MyMagic+ article from Fast Company magazine

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I think in that scenario the score would be for every hundred people 10 would be happy 90 would be creeped out. And of course it would go without saying Disney executives would think it's BRILLIANT.
Sorry, but have to heartily disagree with you on this one. I think the percentages would be reversed, as I believe most people would love it. I know that we would, and we're older adults! You are simply to much of a curmudgeon to see how awesome something like that would be to most. JMHO, of course, and you are certainly entitled to yours. ;)

afb28

For one thing the huge layoff in January of Orlando IT people many of them developers, I think we will continue to see minor enhancements and bug fixes but I think MM+ has pretty much reached it's final form irrespective of the 'happy talk' coming out of Glendale, Now they may TRY to do this out of India, That's likely to have 'interesting' results.
The interactive stuff is more on imagineering side than it is the IT side. The IT side is more when the app or bands fail to register things properly but I would think the layoffs are because the staff that is necessary to help has been cut down since they have an understanding of it now.

It's like any time a new product comes out, that company will probably ask for OT from its employees because they expect issues and need to get that understanding of how to fix it before going back to status quo.

hokielutz

I don't believe they will ever recover the full cost. Most large IT projects do not.

I'm not sure this is something you can accurately measure. The Corp Brass can make claims about getting an adequate ROI with pointing to an uptick in Guest return metric and they may take a certain amount of the growth in revenue/attendance and say this wouldn't have happened if they didn't invest in MM+.

But like I said... it is a a very subjective measurement and you can slice up the numbers many ways to get a result for a board presentation.

Jeffxz

Google Wallet was not NFC when it first launched though it uses the technology.... There is a reason no one else has started using NFC in parks because it is extremely resource intensive to roll out and requires a huge infrastructure upgrade in most cases.

NFC stands for Near Field Communication. This means you can have two electronics close together and pass information securely between them. This technology has not been around for over a decade as you state it first started showing up on devices about 5 years ago with Samsung Smart Phones which is when Google Wallet adapted to include it. That being said it has not taken off in the same way Apple Pay has. What the infrastructure in place with MM+ allows for is the switch from using Magic bands which use RFID to using smart phones for the same things. The infrastructure put in place because of MM+ though it was needed regardless allows for these changes which would not have been possible before.

You are correct here, my initial post should have read "NGE was a project in development for years that didn't take into account an RFID payment system that has been around for over a decade".

RFID contactless payments which NFC devices take advantage of have existed for over a decade. From the merchant side an RFID reader is all that is necessary to communicate with a phone that supports NFC.

Look at "Visa payWave" or "Mastercard PayPass" for examples.

Apple pay is something which Apple developed from NFC and is essentially the same though it uses different APIs. That being said anywhere you go where it is now excepted it was not an easy roll out because it was the first widely excepted form of NFC payment.

Not exactly. Apple pay uses NFC the same way all other devices do to communicate to the terminal, the difference is that it supports the EMV tokenization standard. While apple was the first to take advantage of this standard and contributed to its development, it is not limited to Apple Pay.

Somehow McDonalds, Wallgreens, Subway and a bunch of other chains were able to accept Apple Pay on Day 1.

The fact that they just rolled out the online check in portion to MM+ shows this system is not as stagnant as you claim and is flexible.

I assume you are referring to direct to room check in and not online check in. This started testing 8 or 9 months ago and was one of the original goals of MM+ that was delayed.

I like the technology and ideas behind MM+ and think that my over all experience has improved because of it though I think the biggest part I am happiest about is the unseen parts, the infrastructure, and what that means for the future of the parks.

Many people are saying that when UNI decides to make the leap it will not be as expensive because they will do it in a smarter way. That is part of following, if you do not do something first you can learn from others, unfortunately sometimes you cannot and should not wait for others to do it. Also UNI has a tiny footprint compared to that which is WDW and the complexity of laying redundant fiber around UNI is not the same as laying it throughout WDW and should not be compared as such...

I don't disagree here. The infrastructure put in place isn't going to waste, WiFi and most of the other infrastructure was going to be required at some point. I just don't think the customer facing parts of it are much more than a gimmick.

DLR and DLP also have much smaller footprints than WDW and I don't see TWDC in a hurry to invest in these programs at those resorts. If TWDC really believes MM+ is a successful investment we should see the systems rolled out to those resorts soon.

Universal probably won't decide to do something on this scale, considering they don't own the hotels and don't have an FP+ system. WiFi and a wait time app works fine for them. They might switch to RFID tickets some day that can double as a room key, but I highly doubt they will ever try to integrate all those systems into a single domain.

lobelia

Do users still have to enter a pin when paying for food or merchandise? That was to mitigate security concerns but I haven't heard much about that lately?

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
So in other words, the conversation that went like this:
And how do you know that the interactive stuff isn't coming down the road?

Because its not.

According to the article, that is not complete true

I simply do not believe them.

Should have gone like this:
And how do you know that the interactive stuff isn't coming down the road?

Because I do not believe that it is

and then it would have been done.

lobelia

I read it as though the author discovered that they were not planning on retrofitting existing rides with interactivity with the band but that future "attractions" might have components. The criticism he had regarding this was that the project was sold on this and it didn't happen and will likely not happen in the current rides. Going forward is such a long time away so it certainly feels like it's not happening. Of course it will require WDI to include these opportunities into the design and it doesn't sound like they are too eager for that. Rhode seems like he is playing both fields. There will be an attraction which will interact with the band but it won't be the C or E tickets coming to DAK.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Of course it will require WDI to include these opportunities into the design and it doesn't sound like they are too eager for that. Rhode seems like he is playing both fields. There will be an attraction which will interact with the band but it won't be the C or E tickets coming to DAK.
Or maybe he didn't want to give too much away??

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
The key to Universal's interactive success is YOU interact with the environment if YOU choose, Disney is looking at more of a a PUSH model where the environment interacts with you and YOU have no choice in the matter.

I don't WANT characters to know my name unless I choose to share it with them (ie a button or something similar).

Yes. For example, last time I rode ET I was able to jimmy the bike handle lap bar, exit my vehicle and beat those little baby aliens on ET's home world back into the stone age. I didn't feel like celebrating nothing. Plus, I covered ET's finger in foil, which as we all know, renders it powerless. I told the various park personnel, I heard tell that I could interact with the environment however I wanted and it was little differences like this that set them apart from Disney. I then enjoyed a free meal at Mythos.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
This shouldn't be news.
It isn't news unless you are trying to dispel the stupid rumor that you are absolutely required to reserve certain attractions exactly 60 days out, as people are saying. You're not, but you can't convince the naysayers any different, even when the reality is that you can get FP+ the day before, even for some of the top attractions.

So I know what they'll say now. But I couldn't do it on Easter/July 4/Christmas Day/New Years Day, so the system sucks.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Being able to get day of Fastpasses on your phone or at centralized locations would have been a great improvement. That's not what they did.

Correct, they also provided me the opportunity to select a time that fits my schedule and not the pre-defined time at a ticket kiosk and from the comfort of my home in advance. Many on this board do not like anything about any advance planning but believe it or not having it takes some of the "stress" many families feel away. It does add to the work done up-front but simply knowing your top couple rides each day are covered with FPs is an improvement for many.

I personally think a day or two in advance would be plenty for my family, we don't like having to decide 60 days out which parks & rides we want to do but a couple days before would be great. As an added benefit we don't have to split up the family for FPs anymore, I can do it right from my phone in the park with little to no trouble.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Let it go,
Let it go....
giphy.gif

hokielutz

Maybe for me its the difference that makes it like that. EPCOT was once the unquestionable best theme park in the world (IMO), and it was more than just a theme park.
I think that from it's height to it's current state makes me feel that Epcot is in worse shape than DHS, because MGM Studios never really soared to the heights that Epcot did, so the fall is less noticeable.

So this is probably a question for a separate thread...
But isn't Epcot hamstrung by the contracts with each pavilion's Corporate sponsor?
I mean we all know the Kodak contract for the Imag pavilion called for a refurb of the original ride... yet due to a failing business model, Kodak was not willing to give the ride the proper investment and resulted in the crappy scaled back JIYI and then JIYI wFig. And Eisner & TDO not wanting to back fill Kodak's lackluster investment.

hopemax

That's intersting. I don't think that is always the case for those 2 rides. It is a less popular time now (there aren't really down times anymore).

To your point, I was one of the skeptics who felt that there would be no way to actually book good FPs day of or switch reservations. When I was there in November (another less crowded time) I was able to easily switch my reservations day of with the exception of a few headliners. I don't think it's as bad as a lot of us feared.

I actually booked a FP for TSMM yesterday, for today. What's missing from "available" is that for my party of 2, I was given the option of 2 times. 12:25-1:25, or 5:50-6:50. I took the earlier, because we wouldn't be in the park that late. If you had a dining reservation that conflicted, it would be straight back into "you get the time we give you" territory of legacy. If you had a larger party, I wonder how "available" it was. And our "Yay, I don't have to run back and forth through the park 'benefit'" to get times in the mid-afternoon, ended up meaning we went Star Tours, ToT, TSMM...so we were going back and forth through the park. Thankfully, Studios is small. To really get the times to work out, the closer you can book to 60 days, the better. Yes, TSMM times can be available later, but you end up planning your entire day around that window.

EDIT: Now, we would have liked to have had the option of programming something on our phone, so that when we rode Star Tours we could be directed to load the vehicle that was heading to the destination we were most interested in, and not get the 2 planets we had the least interest in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom