MyMagic+ article from Fast Company magazine

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
You've hit the nail on the head there - MyMagic works for groups with kids, but for single travellers or childless couples, who never had to plan a thing before, it adds complications instead of simplifying them, but it's been well established that if you don't have kids Disney considers you very much a second class citizen, so that's not really anything new.
I get what you are saying, but let me be all "preachy parent" for a second and suggest that the amount of hassle added to a non-child family by MM+ likely pales in comparison to the hassle of actually bringing children to the parks. While someday I look forward to complaining that I had to click a few buttons on my computer and decide I'll go to MK on a specific day, for the foreseeable future, they've made my life markedly better.

There. Did I sound enough like one of those annoying parent type people? I hope so, because I am.

BrerJon

Are you living under a rock?

Disney springs
Frozen ride (may or not be new track but it's way more than an overlay)
Soarin expansion
Toy story expansion
Africa minor expansion
New restaurant at MK adventureland

And it's all but announced that a major redo of all of DHS including Star Wars and more is going to happen.

I'm pretty sure that's the most new construction at one time that's gone on ever outside of building a new park. Certainly the most in a very, very long time.

This isn't a conversation for here but... no, most definitely, no. Take a look at the Disney Decade in the history books.

jakeman

You've hit the nail on the head there - MyMagic works for groups with kids, but for single travellers or childless couples, who never had to plan a thing before, it adds complications instead of simplifying them, but it's been well established that if you don't have kids Disney considers you very much a second class citizen, so that's not really anything new.
Eh...that's your opinion. As someone who travels to WDW with and without kids, I don't find it particularly cumbersome and as I didn't much care for the morning rush for FP's especially when it's just the wife and I, I find it a general improvement to my vacation.

NearTheEars

It's done wonders for us, even as a local, childless couple. But it's backfired for Disney because we actually spend less time in the parks than before. Especially at the MK. Having 3 headliners already in our back pocket is a big time saver.

Before it was a roll of the dice when it came to FP times, so if we got to DHS early, but our paper FP for TSMM wasn't until 4 we were way more likely to stay and have lunch.

Now, at DHS, we hit everything early, possibly watch BATB or wait standby for RnRC and are out before lunch time. So we'll grab some food off property and head to the outlets or other O-TOWN venues, then head back up the Turnpike home.

PhotoDave219

A key concept you overlooked in your criticism... INTEGRATION- single experience, single identity, and probably countless levels deleted behind the scenes

Integration of EXISTING products. While I'm sure thats all GeeWizDandy to some San Francisco based consultant, it doesnt mean much to the average WDW regular.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It's done wonders for us, even as a local, childless couple. But it's backfired for Disney because we actually spend less time in the parks than before. Especially at the MK. Having 3 headliners already in our back pocket is a big time saver.

Before it was a roll of the dice when it came to FP times, so if we got to DHS early, but our paper FP for TSMM wasn't until 4 we were way more likely to stay and have lunch.

Now, at DHS, we hit everything early, possibly watch BATB or wait standby for RnRC and are out before lunch time. So we'll grab some food off property and head to the outlets or other O-TOWN venues, then head back up the Turnpike home.
Nah, not a backfire. They got your money and got you out quickly. You just freed up space for the next paying customer. How do you think they got those extra 5,000 people into the park thanks to MM+;)

RSoxNo1

I disagree. That is a blanket statement that I have not found based on conversations around MM+ since it's inception.
I've of course spoken to people who have had issues with the system, and who dislike it. I have however had far more conversations with people who love it overall.
Of course this is anecdotal evidence and not proof, but that's kind of my point. We have no numbers on this, and we disagree with the general feeling about it. That right there is enough to discount blanket statements.
The system has more down time than the previous Fastpass system ever did. The user interface is unnecessarily complex. Beyond that, there is a large population of people that feel scheduling 60 days in advance is a ridiculous premise.

I know full well that there are also people that appreciate the guarantee that they can get onto an attraction, but in many of those cases I've found that the people are only satisfied because they are ignorant of the alternatives. When I ask people what they think of the Fastpass+ system they seem to be highly in favor of it. Then, I explain to them what it replaced and their reaction has universally been, "wow that sounds a lot easier" or "why did they change from that?" I have seen most of the surveys Disney has put out there regarding Fastpass+ and I have yet to see one that asks for a guests opinion while comparing it to the previous version.

NearTheEars

Nah, not a backfire. They got your money and got you out quickly. You just freed up space for the next paying customer. How do you think they got those extra 5,000 people into the park thanks to MM+;)

Not sure if makes at difference since we are APs. And we have already made about 30 visits in this pass year alone. I think they might be losing money on us ha!

jakeman

The system has more down time than the previous Fastpass system ever did. The user interface is unnecessarily complex. Beyond that, there is a large population of people that feel scheduling 60 days in advance is a ridiculous premise.

I know full well that there are also people that appreciate the guarantee that they can get onto an attraction, but in many of those cases I've found that the people are only satisfied because they are ignorant of the alternatives. When I ask people what they think of the Fastpass+ system they seem to be highly in favor of it. Then, I explain to them what it replaced and their reaction has universally been, "wow that sounds a lot easier" or "why did they change from that?" I have seen most of the surveys Disney has put out there regarding Fastpass+ and I have yet to see one that asks for a guests opinion while comparing it to the previous version.
Why would they do that? The old version isn't coming back.

If people don't want to schedule 60 days out then don't. If I had the ability to head to MK right now I would have FPs available for anything but Mine Train, Peter Pan, Monsters, and Philharmagic. Tomorrow everything is available except Mine Train or parades.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Integration of EXISTING products. While I'm sure thats all GeeWizDandy to some San Francisco based consultant, it doesnt mean much to the average WDW regular.

Sure it does... it's just expected now from modern customer service and offers... yet it doesn't always exist, and certainly didn't exist in WDW. From seperate FP systems, ADRs, hotel reservations, Disney websites, etc.

Like the idea ADRs had to be tracked by phone numbers.. travel was seperate... in-park stuff was completely isolated.

Now Disney has one identity, you don't have to keep repeating your core stuff, and you can leverage data across these seemlessly for the enduser. Like having a single Disney App on your phone, that knows your FPs, knows the park schedule, knows your ADRs, and more.

Things like the MyDisneyExperience app did NOT exist, nor did the integration of functionality from all these different places exist anywhere for the customer.

Don't forget large portions of Disney's infrastructure were probably still running on mainframe applications.

There are many things people simply EXPECT now because 'its like that everywhere else'... and while Disney did have many of these things in isolation, they were not unified, and yes that DOES matter to the customer.

Think of the alternative... separate identities for each, separate apps for each, a FP+ system that doesn't know your ticket info, etc.

RSoxNo1

Why would they do that? The old version isn't coming back.

If people don't want to schedule 60 days out then don't. If I had the ability to head to MK right now I would have FPs available for anything but Mine Train, Peter Pan, Monsters, and Philharmagic. Tomorrow everything is available except Mine Train or parades.
And to me that's a step backwards. When the system was in it's infancy we kept asking, "will they hold back FP+ reservations for day guests?" It's the same issue that @Lee has articulated so many times about dining. Not everyone is an uber type A planner. The disparity between what someone that plans a Disney vacation gets vs. someone that doesn't plan a Disney vacation is significant to the extent that those people that don't plan properly aren't getting sufficient value. I can't imagine that does much for their "intent to return" metrics.

jakeman

And to me that's a step backwards. When the system was in it's infancy we kept asking, "will they hold back FP+ reservations for day guests?" It's the same issue that @Lee has articulated so many times about dining. Not everyone is an uber type A planner. The disparity between what someone that plans a Disney vacation gets vs. someone that doesn't plan a Disney vacation is significant to the extent that those people that don't plan properly aren't getting sufficient value. I can't imagine that does much for their "intent to return" metrics.
I'm not processing...I just showed that FPs are available for a majority of the attractions at MK in the two hours that are left in the day. Meaning if someone were to pick up right now and head to MK they would be able to get a fastpass for any ride but 4 of them.

Also regarding dinner, for a party of 4 all restaurants are showing availability tomorrow except for 8 at dinner time.

If I wanted a late night snack, I could actually go to Cinderella's Table at 11:00 p.m. tonight if I wanted.

EDIT: Combined post

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

I'm not processing...I just showed that FPs are available for a majority of the attractions at MK in the two hours that are left in the day. Meaning if someone were to pick up right now and head to MK they would be able to get a fastpass for any ride but 4 of them.
That was true with legacy fastpass as well. Fastpass+ has resulted in attractions running out of Fastpass quicker to the extend that they're upping the capacity at Soarin' and Toy Story Mania by 50%. They had this ridiculous premise that each guest needed to have 3 advanced reservations to feel "value" so they intentionally deceived guests by putting Fastpass+ where it never belonged. Fastpass+ could work well, but they either need to match the $1-2 billion MM+ investment in rides at each of the 4 parks, or reduce the advanced bookings to 0 or 1.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Please quantify "large population". Please quantify the amount of down time on the system vs the old.
You speak of opinions as if they were facts.

Do you think that potentially your obvious bias against the current system might taint your explanation of the old vs new system enough to make someone who does not know anything about it believe it was something it was not?

For example, here is me describing the differences between the two systems.

Back during the FP days, most parks you needed to be at at rope drop if you wanted to ride your favorite ride without standing in line. Then you had to run to the attraction, literally run to TSMM in order to hopefully get a FP before they were gone. One time I had to split my family up, me running to TSMM while my wife and kids ran to Jedi Training Academy. When we met back up, I had a FP for 8pm, the last available time, and that was the exact time my kid was able to get into Jedi Training Academy. We were stuck with the FP.
Once you ran to one section of the park, you might find out that your FP was not for hours to come, so you had to find other things to do to kill time. Maybe you ride the local rides, shop, etc, or maybe you go to another section of the park and come all the way back at your appointed time. If you had a late FP, you were stuck with it, no matter if you decided to hop to another park, you were starving and wanted to eat instead, or you just felt like leaving. Use it or lose it. Stand in line or stay until your FP time is there. There were also rules as to when you could get another fastpass, and you had to keep track of a pocket full of paper slips. Hope you didn't get on Kali and forget to stow them safely!

In the new system, you can preplan as much or as little as you want. If you know you want to go on a few specific attractions that are quite popular, you can do so, you just need to book it in advance from your computer or cell phone. Most rides do not need advanced booking FP+ except in the busiest of times, so you can feel free to just grab a couple you may want while you are booking the ones you REALLY want, and feel safe in knowing that at any time between then and the moment you are standing in the park, you can change it to another ride, or another time. You are not stuck with anything. Just like dining, you have a few "must do" attractions that you know you want to hit, and book accordingly. You can change things at any time, I've been in line realizing I won't make a FP time and in a minute or so, shifted it to later in the day. I did this so much on my last trip that it was the most spontaneous and stress free trip in a decade.

Now, I went to extremes here obviously to paint the picture I wanted to paint, but no matter if you agree with my over the top assessments or not, you hopefully can see that bias can paint drastically different pictures, whether you mean to or not.

jakeman

That was true with legacy fastpass as well. Fastpass+ has resulted in attractions running out of Fastpass quicker to the extend that they're upping the capacity at Soarin' and Toy Story Mania by 50%. They had this ridiculous premise that each guest needed to have 3 advanced reservations to feel "value" so they intentionally deceived guests by putting Fastpass+ where it never belonged. Fastpass+ could work well, but they either need to match the $1-2 billion MM+ investment in rides at each of the 4 parks, or reduce the advanced bookings to 0 or 1.
Fastpasses are available for Soarin and Toy Story Mania tomorrow.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Fastpasses are available for Soarin and Toy Story Mania tomorrow.
That's intersting. I don't think that is always the case for those 2 rides. It is a less popular time now (there aren't really down times anymore).

To your point, I was one of the skeptics who felt that there would be no way to actually book good FPs day of or switch reservations. When I was there in November (another less crowded time) I was able to easily switch my reservations day of with the exception of a few headliners. I don't think it's as bad as a lot of us feared.

jakeman

That's intersting. I don't think that is always the case for those 2 rides. It is a less popular time now (there aren't really down times anymore).

To your point, I was one of the skeptics who felt that there would be no way to actually book good FPs day of or switch reservations. When I was there in November (another less crowded time) I was able to easily switch my reservations day of with the exception of a few headliners. I don't think it's as bad as a lot of us feared.
I would think that crowds are above average based on park hours. MGM is open until 9:30 tomorrow night. MK was open until midnight tonight.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom