Narnia Attraction

ms7479a

Original Poster
The Chronicles of Narnia is, in my opinion, an awsome movie and with it already grossing over $65 million, it seems as though Disney has a hit (and having the rights to all the other books could mean sequels). Anyway, I was thinking that it would be great to have a Narnia-based attraction at WDW. The question many people raise is where would it go? Well, I was recently looking at a map of Magic Kingdom and was surprised that I had never really noticed how much "wasted space" is being used up by Tom Sawyer Island. Now I'm not saying the Tom Sawyer Island is bad but rather I feel it could be put to better use, like an entirely Narnia-based land.

Connor002

A. Narnia does not fit the theme of Frontierland
B. At this point, it's too early to tell if the movie will do well enough to warrent an attraction
C. Tom Sawyer Island is limited by it's location, guest transport [most likely] isn't capable of handling the type of crowds generated

I could go on, but unless you can bring up some good points, I feel no need to.

Captain Hank

I'll agree with Connor on all three points above. Tom Sawyer Island just isn't the right location for a Narnia attraction (besides the prop and set showcase that's currently in MGM). However, correct me if I'm wrong (I've not yet seen the movie, and I haven't read the book, both are on my to-do list), but the storyline of Narnia seems to fit Fantasyland rather well. In fact, Disneyland has a small meet and greet with the White Witch in their Fantasyland. Now, didn't a rather sizable piece of Fantasyland real estate just become available? If the movie proves endearing, couldn't it possibly find a home on the old site of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea?

Connor002

Captain Hank said:
If the movie proves endearing, couldn't it possibly find a home on the old site of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea?

Yes, but that begs the questions "If?" and/or "When?"

Both of which we do not yet know.

ms7479a

Original Poster
I think Narnia should be more than just an attraction in a particular land. It is so massive in scope that it could easily be its own land in itself.

Captain Hank

Connor002 said:
Yes, but that begs the questions "If?" and/or "When?"

Both of which we do not yet know.
Of course. It's too early to really tell how the movie/possible series will endure (though early indications look good).

[Incoming pure speculation]If it's a success, and Disney ends up making the whole series, I'd expect an attraction (if any) to premier in conjunction with one of the movie releases. (again PURE SPECULATION based on previous instances of Disney corporate synergy.) It'd be a really good case of cross-publicity.

Now, I really must get around to seeing the movie and reading the book...

Connor002

ms7479a said:
I think Narnia should be more than just an attraction in a particular land. It is so massive in scope that it could easily be its own land in itself.

But not on Tom Sawyer Island. ;) There just isn't enough space to support such things, not to mention the fact it is cut off from the rest of the park. (i.e. It's not connect to the waste removal system, or the ultilidors)

Connor002

Captain Hank said:
Of course. It's too early to really tell how the movie/possible series will endure (though early indications look good).

[Incoming pure speculation]If it's a success, and Disney ends up making the whole series, I'd expect an attraction (if any) to premier in conjunction with one of the movie releases. (again PURE SPECULATION based on previous instances of Disney corporate synergy.) It'd be a really good case of cross-publicity.

Now, I really must get around to seeing the movie and reading the book...

I could easily see something og Narnia in the futrue, but not on Tom Sawyer's Island. I would guess AK of the 20k plot, but then of course, the Studios are a possibility as well...

ms7479a

Original Poster
Looking at this map of Magic Kingdom, it seems as though there is nothing behind Fantasyland, a Narnia-themed land would work well there as it is a good segway from Fantasyland but I still think that the land could flow over onto the current Tom Sawyer Island.
mkmap1.jpg

ms7479a

Original Poster
Wouldn't it be great if Disney got the rights to Lord of the Rings. That way you could have a really awsome mystical land encorporating two of the greatest Fantasy world ever created. There would probably be enough between the two to create an entire park (but that would be pushing it).

Captain Hank

Connor002 said:
I could easily see something og Narnia in the futrue, but not on Tom Sawyer's Island. I would guess AK of the 20k plot, but then of course, the Studios are a possibility as well...
True, but there isn't a huge amount of space in the Studios, though. I suppose if they were to take out Indiana Jones, perhaps. Or, perhaps, if they were to take out the Backlot Tour and convert the Catastrophe Canyon/Boneyard area into a Narnia area. However, this would be a lot of extra work when they have already cleared land in the MK on the old 20K plot.

I'm not sure why, but I just don't see this coming to AK either. Maybe if Beastly Kingdom had come to be, but I really think it would seem out of place now. While AK strives for absolute realism (save for the occasional Yeti), Narnia seems to be a fantasy world that would seem incompatable with the current state of AK.

ms7479a

Original Poster
Captain Hank said:
True, but there isn't a huge amount of space in the Studios, though. I suppose if they were to take out Indiana Jones, perhaps. Or, perhaps, if they were to take out the Backlot Tour and convert the Catastrophe Canyon/Boneyard area into a Narnia area. However, this would be a lot of extra work when they have already cleared land in the MK on the old 20K plot.

I'm not sure why, but I just don't see this coming to AK either. Maybe if Beastly Kingdom had come to be, but I really think it would seem out of place now. While AK strives for absolute realism (save for the occasional Yeti), Narnia seems to be a fantasy world that would seem incompatable with the current state of AK.

Well that doesn't leave many options for where to put a Narnia attraction, let alone an entire Narnia land.

Connor002

ms7479a said:
Looking at this map of Magic Kingdom, it seems as though there is nothing behind Fantasyland, a Narnia-themed land would work well there as it is a good segway from Fantasyland but I still think that the land could flow over onto the current Tom Sawyer Island.
mkmap1.jpg

Well, where to start?

The maps are NOT to scale.
The maps do not include the showbuildings or ultility buildings.

Captain Hank

ms7479a said:
mkmap1.jpg
While a Narnia are on Tom Sawyer's Island could be considered a seperate land, the problem of a theming intrusion exists. The Narnia forests and snow would be highly visible from Fronteirland and Liberty Square, affecting the illusion that these lands are in a certain place and time. Fantasyland, however, is more of an anything-goes type area, and a frozen forest wouldn't look particularly out of place there, if done right.

Just a note--the guidemaps can be very deceptive in what they show. There is a lot of (backstage) stuff behind Fantasyland, where all the trees are drawn, just like there are backstage areas behind the Main Street buildings, not the forests that the map shows.

Feta

I usually just laugh when fans of "classic" rides moan and wail whenever there is a replacement or upgrade of one of said rides. In general, I believe modernizing and the occasional change out of a ride can be a good thing for the parks and the (majority of) the guests.
Having said this . . . what a HORRIBLE idea!!!! Don't dare touch my beloved Tom Sawyer's Island. It's such a peaceful, well-themed oasis in a crowded corner of the park. I agree that a Narnia-themed ride/experience/land could be a good idea - but please place it appropriately. As has been said, it wouldn't fit Frontierland.
MGM would be a good spot - possible replacing the Indy show. If they really wanted to invest and expand the Narnia potential, they could fill in the whole area between the Rock-and-Roller Coaster and the Backlot tour. They could finally create some decent flow through the park by making a loop or even a hub and spoke model with the Sorcerer's Hat at the center.
Better yet, have the new Narnia area be part of the oft-rumored Beastly Kingdom addition to Animal Kingdom!!!!!

CTXRover

An entire Narnia land in Animal Kingdom would be the way to go imo. Beyond the movie, it has a large following from the books, so it wouldn't just be a knee-jerk movie tie in. Filled with mythical animals and stories up the whazoo, it would more than fill the void that the rumored "Beastly Kingdom" land was supposed to. One major attraction and one mini-dark ride is all that would be needed to fill an entire land if the rest was highly themed to evoke the feel and look of Narnia. And if popular enough, any Narnia attraction could then be copied to help divide the original cost of R&D by placing it around the world at Disney's other parks (especially with the movie tie in, it would easily fit into DCA and WDSP)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom