Need help deciding when to go to WDW

anonymousegirl

My best friend and I want to do a girls-only week at WDW next year. We cannot go early June, or between Thanksgiving and New Years (although I think DH and I will go for New Year's Eve/early Jan).

We are slow walkers and hate humidity so it seems like summer is out. But we love the parks at night and we are real night-owls. We could go in January and beat the heat and the crowds, but the early park closing hours bum us out.

So is there a good time to go the the World when we can get late park hours and maybe not so many crowds? Or should we just suck it up and brave the melting heat of August?

Any advice?

yankspy

In March and April there are usually a few weeks when the parks are open a little later. These usually correspond with Easter/spring break. The crowds are a little heavy but the weather is generally very nice. I was there in march and I was able to stay pretty late due to the EMH. I am not sure if you are planning on staying on-site but that is the best way to satisfy your desire to enjoy the parks at night.:wave:

Upvote 0

wdwmomof3

I say go in August/Sept and hope that they offer free dining next year. I have never had a chance to get it for free, but it would be nice for a trip like that with friends. The heat & humidity is bad but it's a great time to visit.

Upvote 0

DivineMadness7

I've never been, but have heard good things about going in May. I would love to see the Flower & Garden festival, it's on my to-see list. Another great time, speaking of festivals, to go is early November. I have been there during that time for the Food and Wine festival. Very nice. Moderate crowds and nice weather. They are starting to put the Christmas decorations up, which is nice.

I have to disagree with the two above posters. I would avoid Easter/spring break at all costs. To say the crowds are "a little heavy" is an understatement. If you can go another time of year, I would.

I would also avoid September if you are wary of humidity. I'm sure free dining is nice, but it's still a little humid and it's hurricane season, I believe. Also, I'm thinking free dining has to contribute to the crowds. Especially since people are hearing more about it and it's become a yearly thing (this is the third year now?) that I think crowds during this time will continue to grow. We have decided to stay away from September, as nice as free dining sounds, it isn't an ideal situation for other reasons. There is a reason they are offering free dining, to fill otherwise empty rooms because school has started back up, the weather, etc.

Just my two cents, of course!

Upvote 0

happymom52003

We went the last week of April in 2006 and 2007.
It is a really nice time to go...weather wise and crowd wise. I imagine May would be about the same.
We went this past January, and honestly I liked April better.
But our very favorite time to go is the first of December (the Christmas decorations are amazing), which I see you can't do. Maybe you could go before Thanksgiving....the xmas decorations should be up.
I hate the heat....I would choose crowds (with the exception of the really peak crowd times such as the week before and after Christmas) or early closings over August any day.
Even if you go during a time of year that the park closes earlier, you can still stay out late. Go to the park that has evening EMH, or go to Pleasure Island.

Upvote 0

anonymousegirl

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. Free dining doesn't mean much for me because my friend is a picky eater who would know a good meal if it bit her.:lol: We probably won't be eating at any of the top recommended restaurants like Chefs de France, or Brown Derby.:cry:

I had thought about early November but for me the xmas decorations are a negative. I KNOW it will be beautiful but my friend has never been to WDW and as I recall, some of the attractions change for xmas and parades too. I'd like her to see the original. I took my niece to Disneyland when she was three (her first visit) and I was disappointed that there were so many changes around xmas. this combined with the super-short opening hours makes November a no-go.

Another quick question: when they run evening Magic Hours, when do they do the fireworks, evening parades, and shows like Fantasmic?

Upvote 0

smk

We are planning a trip for later in October this year, around the 19th. I am hopeful for good weather. The humidty at that time of year is usually low and the warm days feel good to us here in the midwest. I would be very sad if there was a hurricane in the area....I really need this trip, you have no idea how much I want to go! I am going to buy MNSSHP tickets for the 19th, I love that party. I have been in October in the past and found the parks to be less crowded so we are hoping for that this year. Consider going in October, it has worked well for us in the past.

Upvote 0

Cole'sMom

We go yearly in May and September. May weather is beautiful and the crowds are moderate. We have had very little rain and although it is humid, it is nowhere near the levels of September! The Flower and Garden Festival goes on at Epcot-it's very pretty. I would HIGHLY recommend May as a time to go. The parks are open a bit later and many schools are still in session so you won't have huge groups to work around. Whenever you decide to go, you will have an awesome time!

Upvote 0

figment3258

I can only speak from experience. October is beautiful. The Halloween party is great and the weather is perfect. I have to say that i really do enjoy it in August. The end of the month is empty. Sure the weather is hot hot hot but just be smart. Eat lots of ice cream bars and drink lots of water and your fine. we have two little girls and they love the heat. August is also value season so it helps to save a few..

Upvote 0

lac628

We are planning a trip for later in October this year, around the 19th. I am hopeful for good weather. The humidty at that time of year is usually low and the warm days feel good to us here in the midwest. I would be very sad if there was a hurricane in the area....I really need this trip, you have no idea how much I want to go! I am going to buy MNSSHP tickets for the 19th, I love that party. I have been in October in the past and found the parks to be less crowded so we are hoping for that this year. Consider going in October, it has worked well for us in the past.

My sister and BIL live in NJ. They wanted to comedown w/out the kids and wanted a cooler month than the summer months. They chose Oct. 2005. We told them that it's still HOT in Oct, but they didn't listen. They were dying! They said it's way hotter and more humid in Oct. than they thought. Oct is an active time during hurricane season bc it's so hot out. It's doesn't really start cooling off in FL until after Thanksgiving and doesn't really get cool until January. Just thought I'd pass that bit of info on.

Upvote 0

tmaziarz

Dont go in September

September is hurricane season, not worth the chance.

Go Around NOVEMBER 10th, through the 15th and You can catch the end of the International Food And Wine festival at EPCOT and Christmas starts November 12th at Disney.
You will see the park take on a different look and more too do.

Christmas at Disney is even more magical.

You can go to the Merry Christmas parade at MK and see it snow, and check out the lights at Disney Hollywood Studio's.:xmas::sohappy:

DON'T Think Christmas day is the only day DISNEY celebrates the Holiday

Upvote 0

pacochran

We used to love October, when my job permitted me to go that time of year. The only thing is that the parks do start to close on the earlier side, but then agian they are not as crowded (a little more so around Columbus day weekend).

Upvote 0
My family and I have gone to WDW Late Jan./Early February twice and really had no problems. The weather was nice (not too hot...the only bad side being that a water park would be out of the picture) and the crowds were considerably low. You might just need to pack an extra jacket for cool mornings.

Upvote 0

smk

My sister and BIL live in NJ. They wanted to comedown w/out the kids and wanted a cooler month than the summer months. They chose Oct. 2005. We told them that it's still HOT in Oct, but they didn't listen. They were dying! They said it's way hotter and more humid in Oct. than they thought. Oct is an active time during hurricane season bc it's so hot out. It's doesn't really start cooling off in FL until after Thanksgiving and doesn't really get cool until January. Just thought I'd pass that bit of info on.

I went in October 06 and loved the weather. I don't mind the heat, it feels great knowing I am sneaking in the last few warms days I will feel for awhile! In 06 we had days of really warm weather, swimming weather really and then BAM, it got really cold. Lucky for us it was our last night there.

Upvote 0

majorrfb

When to go?

We used to love October, when my job permitted me to go that time of year. The only thing is that the parks do start to close on the earlier side, but then agian they are not as crowded (a little more so around Columbus day weekend).

My wife and I have been to WDW in Jan., Feb., April, Aug., Oct. and Late Nov. into early Dec. Late Oct.. Late Nov. (after Thanksgiving) and early Dec. are great times to see the World. I especially love WDW during early Dec. due to the Christmas decorations. Disney does such and outstanding job of decorating and the weather is perfect!!!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Carolyn1717

Thanks for the advice. Free dining doesn't mean much for me because my friend is a picky eater who would know a good meal if it bit her.:lol: We probably won't be eating at any of the top recommended restaurants like Chefs de France, or Brown Derby.:cry:

I had thought about early November but for me the xmas decorations are a negative. I KNOW it will be beautiful but my friend has never been to WDW and as I recall, some of the attractions change for xmas and parades too. I'd like her to see the original. I took my niece to Disneyland when she was three (her first visit) and I was disappointed that there were so many changes around xmas. this combined with the super-short opening hours makes November a no-go.

Another quick question: when they run evening Magic Hours, when do they do the fireworks, evening parades, and shows like Fantasmic?

Early November is fine, Christmas decorations do not go up until a little before Thanksgiving, with the majority not up and running until the day after Thanksgiving. In the beginning of November you have "ABC Super Soap Weekend" for those soap opera fans. This takes place over at Hollywood Studios (MGM) for those who won't let go!! Weather is great and crowds are not too bad at all.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom