My Review of the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train

lunchbox1175

So I got a chance to ride it three times this weekend, twice during the 24 hour event and once on Monday.

My first observations were that the queue is really nice, the fans helped with the heat, and it is fairly shaded which was nice as well. I also noticed that the line tends to bog down a bit at the interactive stuff, but it wasn't too bad, and tended to go in spurts where people that were playing with the stuff and it was slow, then you would get thru a bunch of people that weren't and it would go quicker.

In true Disney fashion, they have neglected to consider the plus size guest. I know I'm a big guy and need to lose some weight, but I literally could not bring the lap bar down, as I had my knees pressed together so tight and squeezed in between the bars of the lap bar that it would not move. They asked me if I wanted to ride by myself and I laughed, as seeing as how they are bucket style seats, I would then have been sitting squarely on the ridge between the seats.....sounds comfy doesn't it. Fortunately the lap bar isn't really that necessary.

Now, lets talk about Fastpass....on Friday at the 24 hour event, the line was backed up all the way past the Tea Cups, and they said it was 60 minutes, I realized that all of the queue inside was not open, but it only took 35 minutes from that point. On Monday, they said the wait was 60 minutes, and we entered right at the entrance. They had the entire queue in effect utilizing all the ropes this time, but the big difference was fast pass, it actually took the 65 minutes because they had to keep stopping to let fast pass people on, once again proving that fast pass is the devil and makes things worse.

Overall, it was a fun ride, when riding from the last car on the train...(we did this twice, and once from the front car)...if you have a child that is nervous, I recommend the front car, as it is a vastly different experience. I liked the different areas on the track where they accelerated the trains to shoot them forward a bit, and the turns and drop were fun. In my opinion, it is a fast pass only ride for us, the queue is fun and everyone should see it once, but I wouldn't wait more than 30 minutes to ride it.

Disneyfamily4

A cast member told my kids on our last trip, that the ride is for kids who are getting a little too big for the Barnstormer, yet not brave enough for Big Thunder Mountain yet. He also said it was made for the family to enjoy together, being a lot of adults do not go on the Barnstormer with their children and then go on BTM without their children. When the cast member found out my kids have been on BTM a thousand times, he then told them they will like the Mine Train, but it will not be to exciting for them, being they have experienced BTM so much.

Tobe

In true Disney fashion, they have neglected to consider the plus size guest. I know I'm a big guy and need to lose some weight, but I literally could not bring the lap bar down, as I had my knees pressed together so tight and squeezed in between the bars of the lap bar that it would not move. They asked me if I wanted to ride by myself and I laughed, as seeing as how they are bucket style seats, I would then have been sitting squarely on the ridge between the seats.....sounds comfy doesn't it. Fortunately the lap bar isn't really that necessary.

Not meaning to be indelicate and feel free to ignore this if you want but how big of a guy are you? I have already heard this complaint from some people and am a bit worried about how well I am going to fit in the ride next fall when we go. Have been very much looking forward to this new ride and am hoping I can fit my fat butt in it!

For comparison purposes - I am 6 ft. and fluctuate between 260 to 275 lbs. I have never really had much trouble fitting into any rides at WDW although the teacups can be a little snug for my legs. Haven't done the barnstormer in years (no small kids anymore) so not sure how that would compare.

lunchbox1175

Not meaning to be indelicate and feel free to ignore this if you want but how big of a guy are you? I have already heard this complaint from some people and am a bit worried about how well I am going to fit in the ride next fall when we go. Have been very much looking forward to this new ride and am hoping I can fit my fat butt in it!

For comparison purposes - I am 6 ft. and fluctuate between 260 to 275 lbs. I have never really had much trouble fitting into any rides at WDW although the teacups can be a little snug for my legs. Haven't done the barnstormer in years (no small kids anymore) so not sure how that would compare.
No worries...I'm 6' 2" and currently am in the 315 to 320 range, I have issues on a few rides, Splash being the worst as my knees hit the front of the row the entire ride....used to have issues on Pirates until they got the new boats, now don't have any issues at all on there, and unless I am in the front of the car on Space, it is really uncomfortable.

lunchbox1175

What is the average wait time, does anybody know?
Hard to say right now.....when they didn't have fastpass available the other night, they were saying it was 60 minutes, but it was only 35, I believe they were putting a bit of a buffer in since there were bound to be handicap and other situations that they hadn't covered in the cast member previews. When they added fastpasses on Monday, it was a legit 60-70 minutes pretty much most of the day.

Tobe

No worries...I'm 6' 2" and currently am in the 315 to 320 range, I have issues on a few rides, Splash being the worst as my knees hit the front of the row the entire ride....used to have issues on Pirates until they got the new boats, now don't have any issues at all on there, and unless I am in the front of the car on Space, it is really uncomfortable.

Thanks for the response. Good information. It may be a bit tight but I should fit. Like you, I have more problems with my legs being scrunched up on some of the rides. And don't get me stared on the leg room on planes.

My review is tainted as I only waited for 30 min during EMH this past Monday at 3 a.m. IMHO this is not a thrill ride. The special effects were very nice & it is likely the best of the dark rides. My 12 year old DS thought it was amazing. He said it was his favorite in MK. He & his 14 yr old friend were singing Hi Ho the remainder of the night.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Not sure if this is the right forum, but I had to give my thoughts on the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.

I was just there over the Memorial Day weekend and lucky enough to ride the Mine Train a couple times.

First of all, the Mine Train must be judged as an attraction for kids. It's not never going to seem great if you aren't impressed with the "thrill" factor. It simply can't have the thrills of an Everest or RnR because it's first and foremost a ride for families. Also, the length of the ride is an issue but I believe the space was pretty well utilized for what imagineers had to work with.

First of all, the queuing area is straight up annoying. The "game" section where the gems float by on touch screens is an absolute nightmare. The line stalls for incredibly long periods at this juncture. Kids simply jump out of line and run to the games. Parents don't manage this well and even get involved in the games too much. I never will understand this...is it really that fun? I couldn't care less about playing silly games like that.

The water section is a disaster for kids running outside the line to play and flick water on their parents, siblings, and of course, all the guests around. It also makes the line slippery.

The barrels with gems inside that can be spun around to project dwarf images on the ceiling are equally annoying. Same issues as before.

The line needs a single rider section.

Spoiler alert:

Outside, the structure is incredibly detailed and beautifully landscaped. It flows with the rest of Fantasyland and is a great addition to complete the expansion. It truly looks complete.

The ride itself is beautiful. The theming is straight up on point. The detail is incredible. I like the mix of inside and outside elements. The dwarf shadows are well executed and the music and sound effects are outstanding. This attraction is all about the detail, theming, and audio animatronic dwarfs. It's amazing how real they look.

The thrill factor is slightly better than Barnstormer, but not much. Not even as intense and Thunder Mountain.

The innovative "swinging" cars were a disappointment. I guess it depends on rider weight, seating location, and other factors, but I really didn't even feel much effect. The coaster is extremely smooth, however. It's almost silent as it rolls along the track.

The ride is frankly too short. It needs one more lift and show scene. I found myself saying, "That's it?"

The end is well done and the witch looks great. It does feel rushed and slightly like an afterthought with odd placement. I think it would be nicer inside with more substance.

Overall, it's a solid B+ but criticizing it too much is just not fair. Most people criticizing it have not even experienced it yet! It's easily the best ride in Fantasyland and was never meant to be a thrill ride. Yes, it should be longer. Yes, the queue area has its issues, but I believe those can be solved with cast member intervention. I'll never downgrade a ride too much because of length. What is there is really good.

Overall, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train captivates your imagination and executes its purpose of being an immersive attraction for the whole family.

Anyone else ride it have similar thoughts about the ride itself and queue area? Those who haven't ridden it, are you already disappointed?

I think the games, pointless quite frankly, impede the flow of the standby line and actually make the wait longer than it should be. And create a traffic jam the way the line snakes around them. Am also in agreement about the barrels - spun them and didn't realize that anything projected on the ceiling - was waiting for something to happen with the barrels themselves.

Agree the ride is beautiful. Just wish it was longer. But Disney is billing it as a family coaster, so it needs to be okay for kids.

Was disappointed that the car didn't swing as much as it looked like it should - but that again may be the family roller coaster design. We were in the first car, so I wonder if the last would have more swing, like the last in BTMRR or the last row in Star Tours....

lunchbox1175

I think the games, pointless quite frankly, impede the flow of the standby line and actually make the wait longer than it should be. And create a traffic jam the way the line snakes around them. Am also in agreement about the barrels - spun them and didn't realize that anything projected on the ceiling - was waiting for something to happen with the barrels themselves.

Agree the ride is beautiful. Just wish it was longer. But Disney is billing it as a family coaster, so it needs to be okay for kids.

Was disappointed that the car didn't swing as much as it looked like it should - but that again may be the family roller coaster design. We were in the first car, so I wonder if the last would have more swing, like the last in BTMRR or the last row in Star Tours....
It felt like it swung a little more from the last car, but not like a crazy amount more, definitely a ride best enjoyed from the last car.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
It felt like it swung a little more from the last car, but not like a crazy amount more, definitely a ride best enjoyed from the last car.

That was our thought also, but the line was crazy long during the 24 hour period, so we didn't try a 2nd ride.

seahawk7

What is the average wait time, does anybody know?
We just rode it for the 3rd time since May 23rd and we waited an average of 30 minutes with the posted standby wait time being 70 minutes all three times. The queue moves fast and has a lot of high powered fans. It is also faster at night-it got our tummies a bit.

MikeTaylorSound

I have to agree that the outside of the ride is phenomenal. It is very quiet and the hoots and hollers from the riders are well-pronounced more-so than the track. I watched the updates before our trip and saw the progress through to the soft openings... the grass and lanterns... it just gels with the walkpath around Beast's castle. It puts the Barnstormer to shame. It makes it seem kitschy in comparison and you'd think it would need a transplant to Dinoland USA.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I can confirm the line does move pretty well. I was pleased that it felt like you were moving almost the entire time. The line could still use a single rider option and fast pass seems to get 100% preference over the regular line. Although I like that when I have one, I think they could regulate Fastpass+ riders so they don't walk right on.

hth1917

I rode The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train this morning. Posted wait was 120 minutes, but it was actually more like an hour. My verdict: I loved it. A beautiful queue (except for the lame gem-sorting game) and an outstanding attraction, easily the best thing added to the Magic Kingdom since Splash Mountain, and vastly superior to the dud that is Journey of the Little Mermaid. The coaster parts are smooth as silk, and strike me as a milder version of Expedition Everest. The big show scene in the mine is lovely, with very lifelike animatronic Dwarfs. It's also a much-needed people eater that should help thin out crowds in the rest of the park for a while.

Having said all that, why did it take four years to build? Universal would have knocked this out in six months start to finish. And it's a shame we had to lose both 20K and Snow White to get it.

WDWLover#1

I rode The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train this morning. Posted wait was 120 minutes, but it was actually more like an hour. My verdict: I loved it. A beautiful queue (except for the lame gem-sorting game) and an outstanding attraction, easily the best thing added to the Magic Kingdom since Splash Mountain, and vastly superior to the dud that is Journey of the Little Mermaid. The coaster parts are smooth as silk, and strike me as a milder version of Expedition Everest. The big show scene in the mine is lovely, with very lifelike animatronic Dwarfs. It's also a much-needed people eater that should help thin out crowds in the rest of the park for a while.

Having said all that, why did it take four years to build? Universal would have knocked this out in six months start to finish. And it's a shame we had to lose both 20K and Snow White to get it.
I would recommend to listen to this to get a backstory over why it took so long. It's really interesting:

We rode it the 29Th, they day after official open. It was down A LOT. Magic hours in the morning, everyone raced to get in line to hear it would be down for an indeterminate amount of time. CM said to go ahead and get in line for other things and utilize the magic hour because the Mine Train was probably not coming up any time soon.
It was hit and miss all day long. We finally decided to get in line about 9:30pm. The line was about an hour and a half. I have to say I really, really dislike the interactive line games. We watched 3 different kids get left behind by their families as the line moved. Not to mention, the line is already long, this just made it worse.

It is indeed a kids ride, don't expect anything more. The track is extremely smooth, the swinging cars weren't noticeable as far as my ride went. We didn't even know it was happening. Overall, not extremely impressed. When the new wears off and it runs properly and the crowds wear down, it will be a nice kids ride.

rhino4evr

So wait...you're upset that kids want to play games...and oh my gosh! Have fun? While waiting in line for a family oriented coaster? Heaven for bid you enjoy yourself while at a theme park. You had to wait an extra 2 mins? Oh my you poor thing.

tdpolo26

Just a thought but why can't disney build in a bonus room....u know aRea that is blank space in the ride that they can add into at a later date....make more sense to me if they r going to be cheap...plus the games area could have been done like dumbo....where u wait for a while to get into a game room then you get called to wait again lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom