News Nearly all rides at Disney’s Hollywood Studios have waits above 2 hours at a very busy Walt Disney World

TrainsOfDisney

Most likely due to ride closures as well. If you redeem a Genie or ILL and the ride breaks down they often will issue an additional one as “compensation”. This pressures them to move the LL faster and more frequently, ironically increasing the standby even worse
That’s what happened to me on my last visit when waiting for slinky dog. It’s honestly criminal to alter the standby to LL ratios that much.

When I entered the line it was posted 50 minutes - I ended up waiting a little over
90 minutes not because of any slinky dog breakdowns but because they got a bunch LL’s from another attraction.

yensidtlaw1969

I can't help but wonder how many people who experience a day like this look and say "never again!!"

Obviously this is a rare and accidental occurance, but this kind of problem could absolutely be relieved by a properly built-out park. Instead they seek to skate by on the minimum necessary amount of attractions and simply pray days like this don't happen.

35 years in, Hollywood Studios should absolutely be in a better position than this.

BrianLo

On the flip side, it’s raining this morning and the actual wait time for SDMT is 5 minutes.

Boarding group for Tron is up to 32 and it’s been 40 minutes since park opening. I assume people just aren’t showing up or missing their window.

Ayla

I can't help but wonder how many people who experience a day like this look and say "never again!!"

Obviously this is a rare and accidental occurance, but this kind of problem could absolutely be relieved by a properly built-out park. Instead they seek to skate by on the minimum necessary amount of attractions and simply pray days like this don't happen.

35 years in, Hollywood Studios should absolutely be in a better position than this.
It isn't so rare, anymore.

yensidtlaw1969

It’s not rare, and I really can’t call it accidental. There are all kinds of stories out there about how Disney has cut back on maintenance to save money.
It isn't so rare, anymore.

I mean, it's pretty rare - when's the last time WDWMagic ran an article with the headline "Nearly all rides at Disney’s Hollywood Studios have waits above 2 hours"?

That said, I think my post indicated pretty clearly that I think Disney should absolutely be expected to do better. It should never get anywhere near this bad.

Animaniac93-98

Disney didn't want to invest a lot of money just in case situations like this happen.

But a series of poor decisions over the course of many years have now guaranteed this will occur more often.

A park with so few rides (many with low capacity and reliability) and a severe lack of anything else, now cannot survive even moderately crowded days. There simply isn't anywhere for all these people to go but the same few places.

If this park existed outside the bubble of WDW, it would fail as a business venture. A handful of headline draws and multi-day tickets guarantee a pre-paid, built in audience that I would argue would never bother putting up with such hassles to visit.

Animaniac93-98

On the flip side, it’s raining this morning and the actual wait time for SDMT is 5 minutes.

Boarding group for Tron is up to 32 and it’s been 40 minutes since park opening. I assume people just aren’t showing up or missing their window.

This happened the last time I was there during Marathon weekend. The poor weather kept most people out of the parks.

erasure fan1

I mean, it's pretty rare - when's the last time WDWMagic ran an article with the headline "Nearly all rides at Disney’s Hollywood Studios have waits above 2 hours"?
It might be rare for most of the major rides being over 2hrs. But the situation of rides breaking down and throwing the park into wait times well over normal isn't rare at all. It was happening this summer when we were at the studios. It was constant issues with Rise, tower, Mickey... The park was an absolute joke.
That said, I think my post indicated pretty clearly that I think Disney should absolutely be expected to do better. It should never get anywhere near this bad.
Agreed, but it does get near that bad a lot during the busy times. This is a self induced problem, 100%. The park is severely lacking in attractions and can't handle a couple major rides having downtime. You're right they should be expected to do better, and hopefully this kind of stuff catches up to them and we see major decreases in attendance and spending in the parks. That's the only thing that might light a fire under Disney to strive to be the gold standard again.

Touchdown

At least now I’ll be able to escape it if I find it, because Epcot is so close and full of low wait attractions and shows. DHS has my favorite ride, my second favorite ride, 4 rides I could reride multiple times and not get bored and one of my favorite night shows, but it’s by far my least favorite park and I almost always leave it happy to be leaving. It’s so sad. This park desperately needs 2-3 high capacity ominmover/boat rides to really distribute the crowds.

UNCgolf

The Hollywood Studios of 20 years ago was probably in better shape than the current version for days like this, mainly because it was heavier on shows/entertainment that weren't really in danger of ever going down.

That's not arguing it was a better park then (I think it was a better park for me personally, but that's for other reasons), but it's part of the problem with a bunch of replacements instead of new builds.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom