MyMagic+ article from Fast Company magazine

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
All of that just sounds....awful to me.

Maybe it's just me...someone who never minded gathering up FP, never buys onride photos, doesn't want to pre-order a meal or even think about having an itinerary to be tracked on a phone.

For me, the negatives, or non-gains, simply outweigh the positives.
Different touring styles
::shrug::

Since the addition of kids to the family, even going to visit the grandparents for a weekend can feel like planning the invasion of Normandy. Helping ease the stress while in the parks as MM+ has done for me has been a bigger positive change than they've added in years and years.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Maybe you should define what you see as groundbreaking.

Should they have gone from paper fastpasses to neural interfaces that would allow you to get fastpasses just by thinking about it?

Technology rarely makes large leaps. It grows by incremental bits. Eventually thpse little bits adds up to something new.

The iPhone was seen as groundbreaking, but it was simply the result of the gradual evolution in technology.
Where do I sign up for the neural interface? If I could have a churro delivered to me by drone just by thinking about it that would be so cool. I do wonder what would happen if I was thinking about.......never mind.

PhotoDave219

They must. Saying that FastPass and FastPass plus are the same thing is like saying Peter Pan on PPF and The Yeti are the same kind of animatronic characters. Ok, yeti is a bad example. Mark Twain in AA? Lets go with that.

FP allowed you to reserve a time on a ride, when in the park, at the ride, and gave you a piece of paper to track it.
FP+ is an online integrated solution, pre-reserving your attraction from home, allowing you to modify your FP on the fly in the park, that is a massive change.

But that's fine. To me, all the interesting pieces of MM+ aside from simplifying my park experience is the data. I drool over the data they're collecting and starting to analyze. All of that, while not ground breaking from a technological sense, is ground breaking for a theme park.

But, all this is my personal opinion of course.

I'm talking about taking existing Disney technologies (Photopass, KTTW, FP, Dining reservations - stuff that existed 2004 & earlier) and simply integrating them with a smartphone.

I don't see that as groundbreaking nor revolutionary, nor where anything truely new has come about. Yes, massive change has come in HOW a FP is made but the concept was around a long time ago.

I'll give you the data collection and the analytics but thats nothing a guest is going to get excited about. And I wonder... why wasnt Disney looking at that years ago?

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Different touring styles
::shrug::

Since the addition of kids to the family, even going to visit the grandparents for a weekend can feel like planning the invasion of Normandy. Helping ease the stress while in the parks as MM+ has done for me has been a bigger positive change than they've added in years and years.
Just not having to be there at rope drop to ensure I can ride the top attractions at reasonable times with little waits was a huge improvement.

Nubs70

All I see is Disney taking what a bunch of their existing technologies - Photopass, KTTW, FP & Dining and just integrating them all and putting them in one spot. I don't see that as groundbreaking.

I see that as a necessary infrastructure expense and something that in 2015, you should be able to do.

But as a driver of revenue and attendance? Nope. And doesnt really go towards the two problems Disney identified at the top of the article as the source of non-returning guests: long lines and high prices.
And the integration is all they needed to do. But to get the buyin from above integration needed to be lathered up with possibilities, might haves, and what nots. Which ballooned the budget.

One of the justifications is load leveling. By treating the customer as a piece of material to be processed, existing attractions can be run at more efficient capacity. This lessens customer choice and leads to longer lines at the less popular attractions. The underlying justification for MM+ is not customer enjoyment, but asset efficiency.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Hey all! I'm new to the Disney forums here, but wanted to let you know about a BIG new feature story on Disney's MyMagic+ that we're set to publish in Fast Company magazine. I'm sure you've all read tons about the company's NGE efforts, but this is the real, untold story of how the program came to life, based on more than 6 months of reporting. Lots and lots of insights and details to come about MM+.

Anyway, keep an eye out for the feature, which goes live online tomorrow (Wednesday) and hits newsstands this week, too. We also have a small preview of the story, linked here, in case you're eager to see what the article will be about. Hope you all enjoy!

http://www.fastcompany.com/3044922/...illion-attempt-to-reinvent-its-iconic-theme-p

Enjoy,
Austin

UPDATE: As others have since pointed out, the full MyMagic+ story is now online, from our May issue:

http://www.fastcompany.com/3044283/the-messy-business-of-reinventing-happiness

I'll be answering your questions too over the next couple days! Feel free to throw out whatever questions you may have about MyMagic+, and I'll do my best to respond asap!
Took me a bit longer than others to get through the article. Nicely done. And thank you for engaging on this site, as well.

A few questions in my head, in part driven by my experiences as a writer (accounting and financial reporting, so a completely different area):

1. What caused you to decide to tackle this topic?
2. Were Disney execs initially resistant to talking with you?
3. How did you decide you had done enough work and research and were ready to print the article?

And one question not about the writing experience:

4. Did you come away believing that the in-fighting and other problems that arose during this project were worse than similar problems that other companies face in working on similarly large/ambitious/costly projects?

BJones82

And the integration is all they needed to do. But to get the buyin from above integration needed to be lathered up with possibilities, might haves, and what nots. Which ballooned the budget.

This is so true with I.T. in general, spending money on I.T. isn't always pretty but is almost always necessary especially today... But to get buy in from Execs you have to fluff it up and add things to projects that maybe aren't necessary. And that is no ones fault either the Execs or I.T. it just is what it is... It actually is something people are starting to be trained in College for Networking or I.T. Management, how to sell I.T. to Executives who often didn't grow up with it or don't use it...

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I'll give you the data collection and the analytics but thats nothing a guest is going to get excited about. And I wonder... why wasnt Disney looking at that years ago?
Taking a wild guess, since I'm not in the know in any way, they were taking a look at data in an analytical fashion. This just gives them an unbelievable level of granularity that will allow for huge leaps in analytics
I think it touches upon it a tad in the article:
Insiders say the company historically knew little about its guests, even its most loyal ones. "We just treated everybody as a giant blob of people," says the former longtime manager involved with NGE. "It was time to figure out who our customers were so we could better serve them and stop delivering this one-size-fits-all experience."

wendysmom

We were there the first week in March...DH wanted to try changing things up, changing the fastpasses and dinner reservations. Couldn't get what we wanted. I'm glad you had a different experience. Days the parks close early, I feel cause different experiences.

The only place they didn't require seeing the actual cards for discounts was Germany, and we were dutifully wearing the DVC and annual passholder "charms", and had our phones.

::Shrug:: Different experiences. We go down 3 times a year, and this isn't keeping us away. I guess the ability to open your room door with it is neat.

Anyway...I guess I got off topic but still am not seeing the new amazing things created. As @PhotoDave219 said, it's a compilation of things already in existence.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
While it may not be the nicest question, I think its fair to ask. It removes any doubt and especially considering Disney does comp people like Lou or DSMM in return for positive press. Austin is obviously an actual journalist, a good one, and not just a blogger but is it that crazy to ask just to make sure? like I said before, he answered the question with no problem. If he wasnt offended by it, why is everyone else? (not saying you persoanlly are offended). It goes with the old saying, the only dumb question is the one you DONT ask.
Agreed. Fair question, asked and answered.

GrumpyFan

All I see is Disney taking what a bunch of their existing technologies - Photopass, KTTW, FP & Dining and just integrating them all and putting them in one spot. I don't see that as groundbreaking.

But as a driver of revenue and attendance? Nope. And doesnt really go towards the two problems Disney identified at the top of the article as the source of non-returning guests: long lines and high prices.

I agree with you on the integration of the existing technologies being the "innovation" that came out of this, and it's not exactly groundbreaking. However, I might argue that the issue of high prices wasn't really part of the problem they were trying to address. It just happened to be one of the identified pain points for returning guests, along with long lines and other things, all contributing to a perceived guest satisfaction level being pretty low. It's been discussed before, but those satisfaction levels are tied to many things, one of which this project zeroed in on was the desire to ride or see specific attractions. For many guests, when they are unable to experience those desired attractions, it lowers their satisfaction significantly. I can't tell you how many times I've seen comments here on the boards about someone's trip being ruined because such-and-such attraction was down for their trip. So, in the end, the solution they came up with didn't directly address high prices nor long lines, but it gives the guest the perception or feeling that they got their money's worth because they were able to experience the specific attraction they wanted, even if nothing else really changed, including higher prices.

You're right that it doesn't drive revenue, directly, but it does drive the simple-minded, first time or infrequent guest perception, which in turn drives revenue. Long(er) lines, higher prices? Why do they care, if guests are happy and coming back, then as far as they can tell, the project was a success!

JediMasterMatt

I also believe you can likely read and interpret the story in a number of ways, especially certain quotes, which is what we're basically seeing play out in this thread. You might read Staggs' quotes one way; I can assure you a lot of folks read them a different way.

@AustinC - if you don't mind my asking, why did you select WDWMagic as a launch point for your story? Granted, the obvious Disney Park fan community connection; but, why in particular this site?

If I were to interpret as an outsider looking in, you seemed to be ready to respond to Spirit's replies, which in my interpretation, makes me wonder if you had at least a precursory awareness of @WDW1974's thoughts and insight into the topic of MM+ and the resort in general. Your responses to him have at least shown a form of respect that I wouldn't think a true outsider without any foreknowledge of this site would have. Was there something unique about WDWMagic and its fan community that drew your attention here before/during/or after your article was in motion? Were some of the sources in your article pointing you this direction?

Another few questions if I may be so bold... you did a great job in the article about discussing the internal dynamics within DIS during the MM+ project. There was much insight into the various voices at play within the organization from Iger down to the unnamed front line Cast Members. One side of the story that seemed to be lost is the Guests. You really were the only outside voice in the narrative. It's this side of the story that seems lost in my opinion. Is that why you chose to come here with your article? Perhaps there is a good companion piece on the table on if DIS hit the mark with this project with their target audiences?

On a second read through last night, the article does contain a bit more resignation in the success or failure of the MM+ project, at least in my interpretation (especially of Staggs' quotes).

If there isn't a follow-up piece in the works, do you care to share your interpretation on if the Walt Disney Company was successful in their goals with MM+ of improving guests "intent to return" and bridging the gap to the forthcoming "smartphone/social media relevance" apocalypse?

Thanks again for stopping by with this article and hanging around. It's not often we get to have a civilized discussion with someone from the outside. We're all pretty harmless around here as long as you don't have your mind blown away by @ParentsOf4's charts, graphs, and metrics.

gmajew

We were there the first week in March...DH wanted to try changing things up, changing the fastpasses and dinner reservations. Couldn't get what we wanted. I'm glad you had a different experience. Days the parks close early, I feel cause different experiences.

The only place they didn't require seeing the actual cards for discounts was Germany, and we were dutifully wearing the DVC and annual passholder "charms", and had our phones.

::Shrug:: Different experiences. We go down 3 times a year, and this isn't keeping us away. I guess the ability to open your room door with it is neat.

Anyway...I guess I got off topic but still am not seeing the new amazing things created. As @PhotoDave219 said, it's a compilation of things already in existence.

The only fix for being able to get or change a reservation while on a trip to Disney is to go in slow time which is almost non existent now.

If you want to eat in one of the better restaurants you have to plan ahead. That is normal for every town you go to these days. Sure you may get squeezed in if someone no shows but if you call the best a few hours prior to your reservation and say I need to move my party 2 hours later they are going to say I am sorry we can not do that.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

I see that as a necessary infrastructure expense and something that in 2015, you should be able to do.

Since you do not want to give your definition of groundbreaking we will go with Webster's.

Adj. 1. groundbreaking - being or producing something like nothing done or experienced or created before; "stylistically innovative works"; "innovative members of the artistic community"; "a mind so innovational, so original"

Last time I checked Disney was the first theme park to integrate all of these existing technologies into one unified system controlled by a smart phone app and accessed by and RFID bracelet.

That meets Webster's definition making it safe to call it groundbreaking.

Is MM infrastructure that should have been done? Absofreakingloutley. I have been saying that since day one. It also happens to be, by definition, groundbreaking infrastructure, just like the first concrete highway was groundbreaking in 1909 or the first traffic light was in 1914.

Is MM a revue driver? Not much, but a little. The system does have a potential for directly making money with the sale of bands, band accessories, etc. Certainly not enough to pay off the investment, but it does take a bit of the sting out of the price tag. I also have little doubt that this was used to sway more than a few naysayers.

The real value of MM is just like any other infrastructure project. Somewhat indirect. It will allow Disney to make much more efficient use of the parks. The data collected will most likely allow them to better market products, improve traffic jams, etc.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
But you do get that just because someone writes something doesn't automatically make it so, right? (in general, not this situation specifically).
Very true, but in the same light, if someone in the company tells you something, that doesn't automatically make it true, either. Does it? ;) Do you really know what kind of agenda that person or persons has? Maybe they have a dislike for Iger and Staggs like you do, so would want to present information in as bad a light as they can. Can you even admit that this is possible? Would you admit that in this forum that maybe, just maybe, your sources, just like those in the article, might have an agenda of their own?

Something that I asked earlier of you that was not answered as of yet. WDW desperately needed the wired and wireless infrastructure upgrades that were done over the last few years. It also needed to change out ALL of it's POS CC swipers due to the new federal law going into affect later this year. If you don't know what that means, here is a short synopsis. Right now, if someone steals your CC and then purchases an item at a store, the CC company eats any charges. The store gets off scot free with no hassle. Starting in October, the cards that you use will have to be what the rest of the world has been using for years - chip and pin instead of magnetic tape on the back. What happens then if the merchant has not upgraded their terminals to accept the chip and pin card, if your card is stolen and used at that store, the STORE has to eat the fraudulent charges, not the CC company as is the current setup. Anyway, that swap out was inevitable, as was the wireless access for tens of thousands of guests in the parks. My feeling is that NONE of that money should be counted towards MM+, since they had to spend all of it anyway. I would argue that swapping all of the door locks also comes under that heading, since we were using the KTTW cards to tap into our rooms long before we got MBs. So that cost should not be included either.

When you take all of that into account, it is very likely that JUST the MM+ program was only just over a billion as they have been saying. The rest of those infrastructure upgrades and equipment swaps could easily have cost close to another billion, and there you have the just over $2 billion dollars you claim was spent just on MM+.

Not true. But again, I love how people here (many who live on a certain forum board that I am not on ) know what I am thinking.

See, I could say that you're just happy you found someone has written a story that backs up your World views, so you are happy regardless of the story's merit. But I am not in your head ... (or am I?)

But you know what I am thinking? Well, maybe you do, maybe you don't. I am thinking that not everything that they have done at WDW is good, but I also believe that quite a bit of what they have done over the last 5 years or so is very good, even if it takes them 3 times longer than it should to build something. I don't like that Avatarland is taking so long to build. I don't like that Star Wars land hasn't even been announced, much less construction started. I don't like that the Imagination Pavilion is a shell of what it once was. I think the Wonders of Life building should have multiple attractions built into it again, instead of being a Festival Center. I could go on and on.

However, I do think that the NFL and the Dumbo areas are done very well. I think the tent waiting system was genius on their part, even if you don't like it. I like the new hub as well, and don't think it is a concrete wasteland, and I have no problem with the grassy areas that people are now relaxing on. It's a PARK, and parks have grassy areas that you can sit on. I think that Main Street has never looked better with all of the refurbishments. I think the new Star Tours is awesome. I'm glad they finally removed the hat, and hope that a giant stage doesn't go in front of it. I like what they are doing with Disney Springs. You keep complaining that they are "walmarting" WDW, and now that they are bringing in many unique shops and stores, you still seem to be complaining. Oh, and yes, I do like the MM+ program and the MBs. I have no problem with wearing them along with my watch, and they do make certain things easier. I love that I can now go down to the pool, swim, relax, and get a refreshing beverage, all while bringing nothing but my MB with me, and not have to worry about it getting stolen.

Oh, and we do know a few things that you are thinking, just in the manner and content of your posts. You have pretty much denigrated every new attraction/area that Disney has worked on for the last several years. I don't even want to talk about what you think of the Casey Jr. Splash 'n Soak Station. Since you don't seem to have children, I wonder how you can speak badly of an area that you will never even use? It's is quite obvious that you have a serious hatred for Iger/Staggs/Rasulo, and who knows how many others at Disney Corporate. Well, maybe hatred is too strong a word, but your posts sure do come across to us readers that way.

And are you in my head? Hmm, maybe. I actually look forward to your news and views, even if I disagree with some of them, and even if it has been taken over by your HuffPo piece and Shanghai lately. And NO, I do NOT think censorship of any kind is a good thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom