Need advice about CBR

PolynesianStar

My boyfriend and I are planning our next trip to WDW. It will be our longest so far two full weeks. We are splitting our stay between two resorts, Pop and either a moderate or a deluxe resort. Two moderates are interesting for us, Coronado Springs and Carribean Beach. We already stayed at the CS and we really liked it. But although we are interested in the CB too we read some bad critics about it. Did you stay there and how did you like it? Do you have any special advices? Thanks a lot.

I stayed at CBR last July with my girlfriend. We enjoyed the resort very much, particularly the individual pools at each building and the nice food court/gift shop/themed pool. The beach is nice too, with hammocks and sand, and there are some great views of Illuminations.

The rooms are basically the same as a value resort, just a little bit bigger. It's structured like a motel as well, with the entrance to all rooms being outside.

The biggest issue with the resort is its size and the busses. Depending on which Island your room is in, you might be waiting upwards of 30 minutes for a bus to come to your stop to take you to the park you are going to that day. Each bus loops around the entire resort too, and the routes are not always the same, so on one day your island may be the first stop and the next, by the time the bus gets to you, it may be too full. There's also no rhyme or reason as to which bus is going to which park and at what time. The good news is the bus stops are shaded and have drink vending machines, which is better than the big bus stop at the Pop or other value resorts.

So there are definitely pros and cons. It's a very pretty resort with fairly nice amenities for the prices, but there are also some major hassles. I would likely sooner stay at the Pop (which I am, this July) next or try another moderate or even deluxe resort, which I probably will in December or next Spring.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

I would like to clarify a lot of the information presented above.

The CBR buses do not start and random places. Buses headed for Magic Kingdom and buses headed for Downtown Disney start at Martinique, and then go clockwise. Buses headed to Epcot, to Animal Kingdom and to Disney's Hollywood Studios start at Jamaica and then go clockwise. It is NOT random.

Waiting 30 minutes for a bus should be a VERY unusual circumstance. Disney aims to run buses to each location no longer than 20 minutes apart. 30 minutes can happen but shouldn't be expected.

There are many substantial differences between the Values and the Moderates beyond simply room size (Value rooms are 260 square feet, CBR's are 340). Here are some things that a Moderate has that Values do not: table-service restaurant, pool slide at the main pool, pool towels at the main pool, hot tub at the main pool, in-room refrigerator, covered bus stops (think protection from rain and hot sun), 24-hour on-demand Bell Services (as opposed to the time-limited Luggage Assistance that you have to make an appointment for), two sinks in the bathroom, multiple internal bus stops (meaning that no room is too far of a walk from a bus stop) and some sort of additional recreational activity (e.g., rental boats, rental bikes, fishing, carriage rides). In addition, Coronado Springs and the Port Orleans resorts have queen-size beds (CBR still has the double beds just like the Values).

Upvote 0

The CBR buses do not start and random places. Buses headed for Magic Kingdom and buses headed for Downtown Disney start at Martinique, and then go clockwise. Buses headed to Epcot, to Animal Kingdom and to Disney's Hollywood Studios start at Jamaica and then go clockwise. It is NOT random.

Waiting 30 minutes for a bus should be a VERY unusual circumstance. Disney aims to run buses to each location no longer than 20 minutes apart. 30 minutes can happen but shouldn't be expected.

There are many substantial differences between the Values and the Moderates beyond simply room size (Value rooms are 260 square feet, CBR's are 340). Here are some things that a Moderate has that Values do not: table-service restaurant, pool slide at the main pool, pool towels at the main pool, hot tub at the main pool, in-room refrigerator, covered bus stops (think protection from rain and hot sun), 24-hour on-demand Bell Services (as opposed to the time-limited Luggage Assistance that you have to make an appointment for), two sinks in the bathroom, multiple internal bus stops (meaning that no room is too far of a walk from a bus stop) and some sort of additional recreational activity (e.g., rental boats, rental bikes, fishing, carriage rides). In addition, Coronado Springs and the Port Orleans resorts have queen-size beds (CBR still has the double beds just like the Values).

Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't trying to present 100% accurate information but rather my year later impression on the trip.

I will say that it did definitely seem as if the buses arrived at random. On some mornings we got 3 Magic Kingdom busses in a row and had to wait well over 30 minutes for a bus to the Animal Kingdom, for example. I am sure they have a plan but I'm not sure they always abide by it, or at least are able to, particularly when a bus arrives at your stop and it is already full.

The other amenities were nice but I don't think there's a substantial enough difference between the Values and the Moderates to make it worth it for me. Again, just my impression. Plus, the table service restaurant at CBR is not very good at all. The food court, for me, had better food.

I did enjoy the resort but I wouldn't return with so many other options. I would try the other moderates, though. Perhaps my experience would be better.

Ultimately it is all about choosing what is important to you as a guest vs. the cost of the room.

Upvote 0

Pooh'sBuddy

I concur. We stayed in Jamaica and loved catching the buses that came in off the road to the East, made two more stops and were off to the parks. We went in January (not sure when you're going) and never waited more than the predicted 10-15 minutes for a bus the entire week we were there.

I don't have any specific helpful hints, but we didn't mind the walk to OPR (main building) with all the beautiful landscaping to look at.

Upvote 0

docdebbi

i highly recommend cbr. i usually stay deluxes, but stayed cbr twice with family, and i say it compares favorably.
i really enjoy the grounds. the resort is indeed very large, while some find it a drawback, i dont. i like walking around the grounds. the kids always LOVE walking around the grounds! the island is a highlight for the kids. i love going out in the morning and seeing all the wildlife, the mist on the water, hearing the birds.....it's just a great place.
because of the negative reviews on here, i specifically gave my room the once over last time (march 2011). it was clean, in good repair, housekeeping was great, refrig worked perfectly....not sure what people expect from disney. not every room can be perfect at all times, that's why they have maintenance departments! but it seems the ones who write reviews here always seem to have the rare exception bad room, i never have.
i say go!

Upvote 0

wendysue

We too, have stayed at CBR several times and always had a good experience. We never waited longer than 10 min. for our bus. We do like to get a preferred room closer to the food court/gift shop area. We will stay there again at some future date.

Upvote 0

forevermickey

Hi :wave: I have stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort for years on end... don't remember how many times:confused: I have never had a bad stay. One time I felt my room was not cleaned properly and I called the front desk and nicely asked if someone could come up and clean. I LOVE CBR. I LOVE the landscaping and all the acreage ( 1.5 )mile promenade. It is so pretty and at night so peaceful. I love that each cluster of island hotels has it's own pool so I never feel over crowded but can also go to the main pool which is nice as well. The rooms, if I am correct are as big as you can get for a moderate and even a little larger than some deluxe rooms. They are nothing over the top or special but suffice.. .. the property makes up for anything lacking in the room. I love the feel of Port Royal when I walk through to either visit the gift shop or grab something quick to eat. I would give it a shot and if you are having a HORRIBLE experience you could always see if you could transfer over to CS. I understand change is hard. Last year we really had a hard time because we felt we wanted to try a new place, a Deluxe Resort. It was nerve racking because I know what I LOVE about CBR and I was afraid I would miss those things if I changed hotels. Good luck with your choice and regardless it will be great because you are in Disney!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

forevermickey

i highly recommend cbr. i usually stay deluxes, but stayed cbr twice with family, and i say it compares favorably.
i really enjoy the grounds. the resort is indeed very large, while some find it a drawback, i dont. i like walking around the grounds. the kids always LOVE walking around the grounds! the island is a highlight for the kids. i love going out in the morning and seeing all the wildlife, the mist on the water, hearing the birds.....it's just a great place.
because of the negative reviews on here, i specifically gave my room the once over last time (march 2011). it was clean, in good repair, housekeeping was great, refrig worked perfectly....not sure what people expect from disney. not every room can be perfect at all times, that's why they have maintenance departments! but it seems the ones who write reviews here always seem to have the rare exception bad room, i never have.
i say go!
I couldn't agree with you more on all accounts :)

Upvote 0

b94ronman

Stayed there in December and was a little afraid of what to expect after reading what people had written on this board......I found the place to be the total opposite......mouse keeping Was very good, bus service for me was never more than 10 minutes to any park and plenty of busses waiting after parks closed. The resort is big, I stayed in Barbados which was directly behind the custom house where you check-in and no more than a 3 minute walk to port royale....some areas are further....but I've stayed at pop many times in the rubiks cube buildings and they are definitely further away...the pool and beach area are awesome.....I liked it so much I rebooked for october.....no matter where you stay, im sure there is good and bad....ive stayed everywhere from allstars to the contemporary......it's Disney....I'm sure you'll have fun.

Upvote 0

mickey2008.1

Staying at cbr again in Sept. Its fantastic! Bussing is never a problem. Stayed at Poly past Dec. and actually had to catch a cab with others in tow!!! The rooms are of good size, while not that updated. Starting to show some wear. Great views, pool, and food court. Poly is a great resort, but for the money, CBR is worth it over a value. The seclusion alone makes it. Plus a $20 round trip to hesss to get water and simple necesseties is the best. The theming is awesome. If you want tropical feel, you definitely get it at CBR.

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
My boyfriend and I are planning our next trip to WDW. It will be our longest so far two full weeks. We are splitting our stay between two resorts, Pop and either a moderate or a deluxe resort. Two moderates are interesting for us, Coronado Springs and Carribean Beach. We already stayed at the CS and we really liked it. But although we are interested in the CB too we read some bad critics about it. Did you stay there and how did you like it? Do you have any special advices? Thanks a lot.

You can stay in a pirate bed at CBR! Who doesn't love a pirate boat bed! :sohappy: I have not stayed at either, but I prefer the theme of CBR over CS.

Upvote 0

tmstephe

We stayed at CBR with DS3 and DD1 and had a great time. Like everyone has said above, buses will be hit and miss at every resort, but CBR does have a pattern. We didn't mind the internal bus, or the walk around the beautiful grounds. The room was clean and the stay was great for all of us. I would recommend Aruba or Jamaica - you dont have to pay for "preferred" rooms, vut you're very close to the bridge across Caribbean Cay to OPR. Enjoy!

Upvote 0

420WDW MONSTER

i loved it!! we stayed there on our honeymoon march 2010. it was our first trip to disney world and disney hotel. we had a water view in barbados, which was really far from the food court. we had a rental car so it didn't matter to us. it was really peacefull, nice at night. the room did smell a little moldy but it didn't really bother us. every morning we would get breakfast and eat outside by the water. we are only staying at akv this time bcuz we our taking our family and would to check out the diffrent resort but next time i am coming back to cbr
good luck with your choice!:wave:

Upvote 0

PolynesianStar

Original Poster
After your positive reviews of the CBR I grew on the resort and started to put it into my trip planning. But now I am a little concerned about the AC.
I'm was a little shocked when i saw the air conditioning units in the CBR on photos because they were not of the more technologically advanced integrated type like at the Pop or WL but the classic motel "under-the-window"-type, which I always experienced in a lot of hotels (Radisson Inn, Comfort Inn etc.) as being quite noisy and so far have never seen in any Disney Resort (not even Pop!). I would not want to stay at a hotel with a loud AC as we are not used to the sound and want our AC as silent as possible (as e.g. in the Pop or WL or CS).
Could you tell me how loud these AC-units under the windows are compared to the other Disney resorts? Or are not all rooms equipped with this model?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom