Need advice on Resort August 24-31

NWDMD

I read on the board today that there is free dining so we're thinking of going Aug 24-31 to take advantage of that. I went online (and later called) and Pop Century only has standard rooms available during those dates. We prefer the... preferred rooms. Is there something going on at POP during those dates? Pop Warner, Cheerleading or something?

We like POP because it doesn't share buses with anyone and in the preferred rooms its so easy to get from our room to food, to buses. Does anyone have any advice of resorts to stay at?

Thanks!
NWDMD

catne

Free dining is going on! And the Tom Joyner Family weekend event is Labor Day weekend, too. And, it's Labor Day weekend. From what I read on this & other Disney forums, the preferred rooms at POP were gone by midday on April 10 (the first day of general public Free Dining)

Other folks have suggested that you go ahead & book the standard room, and then call back every week or so to see if you can change to a newly available room (because a fair number of people book these vacations, but then can't get the time off or can't get a good enough deal on plane tickets, etc.) Worth a shot, anyway.

Upvote 0

natolij02

I read on the board today that there is free dining so we're thinking of going Aug 24-31 to take advantage of that. I went online (and later called) and Pop Century only has standard rooms available during those dates. We prefer the... preferred rooms. Is there something going on at POP during those dates? Pop Warner, Cheerleading or something?

We like POP because it doesn't share buses with anyone and in the preferred rooms its so easy to get from our room to food, to buses. Does anyone have any advice of resorts to stay at?

Thanks!
NWDMD

I don't know if there is anything going on but, we are booked for POP for those dates as well but in a preferred room. My advice is, if you want to go, you should book it ASAP as they are filling up quickly!!! My guess is that you are not able to get a preferred room because even though the resort is not completley booked....they only offer so many rooms in each category for free dining. I would not wait much longer to book. You can always call and modify your reservation and check to see if preferred rooms become available. If you actually call disney instead of checking online, they can do more for you than trying to find rooms online. They are the ones that told me to keep calling back and checking to see if more rooms were available (as we added a day). We originally booked 5nights/6days and 3 days later they were able to add on an extra day in our preferred room category making it 6nights/7days. Just keep calling.....it really does pay off to keep checking. Alot of people book but never follow through with their $200 deposit and thats how rooms become available. Good luck and hey maybe we will cross paths down there:wave:

Also, I wouldn't expect cheerleading or pop warner there at that time due to the fact schools would have just started in the south and are not even in session up north....so I wouldn't fret it!

Upvote 0

natolij02

Free dining is going on! And the Tom Joyner Family weekend event is Labor Day weekend, too. And, it's Labor Day weekend. From what I read on this & other Disney forums, the preferred rooms at POP were gone by midday on April 10 (the first day of general public Free Dining)

Other folks have suggested that you go ahead & book the standard room, and then call back every week or so to see if you can change to a newly available room (because a fair number of people book these vacations, but then can't get the time off or can't get a good enough deal on plane tickets, etc.) Worth a shot, anyway.

Whats the Tom Joyner Family Weekend Event????

Upvote 0

catne

http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID10017430.asp

Tom Joyner is a major radio talkshow host...the "family reunion" is an event scheduled in Orlando every year around Labor Day weekend for his listeners. they do not all stay at WDW (I saw references to events at Gaylord Convention Center, and also Universal Studios also.) Don't know how great of an impact this group actually has on WDW, but original poster did ask what was going on that could affect available rezzies.

Upvote 0

natolij02

http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID10017430.asp

Tom Joyner is a major radio talkshow host...the "family reunion" is an event scheduled in Orlando every year around Labor Day weekend for his listeners. they do not all stay at WDW (I saw references to events at Gaylord Convention Center, and also Universal Studios also.) Don't know how great of an impact this group actually has on WDW, but original poster did ask what was going on that could affect available rezzies.

Thank you for explaining.....I was down there last year for Labor day weekend and Labor Day.....didn't notice a huge impact from a group.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy

Thanks!
NWDMD

As has already been said, it's the holiday weekend. Any time these specials are offered, they are for a limited block of rooms, so as they sell out, even though there may be general room availability, there may be none for the promotion. I agree with the idea of making the ressie and trying to upgrade later. As for other resorts, my suggestion would be POR Riverside then French Quarter. The other moderates CR or CS might have some availabilty as well.

Whats the Tom Joyner Family Weekend Event????

Here is information from allearsnet from a previous year's Tom Joyner:

Tom Joyner, host of the nation's No. 1 urban morning radio show, is the celebrity host for the nation's largest Labor Day weekend family reunion celebration -- involving his "extended family" of listeners who are treated to performances by some of the country's best-known musicians, comedians and gospel acts plus theme park fun, parties, family fitness workouts, book club discussions and a slate of family-oriented events to delight guests of every age. The celebrity lineup of entertainers will include Aretha Franklin, Sinbad, LL Cool J, Chris Brown, Ne-yo, Keyshia Cole -- and more! For more information about the events and to book specially priced packages, log onto blackamericaweb.com or call 1-888/TJ-FAMILY (888/853-2645) 8:30 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Friday, and 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

May I suggest you try one of the All-Star resorts...

I personally am a fan of the AS Music but they're all pretty much the same. The AS (at least AS Music does) have recently renovated rooms and they're really fresh and clean. I was there in June and there was NO bus sharing with the other resorts. AS Music had it's own bus the whole time! I don't know what it's like the end of August!:shrug: The AS are also smaller resorts so if you do end up in a standard room you could still be fairly close to the lobby/main building. I was in standard room location last June and I was in the second building from the lobby (Jazz building) - really close!

Me personally, I would try for one of the AS resorts - I think you would have a better chance at getting preferred location and if you couldn't you could always reguest one of the closer buildings just before you're due to arrive!

Good luck and have a great vacation!:wave:

Upvote 0

Tweedle Adie

I have 2 suggestions
The first being call every morning as soon as the phone lines open (which I believe is 7:30 AM ET). I was told by a CM that any cancellations are done by the computer at midnight, and first thing in the morning is your best shot at getting what you are looking for.

The other suggestion I have is if the buses are a problem, while there over New Years we took the ME from the airport to the hotel, we arranged with Enterprise to pick us up at the hotel and rented a car from the Marriot World Center Dr location, which was half the price of the airport. This gave us the freedom to go where we wanted and not have to wait for the bus. There were many days when we were very thankful as the bus lines were very very very long.

Upvote 0

Disneykidder

Phone lines open at 7am eastern time so I agree, call each and every morning and I am sure you will get what you want.

If not, you can always stay with us at ASMusic from 8/24-31. :wave: We stayed at Pop last year and LOVED it. We just like to try new resorts each year. I hope I am not going to regret it due to busing issues, but the newly renovated rooms will be worth it, I hope!:)

Upvote 0

NWDMD

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. I booked a standard room and I'll set the alarm so I call everyday at 7am. And to think, I wasn't going to be going until December until I read about free dining today on this site. Now I'm going in August AND December!!! Woo Hoo!

NWDMD

Upvote 0

Tinkrbell

My mom called Sunday morning & was told that everything was booked at Pop for Aug. 24-28. We ended up with a room at ASMusic. We might end up cancelling if I don't get into the CareerStart program, which has a check-in date of Aug. 25. I already got my mom a ressie for Ohana's for the first night I'm in my apartment because she'll be there on her own for a few days before heading home in case I need anything from the store & can't get there on the bus.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom