need opinion

littlemsmowgli

i have been gifted a disney world trip for my college graduation in may of '13, and i'm in charge of planning the trip for my family and i. as of right now, we're considering resorts. usually when we go we stay at the boardwalk, which my family loves because of it's close proximity to epcot, but i'm sort of intrigued by the poly. what are y'all's thoughts? which is your personal favorite, why, and which do you recommend for a family of five? thanks!

cinderellafan6

Love the Poly!!!!! an original and one of my favorites. A couple of years ago we stayed there as a family of five, My parents, my two sisters ages 20 and 18, then myself 24. We were fine sharing a room. There were two beds and a couch to sleep on. The rooms are big there plus the grounds are gorgous!!!

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

My first thought was, a college junior who doesn't use any capital letters while writing, and uses "y'all," just makes me sad. :lookaroun

But the Poly is lovely, the rooms are supposedly the biggest "standard" room any Disney resort has to offer, and being on the monorail is great. The rooms also tend to be more expensive than rooms at the Boardwalk; if your graduation present is a "money is no object" situation, then you've got no worries, but if that change in price might affect how long your vacation is (will your folks compensate for the change in price by knocking a day or two off of your total vacation?), you may not want to stay there.

Also factor in how you usually spend your time when at WDW - monorail resorts are great for people who spend a lot of time at MK, and of course being at the Poly you're also spitting distance from the monorail to Epcot. But if you tend to spend more time at the Studios, or Animal Kingdom, or even Downtown Disney, it might be better to stay closer to where you'll spend at least a plurality of your time.

Being on the monorail also gives you easy access to the Contemporary and Grand Floridian, and their lounges and restaurants. But staying at the Boardwalk gives you access to FOUR other resorts (Yacht Club, Beach Club, Swan & Dolphin) and their restaurants and lounges, to say nothing of the Boardwalk district and the bars/restaurants of World Showcase, all within walking distance. I don't know how much you'll want to cut loose and/or footloose for your graduation present, but if you think you'll have a lot of late nights whooping it up, it may be better to be closer to where most of the Disney-style whooping is done.

Upvote 0

littlemsmowgli

Original Poster
thank you both for the advice! i appreciate it.

My first thought was, a college junior who doesn't use any capital letters while writing, and uses "y'all," just makes me sad. :lookaroun

and don't worry about me. seeing as this atmosphere is about as casual as you can get- a forum about disneyworld- and isn't a formal paper, homework, cover letter, thank you note, etc., i have no qualms with going sans caps and incorporating some regional slang into my post. i'd like to hope that a person's intelligence or ability isn't judged by a sentence or two! :)

again, many thanks!

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

The Poly while nice is not my favorite of the Deluxes I have stayed at. So far it is the Yacht Club but I still have two more resorts to go in that level!!! Great job on the up and coming graduation!!!! Marie

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
i have been gifted a disney world trip for my college graduation in may of '13, and i'm in charge of planning the trip for my family and i. as of right now, we're considering resorts. usually when we go we stay at the boardwalk, which my family loves because of it's close proximity to epcot, but i'm sort of intrigued by the poly. what are y'all's thoughts? which is your personal favorite, why, and which do you recommend for a family of five? thanks!

If you like Epcot resorts, try Yacht Club. Its our fave of the Epcot resorts. Our ultimate fave is Grand Floridian. This year we are trying Poly though. Just for something different.

Upvote 0

Zenmeister

seeing as this atmosphere is about as casual as you can get- a forum about disneyworld- and isn't a formal paper, homework, cover letter, thank you note, etc., i have no qualms with going sans caps and incorporating some regional slang into my post. i'd like to hope that a person's intelligence or ability isn't judged by a sentence or two! :)

again, many thanks!

like :)

Upvote 0

tarin24u

thank you both for the advice! i appreciate it.

and don't worry about me. seeing as this atmosphere is about as casual as you can get- a forum about disneyworld- and isn't a formal paper, homework, cover letter, thank you note, etc., i have no qualms with going sans caps and incorporating some regional slang into my post. i'd like to hope that a person's intelligence or ability isn't judged by a sentence or two! :)

again, many thanks!

:sohappy: Anyway..... Ever think of Beach Club? Loved it and it's in the same area. Room are lovely, food choices are great..... Have fun!

Upvote 0

bmarkelon

I would take everything Slappy said into account. It's really all about making your location convenient to you and what your group will want to do. Our family is still young, DD7, DS 5 and DD 2 so the monorail resort is a no-brainer for us, we hit MK just about everyday at some point.

With that being said it's also always fun to try a new resort so I would absolutely try Poly if you guys haven't yet!

Congrats on your graduation and no better gift than a trip to Disney, happy planning!! :wave:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom