Naked vs. Clothed, talking vs. not

MouseMadness

Original Poster
Okay, so this has bothered me for a while. Why is it, on cartoons featuring animals, do some get clothing and some don't? And some speak and some can't. In fact, there is a show call "Franklin" that my kids used to watch. Franklin is a turtle... with a pet goldfish! Franklin could talk, but his fish can't. Franklin wears a hat and a bandana, but his friends are naked! Same with Little Bear. These thoughts were brought to mind because we're watching Monsters, Inc. right now. Celia and Roz wear dresses, Mike is stark naked! :eek: :hammer:

:lookaroun

Erika

This is like that example we've all noticed, where Donald comes out of the shower and covers his bottom parts :lol: even though he normally does not wear pants.

Normally, when something is not right, I find it's easiest to just blame Brian... especially now, when he's not around.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Darn! I thought this was a thread about our TV watching habits.

What's the deal with Goofy and Pluto? Are they both dogs? Doesn't Goofy get offended that Mickey treats Pluto like he does?

NowInc

You have no idea how many countless hours have gone by while discussing this very topic...especially in all my animation classes back in college.

Kinda like how minnie looks just like mickey...cept shes in a dress..has a bow..and eyelashes

imagineer boy

Originally posted by SpongeScott
If Pluto is Mickey's dog, who does Goofy belong to? And is Goofy really a dog?

I think Goofy is a "whatever" sort of like Gonzo. He just somewhat resembles a dog the same way Gonzo resembles a bird of some sort.

figmentmom

Originally posted by Erika
Normally, when something is not right, I find it's easiest to just blame Brian... especially now, when he's not around.

Then is it OK for me to blame Bri for the fact that my car needs a new transmission? And, if it's all his fault, shouldn't he PAY for it?!?

:lol:

Erika

Originally posted by figmentmom
Then is it OK for me to blame Bri for the fact that my car needs a new transmission? And, if it's all his fault, shouldn't he PAY for it?!?

Of course he should! :mad: You better make sure he gets you a rental, too!

MouseMadness

Original Poster
Ah, good, I'm not the only one!

It's funny you should say that, Dan, because I was thinking, cartoons don't just magically appear on the screen. I mean, it's magical once it's up there, but you know what I'm saying. Lots of thought and planning go into them, so it stands to reason that at some point at least a couple of people sat down and discussed character clothing situations.

Donald, Yes on the top, no on the bottoms. Mickey, yes on the bottoms, no on the top. Mike Wazowski, totally nude, and hairless. :lookaroun Mr. Waternoose, a suit and tie, of course!!

What the whaaa?

NowInc

Originally posted by MouseMadness
Ah, good, I'm not the only one!

It's funny you should say that, Dan, because I was thinking, cartoons don't just magically appear on the screen. I mean, it's magical once it's up there, but you know what I'm saying. Lots of thought and planning go into them, so it stands to reason that at some point at least a couple of people sat down and discussed character clothing situations.

Donald, Yes on the top, no on the bottoms. Mickey, yes on the bottoms, no on the top. Mike Wazowski, totally nude, and hairless. :lookaroun Mr. Waternoose, a suit and tie, of course!!

What the whaaa?

Its actually amusing that in college, id get in more "trouble" cuz of the way my CLOTHED characters would look as apposed to my naked ones. Its a miracle i ever got hired by disney..youd have to see my portfolio to understand ;)

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Originally posted by figmentmom

I'm pretty sure it's Brian's fault that I'm such an a$$****.:D

MerHearted

Did you know that originally the Little Mermaid... umm, nevermind, I already told Erika and I remembered what happened then. :lol: :zipit:

no2apprentice

Originally posted by SpongeScott
If Pluto is Mickey's dog, who does Goofy belong to? And is Goofy really a dog?
While the beginnings of Goofy are rooted in Dippy Dawg, Goofy evolved into a distinct character who came into his own. One of the Disney books I own is Disney Animation - the Illusion of Life, by Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston (two of the Nine Old Men). Near the end of the book, there is a detailed "Analysis of the Goof," by Art Babbitt. So, while Goofy may have some physical characteristics similar to a dog, he is, according to his creators, a Goof.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom