MyMagic+, MagicBands and advance FastPass+ to be available to offsite day guests next week

stephkd

Has Disney officially put out a statement saying that it'll start on Monday? Not that I'm aware of. Though there were reports that Disney told travel agents that FP+ was coming for off-site Guests "in the near future".

But knowing the connections that Steve and this site have, if he posted it as an official news item like he did today, he's extremely confident that it will actually happen. (It's also been proven many times for many different subjects that this site often knows about things happening in WDW well before 90% of the cast knows it...)

-Rob

Good to know..thanks for the info! Guess I'll hopefully wait for Monday :)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Is there any official confirmation directly from WDW? After reading the article here I just called with a few questions. We will be visiting beginning May 3, so we will only have a couple of days between a March 31 roll out and April 3 starting our 30 day window...and the CM that I talked to was not aware of MB and FP+ becoming available to off-site guests anytime soon..
I don't think Disney has announced it yet, so most cast will not be aware.

ParentsOf4

How do they stop the system getting clogged up with fastpasses that people make 30 days out and then never come to park?
Where has it been said that people lose FP+ if they reserve and then don't cancel and don't use?
Or are you just putting out an idea that could potentially be implemented?
Thanks for asking. I contacted Guest Relations and, for now, the day's allotment is forfeited only if the theme park ticket is used that day.

Therefore, to @Fun times point, it is possible for the system to be clogged up by people who end up not visiting the park.

kap91

Thanks for asking. I contacted Guest Relations and, for now, the day's allotment is forfeited only if the theme park ticket is used that day.

Therefore, to @Fun times point, it is possible for the system to be clogged up by people who end up not visiting the park.
In the same way it's possible for a hotel or airline to be overbooked...90% of the time it doesn't actually occur.

Rider

As to availability...

I went on the app this past Sunday around noon and was able to get same day FP for any attraction at the Studios. Even Toy Story. You could never get a old Fastpass for Toy Story if you tried after noon.

Adding day guests will mix things up and we will have to see how much impact there is but I doubt it will too much.

Most day guests hardly know what FP is when they are in the park. They'll never realize they can book 30 days out. Many also wait to buy tickets when they get to Orlando.

How did the old paper FP system work into a perk for staying on-site? :confused:

Yes, there has been an added benefit for staying on-site during the *testing* of FP+, but Disney never intended it to stay something for on-site guests only.

-Rob

At least before I had the perks of staying on property and legacy FP was a level playing field (in a different way). I could arrive early and get most any FP that I wanted. Day guests wandering in mid to late morning didn't affect how I was able to use FP. From what I witnessed it seemed that most day guests didn't seem to even use FP or know what it was! I didn't have to pre-plan 60 days in advance and feel that I was fighting with thousands of others to get time slots. It's just like the ADRs - to a certain extent is has become a nightmare (I still can not get a Be Our Guest ADR when making a resort reservation 4+ months out, even after checking every day since making the resort reservation). Although some might describe FP+ as a level playing field for all, it just creates an artificial demand many days in advance. I get the marketing and research side - I completely understand why Disney is doing this. I just think it's put more burden on guests up front and makes the whole process less enjoyable. I now have to be worried about things that were never a problem before. I am concerned about where things are trending.

bennyw01

Booked to go to the Wyndham on the 30th of April and this news has pretty much made my day!

Wonder what the set up will be as I will happily pay the $15 extra to get these.. have already bought 2 weeks worth of Ultimate Ticket (UK) for me and the other half so would be good to know these are available to us.

Without having the Disney themes I feel like I am getting a pretty good deal here with a similar experience to what you would get staying in a Disney resort. I use the transportation from the village, I have a Magic Band and can make reservations! this is gonna be sweet!

BigTxEars

Poor WDW can't win, they get beat up no matter if they do something or if they don't.

I stay on property because I want to stay on property, I could care less if the guy at Motel 6 gets the same perks really. I understand WDW offering perks and I am fine with that but they don't persuade me. Just my .02

Now we did stay at the Hard Rock at universal last year for the perks alone.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I wonder why Disney shows as much loyalty to its Annual Passholders as it does to people staying at the Red Roof Inn? Bit of a slap in the face, don't you think? How about on-site 60 days, AP 30 days, Red Roof Inn 7 days?

I'm with you on that one.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
It's interesting that AP holders and off-site guests will have the same booking window, but not too surprising. After all, I can't imagine that the average AP holder spends nearly as much per visit as a family staying at a WDW resort. The on-site guests might purchase a dining plan, a photo package, multiple souvenirs, and (without a doubt) they're paying a higher ticket cost per day.

Being lumped with the off-site guests seems like a significant disadvantage to me, since it means a lot of people will be fighting for Soarin'/TSM 30 days out. Obviously the goal is to push more people on property (so Disney can increase its 'wallet share'), but it could very easily backfire as passholders feel increasingly overlooked.

But AP are more frequent visitors. Last year, we went 6 times. So far this year, we've gone twice and have booked 3 more through July. And will probably do another 3-4 before the end of the year. We stay on site mainly for the convenience and even if we didn't, we'd still be shopping for Disney loot.

I realize Disney wants to get you to stay onsite, but we AP are loyal customers....

Rob562

But AP are more frequent visitors. Last year, we went 6 times. So far this year, we've gone twice and have booked 3 more through July. And will probably do another 3-4 before the end of the year. We stay on site mainly for the convenience and even if we didn't, we'd still be shopping for Disney loot.

I realize Disney wants to get you to stay onsite, but we AP are loyal customers....

...and you're staying on-site and thus have the 60-day window that on-site Guests have.

An Annual Pass gives you admission to the parks for 365 days, plus a few other perks that are clearly spelled out in the AP Terms & Conditions. Personally I don't see how or why Disney owes an AP-holder more than someone who buys a Magic Your Way ticket (when talking about park admission and access to what others in the park have access to).

The one thing I've said before and will reiterate about FP+ and AP-holders is that I think their limit of number of active FP+ reservations should be 10 days rather than 7, to equal the maximum number of days on a MYW ticket. (Two people staying off-site, one with an AP and one with a 10-day MYW ticket would have trouble booking the same FP+ for an entire trip)

(And I speak as a frequent AP-holder)

-Rob

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

...and you're staying on-site and thus have the 60-day window that on-site Guests have.

An Annual Pass gives you admission to the parks for 365 days, plus a few other perks that are clearly spelled out in the AP Terms & Conditions. Personally I don't see how or why Disney owes an AP-holder more than someone who buys a Magic Your Way ticket (when talking about park admission and access to what others in the park have access to).

The one thing I've said before and will reiterate about FP+ and AP-holders is that I think their limit of number of active FP+ reservations should be 10 days rather than 7, to equal the maximum number of days on a MYW ticket. (Two people staying off-site, one with an AP and one with a 10-day MYW ticket would have trouble booking the same FP+ for an entire trip)

-Rob
You don't think AP holders, WDW's most loyal guests, should be treated better than those at the Red Roof Inn, who want their Disney trip to involve a couple days at "Disney World," a day at Epcot, and a day at Universal for the full Mickey experience?

Rob562

You don't think AP holders, WDW's most loyal guests, should be treated better than those at the Red Roof Inn, who want their Disney trip to involve a couple days at "Disney World," a day at Epcot, and a day at Universal for the full Mickey experience?

What I think is that that line of reasoning ("I'm better", "I'm more loyal", "I deserve something") is what led Disneyland CMs to coin the term "Passhole"...

If I need park-hopper admission to the parks for two 8 or 9 day trips, the AP is my best option. Disney doesn't "owe" me anything for buying the admission media that is most economic for what I'm going to use it for.

FP+ puts Guests on a level playing field, regardless of admission media, and rewards those who stay on-site by giving them a larger window to use it. I think that's entirely fair.

-Rob

Last edited:

AlternaKat

I'm frankly disgusted by some of the mean-spirited posts I'm reading that insist on treating guests not staying on Disney property or not APs as somehow less deserving (the whole "Red Roof Inn" thread in particular). Stop being snobs, people, and try to channel your inner Walt Disney again. ALL guests deserve a magical day.

disney4life2008

I can think of four reasons for on-site vs. off-site.
  1. EMH
  2. 60 days instead of 30 for FP+
  3. "Free" MB included instead of paying extra for an MB.
  4. Disney transportation
But that doesn't necessarily means it's a "must-do". Each person will have their own reasons for staying on- or off-site. For off-site, obviously, cost will be an overriding factor.

1. EMHs will be eliminated (as rumours indicate) within the next two years to cut costs.
2. I do not think an extra 30 days will make much of a difference. Maybe as time goes on but both on site and off site guests will have to get adjusted and this will take quite some time.
3. RFID cards eliminate the need for MB. And if your off site - you do not need a MB for everything an on site guests would use it for.
4. Off site guests can use disney transportation. If you mean from resort to park - yes, but to pay the resort prices it is still cheaper to stay off site and pay parking each day.

Last edited:

cw1982

1. EMHs will be eliminated (as rumours indicate) within the next two years to cut costs.
2. I do not think an extra 30 days will make much of a difference. Maybe as time goes on but both on site and off site guests will have to get adjusted and this will take quite some time.
3. RFID cards eliminate the need for MB. And if your off site - you do not need a MB for everything an on site guests would use it for.
4. Off site guests can use disney transportation. If you mean from resort to park - yes, but to pay the resort prices it is still cheaper to stay off site and pay parking each day.

1. I hope this is not true... if it is, that might be what motivates me to stay offsite if I get to go back after this next trip. I love the idea of evening EMH, especially at MK, and the rumors I have heard are that the evening EMH are the ones at highest risk for being cut. This makes me sad lol.
2. Very true... plus, if a magic band is $15 for offsite guests, is it worth paying the premium on the hotel to save the $15, if this is what motivates a guest to stay onsite?
3. How will offsite guests who do not have a MB utilize FP+ in advance? Under the current system, I would think a MB would be a must to do FP+ before showing up at the park that day.
4. It may be cheaper to stay offsite, but for those who care about not having to drive around, it might be worth the premium to leave the car at the hotel and let Disney drive them around for the trip... plus, what about the transportation to and from the airport for those who fly in?

JohnD

-Rob

Good point about a max of 10 days instead of 7. I think that would accommodate most APs anyway. I doubt I would ever get up to the 10 days but it would be a nice perk to have.

disney4life2008

1. I hope this is not true... if it is, that might be what motivates me to stay offsite if I get to go back after this next trip. I love the idea of evening EMH, especially at MK, and the rumors I have heard are that the evening EMH are the ones at highest risk for being cut. This makes me sad lol.
2. Very true... plus, if a magic band is $15 for offsite guests, is it worth paying the premium on the hotel to save the $15, if this is what motivates a guest to stay onsite?
3. How will offsite guests who do not have a MB utilize FP+ in advance? Under the current system, I would think a MB would be a must to do FP+ before showing up at the park that day.
4. It may be cheaper to stay offsite, but for those who care about not having to drive around, it might be worth the premium to leave the car at the hotel and let Disney drive them around for the trip... plus, what about the transportation to and from the airport for those who fly in?

Some very good points...

1. You are right evening emh's are at the highest risk. I rarely can wake up early enough to do morning hours less long talk about traveling with my family. But evening hours are amazing even with the reduction to 2 hours - I can still do almost everything twice. For me, evening hours are more of a premium than FP+ or legacy because you truly have the park to yourself in the last hour. EMHs are really the only reason I still stay on property but if they go away there will be no purpose for me.
3. From my understanding - offsite guests who purchase their tickets in advance can create a MM+ account and link their tickets just like resort guests. And their tickets have RFID media within - so once they do the prior steps - they use their media for entry and at the FP+ stands.
4. transportation varies. even with the cost of a rental for a week and the cost of a hotel off site, you still may be a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than staying on site. But I am not sure if those who stay off site and plan to rent a car - if they even put the resort transportation in the equation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom