MyMagic+ article from Fast Company magazine

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Okay, you're describing the existing KTTW card & FP, only instead its been integrated with the phone. Yes, simplified to some degree.

But these were existing Disney technologies. Where is the revolutionary, groundbreaking and new things that came out of NGE?
Maybe you should define what you see as groundbreaking.

Should they have gone from paper fastpasses to neural interfaces that would allow you to get fastpasses just by thinking about it?

Technology rarely makes large leaps. It grows by incremental bits. Eventually thpse little bits adds up to something new.

The iPhone was seen as groundbreaking, but it was simply the result of the gradual evolution in technology.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
But they haven't and Disney has already shown their system is able to work with NFC with Apple pay and other things that will come down the road... People are greatly under estimating the cost of infrastructure and the databases required to track and store all the information the MM+ and any system like it holds...
Yes, Disney is ahead of the curve. But I think the companies like Apple or Samsung are gonna do a majority of the work that will allow all businesses to easily incorporate it into their payment system. If they want major companies like Grocery stores, Wal MArt or even local gas stations to participate, they will have to make it somewhat easy to adapt to. Its great that Disney has it now, but at the cost they have spent to be the first to have it NOW, other companies (Uni included) will most likely spend far less than Disney has and be just as up to date and not spend anywhere near the amount of money on maintenance Disney has already had to cough up.

DDLand

Im confused if you were saying that 74 is a tech writer or the author of the article is? Apologies if I misread your post. I thought you were saying that 74 writes for a tech blog, thats what I meant about personal info. Again, my bad if I misunderstood.
Okay, it seems like there was a misunderstanding on both sides. My bad.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
What bothers me most with it is the inability to have spontaneity now....and I am the very type of obsessive planner this is for! Change a fasspass or dinner reservation and forget about getting a comparable one.
As discussed before in many threads, but rehashed again because I seem to be avoiding work today, I've personally found my trip so much more spontanious since the advent of FP+ due to the ability to change things. Previously, if I had a paper FP, I either use it, or miss it. Now, if I'm having fun in Tomorrowland and don't think I can make it to Fronteirland in time, I have options available to me. I can try and change my time for my FP. I can decide to try and grab a FP for a different attraction. Sure, a good choice may not be available, but taken over the fact that previously I had no choice, I've been able to be more relaxed in the parks and flexible to what is happening in the moment.
Just my personal experience though. I hate to keep saying things equivalent to IMO, but since I know I hold a different opinion than most, I want to stress that these are not blanket statements, just personal experiences with them.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
When it comes to me wanting the approval of an Internet stranger, you're mistaken. I just wanted him to have a better lay of the land. Crazy can be overwhelming.
Perhaps letting him learn and base his judgement on his own experience rather than outside influence would result in a more natural growth and understanding of this community. Why the need to explain the lay of the land? Its obvious the man is intelligent enough to make up his own mind. And while crazy can be overwhelming, nobody respects an a** kisser.

jakeman

I asked him if he received anything or was comped by Disney. Asking it is not the same as thinking it. How would I be able to know without asking? He answered the question w/o mentioning any hint of it being rude or it being an attack. Everybody EXCEPT AustinC says it was an "attack". Thats fair in your book?
Serious question. Do you not perceive that asking him if he has taken compensation from Disney on the article is an attack on his ethics as a journalist?
What bothers me most with it is the inability to have spontaneity now....and I am the very type of obsessive planner this is for! Change a fasspass or dinner reservation and forget about getting a comparable one.
Eh...really?

I just pulled up MK today who not only is open to midnight it also has morning EMH. Everything but the parades, fireworks, and Frozen M&G are available. If you were to cancel something in theory all but three attractions would be open.

BJones82

other companies (Uni included) will most likely spend far less than Disney has and be just as up to date and not spend anywhere near the amount of money on maintenance Disney has already had to cough up

Assuming they have the infrastructure to support the systems, NFC is the payment of the future and is already usable at almost every grocery store or restaurant with a credit card swiping machine, there will need to be incremental jumps to get users to get on board but that is the way it is going and what we will see. To use NFC you need high speed internet to your terminals, something WDW did not have so they had to upgrade their infrastructure... something everyone will have to do be it through WiFi(dangerous from security to transfer payment info over WiFi).

If it was so cheep to do infrastructure upgrades we would see everyone doing it not only in companies but with internet around the world... WDW decided it was time to make the jump, other companies haven't yet but they will have to eventually...

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Perhaps letting him learn and base his judgement on his own experience rather than outside influence would result in a more natural growth and understanding of this community. Why the need to explain the lay of the land? Its obvious the man is intelligent enough to make up his own mind. And while crazy can be overwhelming, nobody respects an a** kisser.

He already stated he's not here to become a member of this community. He's not a Disney writer, he's just here to expand on the info contained in his article. It's 9000 words, and since he still has more info, he came here to do a Q&A. As for the a-kisser comment. Hysterical. Especially when one considers the source.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Okay but if you read the article, thats what was stated as the fundamental problem that NGE was supposed to address. Disney said that themselves.
I doesn't say that. It says people were complaining about that, but doesn't say NGE was intended to address that problem directly. How could it address high prices? If you want to address high prices, just lower them. The way NGE could reduce complaining about high prices is to improve the guest experience, so they didn't perceive the price as being too high anymore.

BJones82

I just pulled up MK today who not only is open to midnight it also has morning EMH. Everything but the parades, fireworks, and Frozen M&G are available. If you were to cancel something in theory all but three attractions would be open.

Did our whole trip this past weekend and Monday and Tuesday this week this way... Only time we had trouble was no FP available on Sat at Epcot but we were okay with that... It all depends on what your definition of spontaneity is, we are okay with making a few ADRs in advance and just going with the flow so to us it is very much alive.

For the first time we are actually planning things for our honeymoon but are restricting it to over a two week period only 5 ADRs and no FP in advance and just to go with it... There is something about just wandering through Disney and doing what you want and not saying you have to do everything while you are there...

PhotoDave219

The entire system is based off existing technologies, Disney didn't invent RFID, NFC, or low range or long range RFID readers... But they are choosing to use them in ways that people have not before... I definitely can see Disney in the next year or two allowing people to select to use smart phones instead of Magic Bands because their system can work with both..

I keep saying it, Infrastructure... Infrastructure... Infrastructure... Anyone who wants to implement a similar system will be forced to invest in this as well...

We're saying the same thing with infrastructure.

And my discussions are to what exists now, not what mar-or-may-not be in the pipeline.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Serious question. Do you not perceive that asking him if he has taken compensation from Disney on the article is an attack on his ethics as a journalist?

Pretty clear he doesn't. Maybe some people here are only used to hate reading Lifestylerz Blogs? And have no appreciation for real journalism?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Thanks so much for the kind words.
Trying to get back on topic here. I do have a question. Did you get any specific information on the data mining aspect of the program? Specifically, what level of detail are they capturing and storing data on individual guests and what are they then doing with that data?

We had a lot of discussions around what data the system would be capable of capturing using both the long range and short range censors. Disney could potentially compile quite a detailed behavioral profile by tracking and analyzing everything I do on property, every store I walk into, everything I buy and don't buy and what I ate. They could use all that data in a way similar to Target with the Red card to create a profile of me as a customer. That profile could then potentially be used by all divisions of the company.

I'm curious to see if they have rolled out anything like this or if they are just using the bands and censors primarily for operations. I think it would be a missed opportunity. Companies like Target and Harrahs have been successfully using data mining to streamline marketing and increase sales.

PhotoDave219

Maybe you should define what you see as groundbreaking.

Should they have gone from paper fastpasses to neural interfaces that would allow you to get fastpasses just by thinking about it?

Technology rarely makes large leaps. It grows by incremental bits. Eventually thpse little bits adds up to something new.

The iPhone was seen as groundbreaking, but it was simply the result of the gradual evolution in technology.

All I see is Disney taking what a bunch of their existing technologies - Photopass, KTTW, FP & Dining and just integrating them all and putting them in one spot. I don't see that as groundbreaking.

I see that as a necessary infrastructure expense and something that in 2015, you should be able to do.

But as a driver of revenue and attendance? Nope. And doesnt really go towards the two problems Disney identified at the top of the article as the source of non-returning guests: long lines and high prices.

gmajew

Such as? Care to weigh in on what they did, exactly beyond taking existing Disney technologies like KTTW & FP and integrate it with your phone?

Even if they did just an infrastructure upgrade it was on ancient technology right? There is a huge cost in converting door locks and turnstiles etc ask all the hotels that are now doing it is not cheap. Is that the additional money we keep hearing was spent? I don't know if we ever know. The question is they were going to make these changes in future no matter what as now everyone else is doing it as well now. Look at the hotel upgrades across country

I will say the switch to the phone app etc was all going to happen no matter what it had to as the world changed. Did they need to create a band for us to wear to do it. If the story is legit when they started the project they did as the phones did not do this yet.

How much money was lost in that process alone?

We can either like or dislike FP+ that is really the issue we all debate on what they did. Some love it some hate it. Some loved the old system some hated it. I loved the old system until I used the new and now actually enjoy sitting by the pool some and knowing I am getting my rides in still.

The dining innovations of having food brought to your table etc is becoming a normal thing now as the technology cost is coming down. Talk of the future is not having servers anymore and just food runners as cost of labor is getting so out of control.

Lee

Adventurer
To name a few
FP+
MemoryMaker (on-ride photos and videos without any intervention from the customer)
Be Our Guest's pre-ordering system
Daily itinerary tracking in my smartphone
(and behind the scenes, untold amounts of operational efficiencies potentially handled via data analytics).
All of that just sounds....awful to me.

Maybe it's just me...someone who never minded gathering up FP, never buys onride photos, doesn't want to pre-order a meal or even think about having an itinerary to be tracked on a phone.

For me, the negatives, or non-gains, simply outweigh the positives.

BJones82

Pretty clear he doesn't. Maybe some people here are only used to hate reading Lifestylerz Blogs? And have no appreciation for real journalism?

Though I agree there is a complete lack of appreciation for real journalism today, it also is very easy to make an article look great but then have an underlining tone and sometimes asking the journalist a question like if you were paid is important...

Case and point: A medical journal written in the late 90's said it linked autism to vaccines, it was later proven by thousands of studies this is not true and was shown he was paid to write the article by people who wanted the results to show there was a connection...

We are not opening the can of worms which is vaccines but the point is sometimes people need to ask because you cannot and should not simply trust everything you read online... It doesn't mean you are attacking the journalist it just means you want to make sure the article is reliable and you don't need to take it with a grain of salt...

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
While it may not be the nicest question, I think its fair to ask. It removes any doubt and especially considering Disney does comp people like Lou or DSMM in return for positive press. Austin is obviously an actual journalist, a good one, and not just a blogger but is it that crazy to ask just to make sure? like I said before, he answered the question with no problem. If he wasnt offended by it, why is everyone else? (not saying you persoanlly are offended). It goes with the old saying, the only dumb question is the one you DONT ask.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom