maybe not. ;)
http://www.zappos.com/olukai-ohana-w-mica-dark-java

Hope this is helpful, having happy feet is pretty critical, good luck!

Upvote 0

mickeysmyman

I have always had good luck with Ecco shoes. They come in a lot of styles from tennis shoes to mules to flats. Both the mule style and flats look fine with skirts. The all have the same insole and the base of them is molded for your footbed. Can be on the pricey side but last forever. Dillard's normally has the best selection. Good luck there is nothing worse than sore feet!

Upvote 0

CinderellyKelly

I just bought a pair if Adidas sandals with Fit foam cushioning in them. They were in clearance at Dicks Sporting Goods yesterday for $15 and they feel awesome!

I also wear canvas Toms and love them!!! And I wear sneakers with jean skirts all the time girl! You're on vacay!!!!

Upvote 0

journ116

I had the same dilemma for our most recent trip, that is: wearing a pair of shoes that not only feel good, but could be worn with dresses as well. Here's what I bought 2 weeks before our trip (from Dick's Sporting Goods):

http://www.amazon.com/Crocs-Womens-...ie=UTF8&qid=1357495317&sr=8-14&keywords=Crocs

They are amazing shoes! I wore them for the entire vacation, and did not break out my sneakers once! The only drawback, after walking around the parks all day, my feet were a bit dirty. Every night, I would give my feet a quick bath. I was worried that I would've developed heel blisters with this type of flat, but I did not! These shoes have replaced my sandals, and in part, my sneakers, when going to WDW!

Happy shoe hunting!

Upvote 0

Figgy1

I love the crocs flip flop calledd vezzy a little dressy(suede top} supportive and soft. Aerosoles also make comfortable shoes. All I can say is take the spring and summer to find the right pair for you. I walked around the store for what seemed like forever (got funny looks) to get my first pait of vezzy"s but buy them 2 a time now. Every foot is different make sure you like them a lot before leaving the store.

Upvote 0

reptar77

Privo Trevion flat is my favorite. It wears like a sneaker but look likes a ballet flat. It comes in a multiple colors.
8170QjuZ1nL._SL1500_.jpg

Upvote 0

Skibum1970

I have flat feet also. Do you use any off the shelf inserts with these shoes?

No. As long as the shoes aren't more than a year old, I'm alright. Once the shoes are around a year old, I replace them as the exterior is beat up and the supports are beat down. I can usually tell when it needs to happen as my lower back will also begin hurting when I'm on concrete for a while.

Upvote 0

jamesgf

I swear by The North Face Ultra 106 gtx trail running shoes. Lightweight, waterproof since they are gore-tex and very breathable (mesh like design with leather). Fantastic support and need no time to break in. I've never had a blister in the parks with these.

Upvote 0

Skibum1970

You know what is sad? I re-read my earlier posts and realize that I sound old. I'm not old but apparently my back and feet are telling a different story. Sheesh, my thirties were easy and I'm barely in my 40's. By the time I'm in my 50's, I hate to think what kind of shape I'll be in.

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
You know what is sad? I re-read my earlier posts and realize that I sound old. I'm not old but apparently my back and feet are telling a different story. Sheesh, my thirties were easy and I'm barely in my 40's. By the time I'm in my 50's, I hate to think what kind of shape I'll be in.
Please I know. Here I am, posting asking about shoes to help my aching back and feet and I am just about to turn 26 years old. YIKES!!!!

Upvote 0

Aurora1

Hi all!

I am looking for a comfortable shoe option to support my feet and back with the amount of walking at the parks that's not sneakers.

Okay so I know this topic has been discussed before. In fact I posted a thread a few years ago about it because I struggle with this so much.
We're going to WDW for our honeymoon this coming Fall and I desperately want to be able to wear skirts and dresses to stay cool. But sneakers and dresses don't mix. Plus their hot.

My problem is that I have some feet and back concerns. My feet become sore very easily and as a result of improper shoes and then my back hurts as well. It's happened a million times to me at WDW while wearing sandals. I don't want this to happen again on any trip, especially our honeymoon but I'd like to wear a type of shoe other than sneakers.

What options have you guys found comfortable that support my back and feet that are not sneakers? Something tried and true that always works for you? And no crocs please! Crocs hurt my feet walking in them with not even close to the amount of walking at Disney so those are out.

Thank you!!! Your input is greatly appreciated!

I usually get really sore feet, and hated wearing sneakers at the parks. My go-to shoes are always flip flops, so my last trip I decided to risk the flip-flops and try it out. For about 2 weeks before my trips I "wore in" 2 pairs of the Old Navy Dollar Flip Flops and wore them every day of my trip and they were great! The key was definitely getting them to fit to my feet beforehand so the newness didn't leave me with sores on my feet!

Upvote 0

jlsHouston

I LOVE Teva's hiking sandals when I'm in WDW
http://www.teva.com/womens-shoes/women,default,sc.html
I wear these at home pretty much all summer, and these in WDW since I can't walk around in flip flops all day. I don't think they'd be cute with dresses, but take a look at their other options. They have some cute stuff, and they have great support since they're made for hiking.

Okay I can vouch that these work for your feet while you have them on, but make sure it is the teva hiking sandal and NOT the flip flop. And this is a hideous ugly shoe...
Crocs work and the Croc store has high heel crocs too. My BFF has like 4 pair of the croc high heel sandal since she is like under 5 feet she always wants heels on...
Before my next trip I am buying a pair of Orthoheel sandals to try and a pair of Brooks Cascadia running shoes and I will update everyone in April on the success with these shoes!

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
I usually get really sore feet, and hated wearing sneakers at the parks. My go-to shoes are always flip flops, so my last trip I decided to risk the flip-flops and try it out. For about 2 weeks before my trips I "wore in" 2 pairs of the Old Navy Dollar Flip Flops and wore them every day of my trip and they were great! The key was definitely getting them to fit to my feet beforehand so the newness didn't leave me with sores on my feet!
Wow that's crazy! I wish I could have faith in this idea but I have done that plenty of trips where I've worn my sandals I wore everyday and still got blisters and had aching feet :(

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom