Narnia Attraction

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
OK.. I'm just throwing an idea out here.....

Instead of Tom Sawyer's Island or 20K, what about Discovery Island ??

Discovery Island was at one time was being considered for a MYST attraction.

Lynx04

I guess it depends on the storyline of the attraction would determain its location. If the attraction is based upon being on a set of a movie, then maybe it would be in MGM. If the attraction is an adventure that has a message about animals or something along those lines, AK would be the spot. All depends on what they message line/story of the attraction.

Also, you can't determain where available land is in any of the parks by looking at park maps.

pilka214

well i saw narnia, i personally loved it. and 65 million in one weekend isnt bad. i personally believe that a narnia based attraction does not belong in mk, or ak.. unless they bring back the concept of beastly kingdom and incorporate it into that. but i believe the best way would be to put it in mgm, somthing similar to the star wars setup, not the ride itself, but the facade and such. the only ONE big problem, is that the narnia books themselves follow a very vague story line, the second book has very little to do with the first, the only thing similar is the land and main characters everything else is new. so if they do create movies for all the books (6) a ride would have to be based on 1 of the rides, not all of them as a whole.

jrriddle

I saw Narnia as well last weekend. While I did enjoy it, I'm not sure what you would base an attraction on. Let alone a replacement for BK at DAK.
There was no big action sequence.
You could get a simple dark ride out of it, but I can't see a big E-Ticket or a whole land worth of rides.
Maybe I'm wrong, but can anyone name a sequence of that movie that could be made into an interesting attraction?

jrriddle

Lynx04 said:
I guess it depends on the storyline of the attraction would determain its location. If the attraction is based upon being on a set of a movie, then maybe it would be in MGM. If the attraction is an adventure that has a message about animals or something along those lines, AK would be the spot. All depends on what they message line/story of the attraction.

Also, you can't determain where available land is in any of the parks by looking at park maps.

Lots of animals in it. Mythical and real. Still see my post above...

imagineer boy

I once had an idea of a possible LOTR 3-D show where things like Balrogs shoot fire into the audience, the Witch King's mace on a chain swinging into the audience, and stray Orc arrows shoot into the audience, kinda T2 3-D at Universal. Maybe they could do something along those lines for Narnia. Maybe at the Studios though. I think it would fit better there. Tom Sawyer's island would be a preposterous location, and personally, I think Fantaseyland better shows off all of the classic animated features for the rides.

Lynx04

jrriddle said:
Lots of animals in it. Mythical and real. Still see my post above...

Even though there may be animals in the movie, if the attraction doesn't present a message about the animals, or doesn't put the animals characters at the focal point, then the attraction doesn't belong in AK. That is based on what Disney states about attractions in AK, the animals are the focal point.

Just because there are animals in the movie doesn't mean the attraction will make the animals the focal point. Obviously, Disney has options that they can do. What ever storyline they want to follow in an attraction based on Narnia, at least they have a park suitable to place it in. If it is based on animals, they have AK. If they take a more movie set approach, bam, throw it in MGM. It could be a dark kiddy ride, or just play on the fantasy of the story, 20k spot is available.

But all of this is speculating on if they would make an attraction based on Narnia.

pluto77

jrriddle said:
I saw Narnia as well last weekend. While I did enjoy it, I'm not sure what you would base an attraction on. Let alone a replacement for BK at DAK.
There was no big action sequence.
You could get a simple dark ride out of it, but I can't see a big E-Ticket or a whole land worth of rides.
Maybe I'm wrong, but can anyone name a sequence of that movie that could be made into an interesting attraction?
I could see a whole land worth of rides if they did all 7 movies. I would love a whole narnian land, but a whole land of narnia would probably just be a dream. :cry:

I agree that Narnia wouldn't necessarily fit into AK because the focus of the movie isn't on the animals, it's more of a fantasy movie. A dark ride in fantasyland would be cool, or a narnia area like the star wars area would be cool at MGM. They could have a big narnia themed area and one big attraction, and then, ofcourse, exit outside of a narnia gift shop. I don't know where they would be able to find room for it at MGM, but I think it would go well at MGM. But really, I agree with Lynx, depending on how they want to make the attraction it could fit into MK, AK, or MGM.

Epcot82Guy

I personally agree with the DAK idea, but I think that will be a long way (and at least 2 more movies) away. Having a land anchored around mythology, however, would allow a Narnia tie in easily in an attraction or two while still leaving the ability to focus on others elsewhere in the land.

However, I also think that WDW will likely NOT be the first place a Narnia attraction goes if one is in the works. While it certainly has the most free space to play with, if Narnia turns out to be a large franchise (which it easily could), I would guess they will use the power to spark a new area elsewhere in the US or even the world (although, aside from WDSP having a slight European tie, I don't know how much connection will exist outside the US for the story).

Just a thought...

rdour@techminds

I'm just happy to see Disney finally get a good new potential series. They (Eisner) passed up The Lord of the Rings for movies, and Survivor, CSI, and The Supranos. This movie has an audience familiar with the books, and wide age appeal. Many good things will come from this.

About a ride, remember Appolo 13 and Armagedden? I remember seeing similar studio displays, and it is kinda fuzzy at this point to me if this was at WDW or Universal. I think they are both Touchstone productions right? Anyway, it will depend on the response to the small display. If it gets tons of attention after the initial buzz, who knows, they may have to consider it.

Going back to pottential opportunities lost, sometimes they do pass up hits. It is human, and executives don't always take the time to take the pulse of the fans.

Ryan

ECurto

Ok not to be Debbie Downer here... but.... What really saddens me is how CS Lewis always said he never wanted his books made into a movie. It was part of the magic of his stories (the mental images you got from reading) But it figures one day somebody would saldy disrespect his wishes for a buck. The movie was good, but nothing like book. It was very....Disney. Meaning it didnt go too much into the darker side of how Narnia was. Anyway dont flame me, just my thoughts.

P.s. Does anybody have, and if so can t hey post, pictures of the WDW walkthrough?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
ECurto said:
P.s. Does anybody have, and if so can t hey post, pictures of the WDW walkthrough?
I did this attraction this weekend and they were very strict about not allowing any type of photography or video taping.

matthope03

Here is my personal idea for the suggested Narnia attraction. IF and ONLY IF they deem it a good idea for an attraction I believe they could fit it in MGM the best. As it has been previously announced, Sounds Dangerous and ABC Theatre are going to be making way for a new attraction. The footprint should be big enough for a nice dark ride to go in there. This would allow for a Narnia attraction that could be themed directly from the movie itself. Now I know everyone wants a new "land" but currently it is not all that feasable in my opinion. Disney does not have a single "land" in any of there parks based off one particular movie. Also I know quite a few people are going to say, what about the Monster's Inc. ride that is supposed to go in the studios? Well there are several options with that IF it happens. Millionaire is leaving, and the ride could fit in that area quite well being that Mermaid is just down the street, also it could go into another park (tommorrowland). Bottom line though is there are plenty of areas for any ideas that may come across the table at WDI. WDW is bound to get another dark ride sooner than later, BUT I believe another big E-ticket is highly unlikely considering Everest is just opening this spring.

Since1976

ECurto said:
Ok not to be Debbie Downer here... but.... What really saddens me is how CS Lewis always said he never wanted his books made into a movie. It was part of the magic of his stories (the mental images you got from reading) But it figures one day somebody would saldy disrespect his wishes for a buck. The movie was good, but nothing like book. It was very....Disney. Meaning it didnt go too much into the darker side of how Narnia was. Anyway dont flame me, just my thoughts.

I thought the big reason that Lewis was against making the books into moviews was that he didn't think talking animals could be pulled off convincingly. This was, of course, long before the digital age.

Timmay

Since1976 said:
I thought the big reason that Lewis was against making the books into moviews was that he didn't think talking animals could be pulled off convincingly. This was, of course, long before the digital age.

No, sadly Lewis didn't want his stories put on the screen because he wanted people to keep their own image of Narnia intact from the bookis.

As a fan of the books as well as the one movie now, I am not sure how I feel about a CON type attraction or Land or whatever...it just doesn't feel right, for some reason. Maybe if all of the movies are made and they are very, very popular, we may see something.

junior247

narnia at wdw

wouldnt any narnia ride, if placed at MK have to be placed in Fantasyland? It wouldnt really fit in any other section there. Ideally it would end up at MGM/DS though, since it would more than likely be more action oriented

Coasterbp

matthope03 said:
....Millionaire is leaving, and the ride could fit in that area quite well being that Mermaid is just down the street, also it could go into another park (tommorrowland)....

Really? Where did you hear this? As far as I know, it's not going anywhere.

Goofster

I think a Narnia attraction/land is inevitable...and that's a very good thing. Disney is sitting beautifully this week. Narnia is exactly the franchise Disney needs. Few of the books have the same characters, and the one major character that is in all the books, Aslan, is a computer animated character. This will make it very easy for Disney to successfully take their time and make a saga that will go down in Hollywood history if they play their cards right. AKA the movies won't suffer from the Harry Potter "quick make the movies before the kids grow up!" issue.

That being said, there are many options I see for Narnia at the parks. A ride could go into the Magic Kingdom, in fact a whole land could be the answer to the "what's going into the 20K lagoon?" question, but there's not much justification for growth at the MK right now. Perhaps it could go into Epcot at the UK pavillion, but who knows if Disney really does have the Harry Potter rights and wants to build in there. Anything could fit in the studios, but I also think a Narnia land at the Animal Kingdom is a definite possibility. Fantasy has always been a part of AK, but now it could have a land. Hopefully rumors of construction at WDW laying low the next few years aren't very true. This is a great opportunity for a killer definitely popular ride that could dramatically help attendance at Animal Kingdom, the Studios, or even Epcot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom