MyMagic+ article from Fast Company magazine

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Yes, you do need to enter your PIN to make purchases. If you lose your MagicBand you can stop by guest services and they can disassociate the band with your account (you might even be able to do this through the app, I know you can through the full web version).
Thank you. That sounds like reasonable safety measures then. Coupled with tying it to credit card protection allows me to feel better about that.

I can tell you from experience that this works just as @jakeman said. Unfortunately, I lost my MB in December. The folks at the service center at DHS deactivated it for me, just in case, and would have provided me with something to allow me to use remaining FP+ for the day had I needed it (didn't, because it was almost closing time). When I got back to my resort, it took all of 3 minutes to get a replacement magic band and link it to my account.

RobBlock

That doesn't say Diet Soda is healthy. It also wasn't funded by coca cola.

It does say " the NNS beverage treatment group losing significantly more weight compared to the water group" and "Participants in the NNS beverage group reported significantly greater reductions in subjective feelings of hunger than those in the water group"

Also "The study was fully funded by The American Beverage Association" and "JCP, JOH received consulting fees from The Coca-Cola Company"

So, drinking diet soda causes you to lose more weight and feel less hungry than if you drank water. So says the American beverage association and Coca-Cola. ;)
I can see where @lobelia got the notion that it did.

Last edited:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
It does say " the NNS beverage treatment group losing significantly more weight compared to the water group" and "Participants in the NNS beverage group reported significantly greater reductions in subjective feelings of hunger than those in the water group"

Also "The study was fully funded by The American Beverage Association" and "JCP, JOH received consulting fees from The Coca-Cola Company"

So, drinking diet soda causes you to lose more weight and feel less hungry than if you drank water. So says the American beverage association and Coca-Cola. I can see where @lobelia got the notion that it did.

Yea, by not reading. Coca Cola paid 2 of the researchers as consultants, at some point, outside of this study. Weight loss does not equate to health. Of course a zero calorie drink that has flavor will impact weight loss in a more substantial way then water.

Nubs70

So, drinking diet soda causes you to lose more weight and feel less hungry than if you drank water. So says the American beverage association and Coca-Cola. I can see where @lobelia got the notion that it did.
Regardless of who funded the study, the omission of descriptive statistics fails to lend credibility to the conclusions. This holds true for any study even if the study was done by Mother Teresa herself.

Corection: based on p value, it does hold that drinking Diet Coke results in weight loss. However, to link Diet Coke to being healthy is another thing.

jakeman

I was ruined the day that I found one article wrote about a study proved diet coke is healthy, which would support my dirty unhealthy habit, only to look to see who funded the study. Yes. Coke.
If we invalidate all research on the basis of who funded it, nothing would ever get researched.

A trial can be non-biased and yield good results regardless of who funded it if it is built and conducted appropriately.

jakeman

Regardless of who funded the study, the omission of descriptive statistics fails to lend credibility to the conclusions. This holds true for any study even if the study was done by Mother Teresa herself.

Corection: based on p value, it does hold that drinking Diet Coke results in weight loss. However, to link Diet Coke to being healthy is another thing.
Not picking a fight, but I didn't see where the researchers made that claim (I can't say the same for overzealous PR guys). Did I overlooked it?

RobBlock

Yea, by not reading. Coca Cola paid 2 of the researchers as consultants, at some point, outside of this study. Weight loss does not equate to health. Of course a zero calorie drink that has flavor will impact weight loss in a more substantial way then water.

Okay, I'll go back to believing that every published study includes zero bias.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Okay, I'll go back to believing that every published study includes zero bias.

Or you could simply read what was written, then make your own inferences, and rather then pass them off as facts, you could make it clear its your opinion? Maybe you could even quote articles correctly, rather then sprinkle in your own feelings? I dunno. Maybe that's too much to ask.

jakeman

Or you could simply read what was written, then make your own inferences, and rather then pass them off as facts, you could make it clear its your opinion? Maybe you could even quote articles correctly, rather then sprinkle in your own feelings? I dunno. Maybe that's too much to ask.
This is the internet after all...

lobelia

Your correct xdan0920 it was funded by the American Beverage Association
  1. Funding Agencies: The study was fully funded by The American Beverage Association.

2. Disclosure: JCP, JOH received consulting fees from The Coca-Cola Company outside of the submitted work. The remaining co-authors declared no conflict of interest.
My point was that we have right to question the motives of all research as well as articles about Disney.

I wasn't making the point that Diet Coke is healthy. I will clearly keep drinking it despite all I have read regarding it's effects. I was looking for evidence that it wasn't as bad as the other studies and subsequent articles were trying to imply.

I maintain that the smart thing to do is ask the author questions about his credibility, especially when he made himself available to the forum. I actually thought he did a fine job of responding to the questions and I don't doubt his motives.

jakeman

My point was that we have right to question the motives of all research as well as articles about Disney.
To what end though? There's a point where that right crosses over to paranoia. What is there to gain in repeatedly ask for verification of his credentials? You can see even a week later and 35 pages in people are still taking swipes at the ethics of the article's author.

Beyond that, if he is unscrupulous enough to take money from the subject of his article wouldn't logic dictate that he would also not object to lying about it to a bunch of faceless words on the internet?

It might be the smart thing to quiz the author, just like it's smart to question the wait staff if someone is spitting in your food, but at the end of the day, if they are, they aren't going to be honest about. You have to decide if you trust them or not.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I maintain that the smart thing to do is ask the author questions about his credibility, especially when he made himself available to the forum.
Not totally directed at you, but I have seen not one post questioning the validity of the "insiders" claim to how much they say was spent on MM+ (well, except by me, anyway). Nor have I seen anyone question their credentials or motives. Yet I have seen a whole lot questioning Austin's everything. Credentials, motives, access, was he paid, etc. have all been fair game. Why? Because his findings disagree with certain posters here? Seems like that is the only reason.

RobBlock

Maybe you could educate me on what I quoted incorrectly, but maybe that's too much to ask.

RobBlock

Sure.

right there.
Oh, I'm sorry, I was under the impression that my use of quotation marks indicated where I was actually quoting the article. I just tried to defend poor @lobelia who was attacked. You're a piece of work. Go pick a fight with someone else.

My apologies for the unnecessary distraction in this otherwise excellent thread.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Oh, I'm sorry, I was under the impression that my use of quotation marks indicated where I was actually quoting the article. I just tried to defend poor @lobelia who was attacked. You're a piece of work. Go pick a fight with someone else.

My apologies for the unnecessary distraction in this otherwise excellent thread.

Not sure she was being attacked, but kudos for riding to her rescue.

You quoted the article, yes. Then, you made your comment about the study being funded by Coca Cola. like I said, mixing actual facts with conjecture.

RobBlock

Not sure she was being attacked, but kudos for riding to her rescue.

You quoted the article, yes. Then, you made your comment about the study being funded by Coca Cola. like I said, mixing actual facts with conjecture.

Just so I understand forum etiquette, if posts contain facts, then they cannot also contain comments, opinions, jests or conjecture. Got it. I'll be sure to keep them separate in the future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom