Need Disney therapy/advice

orlando2005

Original Poster
Has anyone moved to Orlando simply because you love Disney and the city? I want to move to Orlando so bad in the next year or 2, but I was wondering if anyone who has moved there regrets it, because now that you're there you feel like the magic is gone since you frequently go there, and it doesn't feel like a vacation anymore, or you still have that "i'm home" feeling. Orlando has all of the theme parks, the ocean 50 miles away, and it's a very clean and growing city on the rise. Central Florida just looks like a great place to move for a single guy coming out of college! Anybody have any personal experiences?

Pongo

Welcome to the boards!

I've lived in Melbourne (an hour east of O-Town) my entire life and I absolutely love being so close to the action. I don't think I would like to live IN Orlando, but in the suburbs around it maybe. Melbourne seems to be the perfect distance, but if you would prefer to be closer, I would suggest Sanford or Lakeland.

As for the loss of magic, it doesn't go away. The magic is there, visit after visit.

Brooke

I've lived 20 minutes away from Disney all my life and I really like it...but I have to admit that it doesn't feel like a vacation or anything because it's not. A lot of my family members and friends only go once a year (and some not at all) because they have somehow gotten sick of it. But if you don't ever picture yourself getting sick of the theme parks (like me!) then you'd probably like living here...I'm not sure if I would move here JUST for Disney, though!

Sledge

Account Suspended
I grew up in Orlando and I love Disney World a lot more after moving away from it. When you live there you sort of take it for granted where as if you live away from it you appreciate it more when you get to go so it is more special. When you live away from WDW you get to actually take vacations there and stay for multiple days and it makes the experience so much better. I wish I could go a lot but it's just more special when you live far from Disney World and only get to go once a year.

Ralph Wiggum

Account Suspended
we moved from IL a year ago. we originally looked at O town, but my wife didn't want to be in the middle of it. so we're east of Tampa, less than an hour from both WDW and the gulf beaches. the great thing is you're not going to live in WDW. there are so many options and things to do, you can divide your time. we rotate parks on the weekends with other activities. it keeps WDW fresh. plus, there's no fighting to max out your vacation time. we take our time in the parks and hit our favorites. there have been days when we go and won't ride more than 2 or 3 things. it's more relaxed, more enjoyable. plus, as a young, single guy....Florida doesn't compare to anywhere for the 'opportunities'. life's great, man. :)

polynesiangirl

I guess I can't _really_ add too much to this thread (since I don't live in FL an never have) but I did want to throw in my thoughts, for what they're worth...

As much as I think it would be AWESOME to get to go more often, and all the great perks that come with being so close to the action, I really do like the whole "big planning" aspect of going to WDW. I like the fact that it's a big production and something I can look forward to for months, and I love the fact that FL has such a great climate compared to where I live that even just the _weather_ is exciting.

I have known a good number of people that went and did the CP/CM thing for a while and they enjoyed it a lot, but as one of my friends put it, it completely changes _how_ you enjoy going to WDW. It's still WDW, you still think it's great but it no longer seems as much like a "vacation" (or at least, it didn't to her.) I think that's kind of where I'd be if I lived in the area because it wouldn't seem like the big, huge, crazy vacation that it is to me now, and I kind of like having it that way.

:)

dixiegirl

i always try to get my husbandto move to florida...but its always the same reply.--which is no, not now! i wantso bad to move there , and people will say "don't you think you'll lose the magic"?...hello we are disney nuts ..my whole freaking house is almost disney(tastefully) i lsiten to disney mucic every day..my kids are brainwashed into the whole love of disney thing...yes i could go on... i want to feel the magic all the time..plus i would just love to work in theh park....although my husmabd does want to drive one of the buses for disney...hay i'll settle for being the turkey leg lady..."thank you and have a magical day the magic kingdom"... yes i practic that little sentence very often.....god...i'm completly nuts!!! :hammer: :hammer:

Debbie

I would think living in the suburbs of Orlando would be nice providing I could find employment to support a lifestyle that could afford to visit Disney a few times a year. I guess it depends on the individual. I live 25 minutes from New Orleans/French Quarter and I can tell you that 1) I never go there 2)Most native N.O. folk don't go to the Quarter for Mardi Gras 3) It would kill me to give up the different, delicious food choices to move somewhere else 4) I sit here thinking that if I lived in the Orlando area; I'd visit WDW so often that I'd be on a first name basis with alot of cast members.

Trishnh

DisneyFreak529 said:
I want to move to sunnier weather because I hate the snow. I have been researching Florida, I have been there lots of time and I love it, my husband loves it. Once I found this link (below) I have been thinking about more and more weather living there would be good for me.. Here is the link....

http://www.tips.devisland.net/relocating-moving-to-florida.html

Wow--you sound like me!! I am so sick of the cold, rainy and snowy seasons that seem to be all year here in NH! We are seriously considering a move to Florida and that link you gave it great so thanks!! :wave:

tinkish

When I think of Florida weather...I think of really nice sunny days...and sometimes hurricanes...so, visiting every once in a while is fine for me right now.

Disneyfan1981

My wife and I are California born and have been here all of our lives, but we both decided that once we hit retirement age we'll take off to Orlando and live out our Golden Years with the mouse. It still a good 40 years off but its a long term thing. I personally would love to live in Orlando and be able to attend all the celebrations and eat at the great restaurants at Epcot all the time and visit the parks whenever I wanted but then again I'm speaking from a vacationeer's standpoint. But just my $.02

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom