MyMagic+ article from Fast Company magazine

lobelia

I'm following @PhotoDave219 's advice on this one. Thank you @RobBlock on your effort. Now off to see what beverage companies support the American Beverage Association and try to talk my conscious into believing that there is actually no conflict of interest so as not to appear paranoid. @jakeman, I do identify with your point that much research is funded by business and industry and that doubting all research findings by studies funded by said industry is really taking it too far. We have to trust the research methods.

I wasn't really trying to enter into a discussion about research methods with my comments, but rather that the author submitted his work to us and I think many of the questions that were asked were appropriately asked (although the tone in some may come across as rude) in order to establish credibility.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I think many of the questions that were asked were appropriately asked (although the tone in some may come across as rude) in order to establish credibility.

His credibility stands on its own merits. Posters here didn't feel like typing his name into Google and instead asked insulting questions of him. Ridiculous, plain and simple.

PhotoDave219

I'm following @PhotoDave219 's advice on this one. Thank you @RobBlock on your effort. Now off to see what beverage companies support the American Beverage Association and try to talk my conscious into believing that there is actually no conflict of interest so as not to appear paranoid. @jakeman, I do identify with your point that much research is funded by business and industry and that doubting all research findings by studies funded by said industry is really taking it too far. We have to trust the research methods.

I wasn't really trying to enter into a discussion about research methods with my comments, but rather that the author submitted his work to us and I think many of the questions that were asked were appropriately asked (although the tone in some may come across as rude) in order to establish credibility.

I would agree that many people were reinforcing stereotypes in regards to the author and his credentials…

I have no idea how this conversation got turned into a discussion about Diet Coke.

Suffice to say when people wonder why I come across very dismissive of others attitudes, questions, comments, well I'm pretty sure this thread is a prime example of why I'm that way.

fillerup

I suppose that the conversation about @AustinC's credibility are interesting and all but are probably academic at this point. He did say last week that he wouldn't be hanging around for long as he had to move on to other things.

I doubt that he'll come back around to do a rebuttal.

I'm guessing all he cares about is that he has credibility with his peers and even more so with whoever is signing his paycheck these days. I'm guessing he has credibility with his employer since he carries the title of Senior Writer and has been published by them 142 times.

The fact that he came here to post his article and get the reaction of the Disney fan community got me to thinking about something. I bet that for the average internet user who stumbles upon this place and hangs around for a while must leave thinking that we're all bat guano insane.

RobBlock

I was just trying to help clarify. Didn't mean to cause massive thread drift. In honor of the conversation, I've finally uploaded an avatar after 8 years.

gmajew

Premium Member
I suppose that the conversation about @AustinC's credibility are interesting and all but are probably academic at this point. He did say last week that he wouldn't be hanging around for long as he had to move on to other things.

I'm guessing all he cares about is that he has credibility with his peers and even more so with whoever is signing his paycheck these days. I'm guessing he has credibility with his employer since he carries the title of Senior Writer and has been published by them 142 times.

The fact that he came here to post his article and get the reaction of the Disney fan community got me to thinking about something. I bet that for the average internet user who stumbles upon this place and hangs around for a while must leave thinking that we're all bat guano insane.

I think it is great that we got another side of the story right or wrong it was a good read and some interesting things came out of the article. Sure some say it is bs but guess what the truth as I have said many times is always in between.

I would doubt the writer spends a lot of time on the site going forward as he has been blasted repeatedly for his views and story.

I personally feel all views should be respected even the political views I disagree with.

PhotoDave219

I think he did a good job and got some insane access.

I also think that in some respects, certain contexts were missed. Thats going to happen. (Like KTTW/FP already existing)

But overall? I'd love to see the long-long-long form about the behind the scenes politics and maneuvering and the play by play of what really happened. It would make a great book, @AustinC

fillerup

I think he did a good job and got some insane access.

I also think that in some respects, certain contexts were missed. Thats going to happen. (Like KTTW/FP already existing)

But overall? I'd love to see the long-long-long form about the behind the scenes politics and maneuvering and the play by play of what really happened. It would make a great book, @AustinC

It would be a great book but I doubt we'll get one.

On the other hand, I'm looking forward to @AustinC's followup piece on Apple's involvement in NGE.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Some years ago... I didn't mind being a runner for my group or extended family.... (whoever happened to be vacationing with us in WDW at the time) I saw being at the parks before rope drop a necessary duty to ensure everyone had a great time. I would juke and dodge through the throngs of people in order to get the first/next FP's for our group and willingly sacrificed my body for the family's enjoyment. (if they happened to be riding IASW to kill time while I ran to SM/BTMR, then i pitied them)

I've been to WDW twice since the MM+ implementation... and the first time didn't count because I was traveling alone and attempted my own personal ultimate touring plan. What I miss and many will agree is the ability to get tickets for the same attraction more than once a day. What I won't miss is the huffing and puffing to get from one side of the park to the other for FP tickets. Now I can stay with my family the entire time and we enjoy the journey together... except when we are all stuck in the last scene of IASW.

I have found that MM+ is a panacea of sorts. My family can actually sleep in, get up, enjoy our fastpasses and in many cases get several more for the afternoon. We can then use the time to leisurely explore and occasionally stand in a line. Wonderful I say.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I have found that MM+ is a panacea of sorts. My family can actually sleep in, get up, enjoy our fastpasses and in many cases get several more for the afternoon. We can then use the time to leisurely explore and occasionally stand in a line. Wonderful I say.

Panacea?!?!?!?! Is that what you were thinking when you got up at the crack of dawn to get that stupid Nordic princess meet and greet fastpass 60 days before your trip? Really? How about when you tried to get your wife and son a Space mountain fastpass while you and the daughter went on BTMRR? That almost seemed to cause the whole system to crash? How about the fact you can never access any info on that stupid app when you're standing on Sunset Blvd?

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Panacea?!?!?!?! Is that what you were thinking when you got up at the *** crack of dawn to get that stupid Nordic princess meet and greet fastpass 60 days before your trip? Really? How about when you tried to get your wife and son a Space mountain fastpass while you and the daughter went on BTMRR? That almost seemed to cause the whole system to crash? How about the fact you can never access any info on that stupid app when you're standing on Sunset Blvd?

Look, I'm not saying its perfect, but in many ways it has made the trip go better. You've got to admit the hands free aspect is nice.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
You're not exploring the parks correctly. Remember when you would spend time in TL and really explore the whole area? Really just soak it in and not have to worry about being at PPF by 1:30 cuz of some reservation booked in the spring?

I'm not walking around like some stuck up weirdo with a pipe up my treating each area of a theme park like it is a painting in Versailles. Besides, next you'll tell me you liked racing across the park like a cocaine addled maniac just to get to the open fastpass kiosk by 1:11 PM since your window opened at 1:10 PM. Besides, every vacation requires some planning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom