MyMagic+ article from Fast Company magazine

BJones82

NGE was a project in development for years that didn't take into account an NFC payment system that has been around for over a decade, with Google Wallet existing since 2011 and everyone knowing an apple wallet was coming sooner or later. How was a feature like this missed in the initial development of the payment terminals?

Google Wallet was not NFC when it first launched though it uses the technology.... There is a reason no one else has started using NFC in parks because it is extremely resource intensive to roll out and requires a huge infrastructure upgrade in most cases.

NFC stands for Near Field Communication. This means you can have two electronics close together and pass information securely between them. This technology has not been around for over a decade as you state it first started showing up on devices about 5 years ago with Samsung Smart Phones which is when Google Wallet adapted to include it. That being said it has not taken off in the same way Apple Pay has. What the infrastructure in place with MM+ allows for is the switch from using Magic bands which use RFID to using smart phones for the same things. The infrastructure put in place because of MM+ though it was needed regardless allows for these changes which would not have been possible before.

Apple pay is something which Apple developed from NFC and is essentially the same though it uses different APIs. That being said anywhere you go where it is now excepted it was not an easy roll out because it was the first widely excepted form of NFC payment.

My prediction is that what we have today from MM+ is mostly what we will have 5 years from now.

The fact that they just rolled out the online check in portion to MM+ shows this system is not as stagnant as you claim and is flexible.

Disclaimer since it seems everyone here must declare their love or hate for MM+: I'm indifferent towards it. I use it to my advantage and am ok with it, but I could be just as happy going back to the old kttw system.

I like the technology and ideas behind MM+ and think that my over all experience has improved because of it though I think the biggest part I am happiest about is the unseen parts, the infrastructure, and what that means for the future of the parks.

Many people are saying that when UNI decides to make the leap it will not be as expensive because they will do it in a smarter way. That is part of following, if you do not do something first you can learn from others, unfortunately sometimes you cannot and should not wait for others to do it. Also UNI has a tiny footprint compared to that which is WDW and the complexity of laying redundant fiber around UNI is not the same as laying it throughout WDW and should not be compared as such...

In summary, NFC is not decades old, Apple Pay is not exactly NFC, MM+ has shown flexibility already, the most important part of the upgrade is the infrastructure and what it allows

Edit: Google wallet NFC compatible devices and merchants list... Extremely small for a technology as you which has been around for over a decade...

https://www.google.com/wallet/

Edit 2: NFC didn't actually start to show up until 2013 in smart Phones so that is my bad on thinking it was about 5 years ago...

Last edited:

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Because its not.
According to the article, that is not complete true

I ask where MyMagic+ will influence Avatar Land, and Rohde turns my attention to the model, which is the size of three Ping-Pong tables. He swirls his finger around a tiny section. This little spot is where MyMagic+ will be put to use, in “the most intensive, interactive moments.” What about the area’s two big attractions? “Less so,” he adds.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
And how do you know that the interactive stuff isn't coming down the road?

Maybe they thought to themselves they need to get the baseline stuff of magic bands, FP+, & MDE app working near 100% before adding other things to it because of the set backs they've had throughout it's first couple of years.

Not saying they will but when you keep repeating this talking point over and over and over and over it's as if you're a scorned lover who is on the verge of getting a restraining order.

For one thing the huge layoff in January of Orlando IT people many of them developers, I think we will continue to see minor enhancements and bug fixes but I think MM+ has pretty much reached it's final form irrespective of the 'happy talk' coming out of Glendale, Now they may TRY to do this out of India, That's likely to have 'interesting' results.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Unfortunately, we'll never see Fast Pass + removed from WDW. Removing it would be admitting failure. And since this HBFW, like the article said, Failure is not an option.

Except the stink of #FAIL is everywhere in WDW and nowhere is it more obvious than EPCOT and DHS in that order.

Last edited:

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I honestly believe that this quote shows what likely the future of the "interactivity" part of MM+ will be:

One former NGE executive believes the public won’t "see Imagineering leverage the NGE platform until the next wave of attractions." Even then, he believes, the group will never see MyMagic+ as anything more than another paintbrush at its disposal. "The Imagineers didn’t know what [MyMagic+ would become]," this source says. "So if you need to design it into a ride that has to handle thousands of people an hour, continuously, that can be really hard! The Imagineers wanted to wait to figure out how they want to use it in their storytelling."

And IMO, that is what it should be. The use of interactive technology needs to be integrated into the story of the attraction. Interactivity just for interactivity's sake is just shoving it in your face for no reason, and taking you out of the story of the attraction.
If it can be integrated into the attraction's story though, then it makes sense to use. To that end, I think inserting it into existing attractions that were not designed to have it as part of the story will break the attraction ("Where's Capt Jack anyone?).
But when designing a new attraction, if it makes sense and adds to the story (the rebel spy in Star Tours), then it's a tool that can be leveraged.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It is.

It's not reasonable to assume you know the answer though. ;)

Never said I knew the answer, I have a hypothesis about the answer and various insiders data seems to confirm it but I don't at all find it acceptable in any way that a CEO refuses to answer investors questions about a major expenditure.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
On reflection yes I think you are correct - I will fix
It's hard to see, and most disagree, because World Showcase can still be a good time. Lots of personal opinion goes into my rankings, as I can actually spend more enjoyable time in DHS, even it it's current state, then I can in Epcot.
I'm just hopeful that something really does start to happen at DHS, because it's really only a minor difference right now. Plus, MK, DHS, and DAK all getting expansions leaves Epcot to hopefully be next. And it leaves me a few years to work on my resume for "chief designer of the unlimited budget Epcot reinvention" position that I'm sure is on the horizon.

(Horizon... Horizons... See what I did there?)

gmajew

According to the article, that is not complete true

Can you imagine what they could do with this technology in new lands! It would be so cool... Even though not the same look at what Universal is doing with the wands and the interaction stuff you get to do with that.

My kids loved it and I am sure the technology they now have at their disposal will be incredible if they use it in the new rides and lands they build.

I am just excited about the star wars potential.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It's hard to see, and most disagree, because World Showcase can still be a good time. Lots of personal opinion goes into my rankings, as I can actually spend more enjoyable time in DHS, even it it's current state, then I can in Epcot.
I'm just hopeful that something really does start to happen at DHS, because it's really only a minor difference right now. Plus, MK, DHS, and DAK all getting expansions leaves Epcot to hopefully be next. And it leaves me a few years to work on my resume for "chief designer of the unlimited budget Epcot reinvention" position that I'm sure is on the horizon.

(Horizon... Horizons... See what I did there?)

I had been thinking the past 10 years, But If I go back to the late 80's when EPCOT was AMAZING yes EPCOT should be first on the list for WDW parks which are a hollow shell of what they had been.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I had been thinking the past 10 years, But If I go back to the late 80's when EPCOT was AMAZING yes EPCOT should be first on the list for WDW parks which are a hollow shell of what they had been.
Maybe for me its the difference that makes it like that. EPCOT was once the unquestionable best theme park in the world (IMO), and it was more than just a theme park.
I think that from it's height to it's current state makes me feel that Epcot is in worse shape than DHS, because MGM Studios never really soared to the heights that Epcot did, so the fall is less noticeable.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Can you imagine what they could do with this technology in new lands! It would be so cool... Even though not the same look at what Universal is doing with the wands and the interaction stuff you get to do with that.

My kids loved it and I am sure the technology they now have at their disposal will be incredible if they use it in the new rides and lands they build.

Like I said. I'm all for new tech, as long as it serves the theme and story. As amazing as it would be to have Yoda speak directly to me (it would probably be a lifetime dream in some ways), if it breaks the story of a well themed attraction, then it's just using tech for tech sake.
Priority one should be to make the best attraction possible. If integrating MM+ interactive tech into it serves that purpose, then fantastic.
The article comparing it to a tool, a paintbrush, fits right in to how I feel the technology should/could be used.

BJones82

Like I said. I'm all for new tech, as long as it serves the theme and story. As amazing as it would be to have Yoda speak directly to me (it would probably be a lifetime dream in some ways), if it breaks the story of a well themed attraction, then it's just using tech for tech sake.

I agree with this completely and agree with your point in a previous post adding this technology to existing rides would just be doing it for the sake of doing it, it is something that should be and will be completely integrated into stories of rides not just added on for fluff

gmajew

Priority one should be to make the best attraction possible. If integrating MM+ interactive tech into it serves that purpose, then fantastic.
The article comparing it to a tool, a paintbrush, fits right in to how I feel the technology should/could be used.

Oh I agree but imagine walking star wars land and storm troopers walking around and they say stop and say your name! The thrill the kids and the geeks would get.

I don't want it on the rides if it does not fit I want it in the lands... the smaller details that make disney what it was and is.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Oh I agree but imagine walking star wars land and storm troopers walking around and they say stop and say your name! The thrill the kids and the geeks would get.

I don't want it on the rides if it does not fit I want it in the lands... the smaller details that make disney what it was and is.

I think in that scenario the score would be for every hundred people 10 would be happy 90 would be creeped out. And of course it would go without saying Disney executives would think it's BRILLIANT.

gmajew

I think in that scenario the score would be for every hundred people 10 would be happy 90 would be creeped out. And of course it would go without saying Disney executives would think it's BRILLIANT.

LOL they would be able to tell and read people based on dress etc who they should do it to. Guidelines and procedures.... With star wars stuff you will get the crazy and you will know who to do it to.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

The key to Universal's interactive success is YOU interact with the environment if YOU choose, Disney is looking at more of a a PUSH model where the environment interacts with you and YOU have no choice in the matter.

I don't WANT characters to know my name unless I choose to share it with them (ie a button or something similar).

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
LOL they would be able to tell and read people based on dress etc who they should do it to. Guidelines and procedures.... With star wars stuff you will get the crazy and you will know who to do it to.

Actually you don't look at the 501'st legion for example, Most choose to be stormtroopers because they are anonymous very few choose to be Imperial Officers and TIE pilots both of which are more or less 'face' roles. Many of the SW fans are quite shy yet passionate about the experience.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
The key to Universal's interactive success is YOU interact with the environment if YOU choose, Disney is looking at more of a a PUSH model where the environment interacts with you and YOU have no choice in the matter.

I don't WANT characters to know my name unless I choose to share it with them (ie a button or something similar).
It would be VERY easy to add an "opt out" button in MDE for anyone to decide they didn't want it.

And I highly doubt that 90% of people would be "creeped out" with interactivity. I don't see people creeped out when their face is on the screen at Star Tours, or when they are asked to roar like a lion in front of the crowd at FotLK.

There would be people, sure. But 90% is IMO no way near how bad it would be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom