Need People Opinions

forevermickey

hi all:) I have stayed at only two resorts in WDW.. Caribbean Beach and Wilderness Lodge.. I love the atmosphere at both resorts; though they are polar opposites :) I tried to secure reservations in May through David's Vacation Club for the Wilderness Lodge but was not successful. Here are the other options... can you all give me your opinions, thanks!

Animal Kingdom Villas, Studio-Standard

Animal Kingdom Villas, Studio-Savannah View

Old Key West, Studio

Saratoga Springs Resort, Studio

ParentsOf4

hi all:) I have stayed at only two resorts in WDW.. Caribbean Beach and Wilderness Lodge.. I love the atmosphere at both resorts; though they are polar opposites :) I tried to secure reservations in May through David's Vacation Club for the Wilderness Lodge but was not successful. Here are the other options... can you all give me your opinions, thanks!

Animal Kingdom Villas, Studio-Standard

Animal Kingdom Villas, Studio-Savannah View

Old Key West, Studio

Saratoga Springs Resort, Studio
Given the choice, I suggest AKV Jambo House (i.e. in the main building). It's similar to WL but different enough so that it feels like a new experience. Standard or Savannah view is a matter of preference. It's fun seeing the animals without having to walk to one of the viewing spots but, for us, it's not worth the points. We'd rather save the money and walk to one of the viewing spots for the few times we animal watch. To each his own.

AKV Kidani Village is very nice, if you like the quiet. We prefer the hotel feel of Jambo House.

OKW and SSR are more like CBR, lots of buildings spread out over a large area. I don't meet to be a snob but OKW and SSR feel like Moderate Resorts because of their layouts. Since they cost about the same number of points, I'd pick AKV over OKW and SSR every time.

Upvote 0

bdearl41

Of those four, I think I would do Savannah View without a doubt. It sounds like money isnt really an issue, and you cant beat drinking coffee while watching a Giraffe chase an Ostrich! Also Sanaa and Boma are two of the best restaurants at the world, and they will be just downstairs. Have a great trip!!! My wife love Port Orleans, so that is where we are staying in April.

Upvote 0

thomas998

I would not stay at the Animal Kingdom unless it was cheaper than the other options. We stayed there once, it isn't as easy to get to the parks as it is from your other options, to me it shouldn't be considered a deluxe resort I would consider it a moderate.

I know they like to act like the animals are some big draw, but in our experience we saw many more animals and were closer to the animals at the Animal Kingdom park than at the hotel. The only animals that were close to our room were some giraffes, but they were only close enough to see when they were being herded into their pens at night or being herded out in the mornings... Frankly if you expect animals you will likely be disappointed.

Upvote 0

hiptwinmama

I would not stay at the Animal Kingdom unless it was cheaper than the other options. We stayed there once, it isn't as easy to get to the parks as it is from your other options, to me it shouldn't be considered a deluxe resort I would consider it a moderate.

I know they like to act like the animals are some big draw, but in our experience we saw many more animals and were closer to the animals at the Animal Kingdom park than at the hotel. The only animals that were close to our room were some giraffes, but they were only close enough to see when they were being herded into their pens at night or being herded out in the mornings... Frankly if you expect animals you will likely be disappointed.

Very True.. the animals are not as big a draw as they say they are. But it is still fun to see them each time you come and go. We saw a lot of animals, just nothing like what the portray in the marketing images. It was very amusing, but maybe not enough for it to be the reason to stay there. If you don't mind the distance from the other parks, than it is a great choice. We liked that it was more removed from the parks, and we loved that Kidani Village had a much slower pace and relaxed feel. It felt removed from the craziness that is WDW. There is a little shuttle van that will drive you over to Jambo house if you don't want to drive. We used it several times last year. Samawati Springs (AKA the splash park) at Kidani is fantastic... even in Feb.

Upvote 0

lunchbox1175

I agree that AK is over rated, I would definately do OKW, if i remember correctly, the basics are a little better at OKW like a studio has 2 beds not one like all the other resort studios do. Also, it is closer to the parks which means shorter bus ride, and the boat to DTD is very convenient which is a huge perk for me as we go almost every night after the parks close. Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

bgraham34

I own at both VWL and OKW and I love them both but for different reasons. VWL is great because of the proximity to MK and I love the theming and you really feel like your away in a lodge somewhere. OKW is a more relaxed feeling. Extremely quiet but takes more time to get around. I am not a fan of AKL, i just dont care for the theming. But many people i know love to stay there and compare it to VWL.

SSR is my least favorite of all the DVC resorts. To me it feels more like a condo complex.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom