MyMagic+ article from Fast Company magazine

jakeman

Since we are repeating questions....do you need a PIN number to make purchases? What if I lose my band during the day at the park?
Yes, you do need to enter your PIN to make purchases. If you lose your MagicBand you can stop by guest services and they can disassociate the band with your account (you might even be able to do this through the app, I know you can through the full web version).

lobelia

Yes, you do need to enter your PIN to make purchases. If you lose your MagicBand you can stop by guest services and they can disassociate the band with your account (you might even be able to do this through the app, I know you can through the full web version).

Thank you. That sounds like reasonable safety measures then. Coupled with tying it to credit card protection allows me to feel better about that.

Ariel1986

Thank you. That sounds like reasonable safety measures then. Coupled with tying it to credit card protection allows me to feel better about that.

The band also just charges to your room (if you are staying onsite) and depending which level of resort it doesn't charge until you reach a certain level ($500, $1000 etc. or when you check out if these levels aren't reached) so you won't be charged for each transaction.

iYazmo

To add on to this, nothing is stored in the actual bands so you don't have to worry about identity theft if you lose your band. The bands pull from a database so they can simply disable the band and re-enable it on another one.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Most companies never develop fully integrated systems, What forward thinking companies DO do however is create standards for data exchange between systems and standard data models so even though the systems may be disparate you don't have data called apple and orange on one system and orange and apple on another,

The really forward thinking companies use something called a ESB or enterprise service bus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enterprise_service_bus

All of this costs money of course however you need to balance implementation costs with operational costs, Management hates to spend money on architecture even though good architecture saves huge amounts of money down the road during the systems lifecycle. As an architect this is a battle I routinely fight. But it's also a pay me now or pay more later issue - you will pay in the end.
<shiver>
You're giving me flashbacks to my old job. After trying for 3 years to try and convince people of this, I decided it was time to move along.

Ugh. Let me get back to talking Disney so I can cleanse my pallate of this nasty trip down memory lane...

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
God, this is such a 'classic' MAGIC post. Yes, tough questions that are fair and pertinent to a story written (with unprecedented cooperation from Disney --- does anyone ever ask why that was? Nothing against Austin or his pub as I am not familiar with either, but why him?) should be ignored. No one should ever ask a journalist tough questions or demand that they do likewise. UGH!!!

Ignorance is so blissful in the world of Pixie Dust...

Ignorance is an interesting choice of words considering the top half of your post.

You are ignorant of Austin, and of Fast Company. No issue there, I'm sure most posters here are. However, instead of clearing up that ignorance by using Google, for 3 minutes, you simply call into question his journalistic integrity. I'm sorry, I don't see that as reasonable.

By the way, if you are averese to using Google, a member here did it for us...

I'm not going to go to bat for Austin Carr because before today, I'd never heard of him. I'm sure he's fully capable of taking care of himself if attacked. However, I have been familiar with Fast Company for several years - they put out some good stuff. That's the place where he gets an actual paycheck for, you know, writing stuff.

I'll put this out there for some context:

"Launched in November 1995 by Alan Webber and Bill Taylor, two former Harvard Business Review editors, Fast Company magazine was founded on a single premise: A global revolution was changing business, and business was changing the world. Discarding the old rules of business, Fast Company set out to chronicle how changing companies create and compete, to highlight new business practices, and to showcase the teams and individuals who are inventing the future and reinventing business."

@AustinC has published 142 or so articles over the last two years from what I can see. That's much more output than some of the other "writers" that get discussed around here.

A real smart guy made a good analogy when talking about the "questions" people are asking of @AustinC
"It's just a question", it's about the equivalent of asking a chef "Did you spit on my food?" The argument that "I wasn't in the kitchen, so how could I know?", while true, doesn't change the fact that the thought that it was possible in the first place is insulting.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
A real smart guy made a good analogy when talking about the "questions" people are asking of @AustinC
"It's just a question", it's about the equivalent of asking a chef "Did you spit on my food?" The argument that "I wasn't in the kitchen, so how could I know?", while true, doesn't change the fact that the thought that it was possible in the first place is insulting.

Maybe we should see if we can get the article pulled down.

lobelia

If done respectfully, I cannot fault forum members for asking questions regarding his motives, his credibility, his attachments and relationships to Disney. We should all be concerned about bias as we gather our knowledge and insights for making judgements. Gathering additional information to support his credibility strengthens his article.

Remember he reached out to us in the forum seeking feedback. We didn't go out and copy a link and then run the author through the mill. @AustinC put his content on this particular forum where there are people who would look at it with a critical lens. I also think the discussion is bolstered when someone reviews the article and says "well what about this...Why did you not include this?"

Rudeness is never ok. Critical thinking, directness, and disagreement is. Perhaps I am closer to conspiracy theorist but I hate that I live in a world where people share information that is blatantly false to further their political cause. Unfortunately there are too many people around me who have shared articles on facebook that were clearly from satire website believing the content.

I was ruined the day that I found one article wrote about a study proved diet coke is healthy, which would support my dirty unhealthy habit, only to look to see who funded the study. Yes. Coke.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
If done respectfully, I cannot fault forum members for asking questions regarding his motives, his credibility, his attachments and relationships to Disney. We should all be concerned about bias as we gather our knowledge and insights for making judgements. Gathering additional information to support his credibility strengthens his article.

Remember he reached out to us in the forum seeking feedback. We didn't go out and copy a link and then run the author through the mill. @AustinC put his content on this particular forum where there are people who would look at it with a critical lens. I also think the discussion is bolstered when someone reviews the article and says "well what about this...Why did you not include this?"

Rudeness is never ok. Critical thinking, directness, and disagreement is. Perhaps I am closer to conspiracy theorist but I hate that I live in a world where people share information that is blatantly false to further their political cause. Unfortunately there are too many people around me who have shared articles on facebook that were clearly from satire website believing the content.

I was ruined the day that I found one article wrote about a study proved diet coke is healthy, which would support my dirty unhealthy habit, only to look to see who funded the study. Yes. Coke.

Do you have a link to this Coke propaganda?

GrumpyFan

Plus, companies don't invest 8 figures in a Project without expecting hard and measurable return on that investment. Things like customer sat and customer interaction are, of course, expected side benefits, but Disney is expecting specific increases in metrics like per guest spend, per room guest spend, avg length of stay, avg length of ticket, etc., as justification for that large investment. No harm in asking what they expect against what they spent in a follow-up.....

Sure, no harm in asking, I just wouldn't expect a real answer from Disney.
Just look at the answers that were given when he did press for specifics, like for example, the cost. It's been widely reported that it was well over $1billion, but that's the number they're sticking to, and then the timeframe is another one. I just think what your asking for is going to be given some spin and fluffed to sound good to investors. But, you can kind of read between the lines to glean some of the answers you seek. As others here have pointed out, I think this has had a minimal impact on those numbers, and if true, Disney will never admit that. The proof is in the statements made by Iger and Staggs and their reluctance to commit to any specific future park rollouts outside of WDW.

Nubs70

This is why one needs to be careful about relying on articles written about studies. Studies need to be replicated and not simply peer reviewed. We all know what can happen a group of peers get together with a predetermined outcome.

Hypothetically, the Coke study could be perfectly valid if it can be replicated with statistics supporting the conclusion along with the experimental data.

If the original study resulted in an R^2 of 0.95 with p = 0.35. The results do not support the claim. I doubt the writer of the article understands statistics.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
This is why one needs to be careful about relying on articles written about studies. Studies need to be replicated and not simply peer reviewed. We all know what can happen a group of peers get together with a predetermined outcome.

Hypothetically, the Coke study could be perfectly valid if it can be replicated with statistics supporting the conclusion along with the experimental data.

If the original study resulted in an R^2 of 0.95 with p = 0.35. The results do not support the claim. I doubt the writer of the article understands statistics.
I have a feeling there was no study. Most likely a clickbait or onion article.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom