Na'vi River Journey reviews, comments and questions

Scuttle

As you know I've not visited in person yet (no secret) but have seen a lot of things about every detail of every part shall we say. You know me. For the budget and for what the park needed the headline E is sorely missing. Nine minutes of new ride time is a let down. The land looks fantastic, as I said it would, but the themed environment is a means to an end. The end being nine minutes of ride time. Albeit with highly themed queues, as I said they would be.

My opinion of course. I still look forward to experiencing it in the fall.
The river ride should be 1-2 minutes longer I couldn't agree more. Just adding one more show room and another AA would have done wonders. But I still absolutely loved the ride. The video doesn't capture near all the movements the singing shaman makes in person.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The river ride should be 1-2 minutes longer I couldn't agree more. Just adding one more show room and another AA would have done wonders. But I still absolutely loved the ride. The video doesn't capture near all the movements the singing shaman makes in person.
It is a very impressive figure, yes. Enough research and work went into it.

Last edited:

doctornick

i actually mentioned this in an earlier thread
Sigourney Weaver narrating what we are seeing would ve been better IMO

I can understand the ride trying to be "real" by not having a recorded narration (as that would arguably destroy the illusion), but perhaps either a pre-show discussion what you might see or a "field guide" on the walls in the queue before loading might have been beneficial to help enhance the ride experience.

doctornick

I think, as many have said, that adding some moving figures (not even AAs necessarily) might have made a significant difference to how those "disappointed" in the ride might have otherwise reacted. Just some tangible larger animals. And another minute or two of ride time could have helped; however, those who think the ride is "boring" or "without a story" probably would feel a longer ride is even worse.

Again, I haven't experienced it, but just remarking based on what other have said.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
If I may ask, what was the lasting impression from those who rode? No doubt it's visually beautiful and detailed, but in terms of ride time and the overall experience, did you leave "satisfied" with the ride?

I just think about the first year this is in operation and people waiting an hour or more to ride and if the ride will live up to the wait (in their minds).

It was visually beautiful, but some of the details were cheesy while others were really well done. The use of screens took away from it somewhat rather than add depth like you'd expect, and the lack of any story line makes it a one and done kind of ride. The shaman made no sense at all, and wasn't smooth in terms of vocal delivery. I went, and then went again since there was no line just to make sure I didn't miss anything and I really didn't like it either time. I won't waste any time riding it again.

Clamman73

Does the boat make a full stop at the Shaman as part of the ride profile, or always moving slowly past?
At unload, is there a boat backup like Pirates and Splash get from time to time?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I can understand the ride trying to be "real" by not having a recorded narration (as that would arguably destroy the illusion), but perhaps either a pre-show discussion what you might see or a "field guide" on the walls in the queue before loading might have been beneficial to help enhance the ride experience.

I actually think narration would fit in fine. The whole back story of the land is that you are being taken expedition by ACE, so narration in the boat ride is totally consistent with this.

doctornick

I actually think narration would fit in fine. The whole back story of the land is that you are being taken expedition by ACE, so narration in the boat ride is totally consistent with this.

Sure, but I meant more in the sense as to the "purpose" of the ride. I think what they were going for was a concept that you the guest are exploring and discovering on your own, not that you were being taken on a guided tour.

Now, one could argue that that isn't what they should have gone for as a ride concept, but I'm not sure that narration fits into their intentions. Just my thought, again I haven't ridden it (or watched any videos of it).

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Does the boat make a full stop at the Shaman as part of the ride profile, or always moving slowly past?
At unload, is there a boat backup like Pirates and Splash get from time to time?
There is no stop at the Shaman, and during preview it has not been backing up. But it is difficult to say at what capacity it is being ran at.

tribbleorlfl

I really enjoyed NRJ, as did I the whole Pandora area. It's a relaxing, immersive experience with lots of eye candy. I don't think it's fair to call it filler or a diversion as it's an experience, albeit brief, that stands on its own.

I like how the screens are incorporated into the physical scenery and have multiple layers for depth. And the Avatar musical theme builds through the attraction , culminating in that breathtaking AA, which is very effective.

That being said, my main critique is pretty similar to everyone else's: it needs more physical animals/Na'vi. For example, the first Na'vi sentinel at the beginning; he stands still and just says a few words. There is no reason he couldn't have been a limited movement AA. In the stretch between the overhead leaves and the scenes of the Na'vi processional, there's really only 2 animal sitings (the centipedes crawling and those deer things) and they're both projections. This would have been a perfect spot for a physical animal, maybe a head of one of those hammerhead rhinos poking out from the forest and drinking from the river.

I also agree with most this could have really used at least one additional scene. I believe the whole point of this attraction is to demonstrate the Na'vi's spirituality and connection with the Flora and Fauna; if that's the case, I think it's a big misstep to not feature a scene with the Tree of Voices or Souls. Not only would it have a visually-impressive set piece, but it's a major element of their faith to not demonstrate.

My only other observation is that the land as a whole does an amazing job of setting a theme and story of the ecosystem starting to recover from RDA's destruction by showing company equipment being repurposed and structures crumbling and being reclaimed by nature. I believe it's implied the NRJ takes place in a former mining site, but it doesn't look like they fully-followed the themeing to communicate that in the queue or loading platform. I think they really could have used more mining equipment strewn about.

A few changes and I think this could have been a solid D ticket, A Grade attraction. As it stands I agree with the C ticket designation and would grade it as a B or B+. Definitely will re-ride it if it has a minimal wait or need to get out of the elements).

Scuttle

I really enjoyed NRJ, as did I the whole Pandora area. It's a relaxing, immersive experience with lots of eye candy. I don't think it's fair to call it filler or a diversion as it's an experience, albeit brief, that stands on its own.

I like how the screens are incorporated into the physical scenery and have multiple layers for depth. And the Avatar musical theme builds through the attraction , culminating in that breathtaking AA, which is very effective.

That being said, my main critique is pretty similar to everyone else's: it needs more physical animals/Na'vi. For example, the first Na'vi sentinel at the beginning; he stands still and just says a few words. There is no reason he couldn't have been a limited movement AA. In the stretch between the overhead leaves and the scenes of the Na'vi processional, there's really only 2 animal sitings (the centipedes crawling and those deer things) and they're both projections. This would have been a perfect spot for a physical animal, maybe a head of one of those hammerhead rhinos poking out from the forest and drinking from the river.

I also agree with most this could have really used at least one additional scene. I believe the whole point of this attraction is to demonstrate the Na'vi's spirituality and connection with the Flora and Fauna; if that's the case, I think it's a big misstep to not feature a scene with the Tree of Voices or Souls. Not only would it have a visually-impressive set piece, but it's a major element of their faith to not demonstrate.

My only other observation is that the land as a whole does an amazing job of setting a theme and story of the ecosystem starting to recover from RDA's destruction by showing company equipment being repurposed and structures crumbling and being reclaimed by nature. I believe it's implied the NRJ takes place in a former mining site, but it doesn't look like they fully-followed the themeing to communicate that in the queue or loading platform. I think they really could have used more mining equipment strewn about.

A few changes and I think this could have been a solid D ticket, A Grade attraction. As it stands I agree with the C ticket designation and would grade it as a B or B+. Definitely will re-ride it if it has a minimal wait or need to get out of the elements).
There were some butterfly type limited movement AAs, a la Jungle Cruise.

I actually thought the projections were well done. It added depth in parts that weren't possible.

WDWGuide

I rode the River Journey twice yesterday, and quite enjoyed it. In my opinion, this may not be the ride a lot of Disney fans wanted, but it's a ride that the Animal Kingdom needed (there are not a whole lot of rides accessible to the whole family). It's a relaxing dark ride with beautiful scenery, a great animatronic, and good integration of physical sets, simple but effective effects, and screens. I don't think I would get in line if the posted wait is much longer than 20 minutes, but I am glad the ride is there.
That said, it would be nice if there was a bit more "activity" in the early part of the ride (another couple of animal animatronics, maybe), and some sort of pre-show narrative where the guest was given an idea of why they are supposed to seek out the Shaman of Songs.

As I expected, just like the Avatar movie. Once you get past how pretty it is...there's nothing else there.

Disney really isn't blowing my doors off these days. Their newer attractions seem to be style over substance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom