My Review of the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Not sure if this is the right forum, but I had to give my thoughts on the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.

I was just there over the Memorial Day weekend and lucky enough to ride the Mine Train a couple times.

First of all, the Mine Train must be judged as an attraction for kids. It's not never going to seem great if you aren't impressed with the "thrill" factor. It simply can't have the thrills of an Everest or RnR because it's first and foremost a ride for families. Also, the length of the ride is an issue but I believe the space was pretty well utilized for what imagineers had to work with.

First of all, the queuing area is straight up annoying. The "game" section where the gems float by on touch screens is an absolute nightmare. The line stalls for incredibly long periods at this juncture. Kids simply jump out of line and run to the games. Parents don't manage this well and even get involved in the games too much. I never will understand this...is it really that fun? I couldn't care less about playing silly games like that.

The water section is a disaster for kids running outside the line to play and flick water on their parents, siblings, and of course, all the guests around. It also makes the line slippery.

The barrels with gems inside that can be spun around to project dwarf images on the ceiling are equally annoying. Same issues as before.

The line needs a single rider section.

Spoiler alert:

Outside, the structure is incredibly detailed and beautifully landscaped. It flows with the rest of Fantasyland and is a great addition to complete the expansion. It truly looks complete.

The ride itself is beautiful. The theming is straight up on point. The detail is incredible. I like the mix of inside and outside elements. The dwarf shadows are well executed and the music and sound effects are outstanding. This attraction is all about the detail, theming, and audio animatronic dwarfs. It's amazing how real they look.

The thrill factor is slightly better than Barnstormer, but not much. Not even as intense and Thunder Mountain.

The innovative "swinging" cars were a disappointment. I guess it depends on rider weight, seating location, and other factors, but I really didn't even feel much effect. The coaster is extremely smooth, however. It's almost silent as it rolls along the track.

The ride is frankly too short. It needs one more lift and show scene. I found myself saying, "That's it?"

The end is well done and the witch looks great. It does feel rushed and slightly like an afterthought with odd placement. I think it would be nicer inside with more substance.

Overall, it's a solid B+ but criticizing it too much is just not fair. Most people criticizing it have not even experienced it yet! It's easily the best ride in Fantasyland and was never meant to be a thrill ride. Yes, it should be longer. Yes, the queue area has its issues, but I believe those can be solved with cast member intervention. I'll never downgrade a ride too much because of length. What is there is really good.

Overall, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train captivates your imagination and executes its purpose of being an immersive attraction for the whole family.

Anyone else ride it have similar thoughts about the ride itself and queue area? Those who haven't ridden it, are you already disappointed?

Clamman73

I'm trying to see this about the games and the queue line on some videos...So the regular standby line does not pass alongside the games??? You have to literally step out from where the regular line is roped off to access them?

DisneyPrincess5

If you stop in a queue to play games, and you don't appear to be making an immediate effort to stop playing and get back in line, you get passed (at least that's my rule).
Ours too.

I'd imagine the whole idea of these seemingly annoying games is to keep kids occupied when it's a 2 hour wait. I never agreed with this, much like I never agreed with DVD players in car back seats. Wait with the rest of us, like we all did as kids. Create a game as a family. Talk. Enjoy. Builds character and creativity.

Nice critique-can't wait to ride it in a few months.

Tom

Beta Return
Not sure if this is the right forum, but I had to give my thoughts on the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.

I was just there over the Memorial Day weekend and lucky enough to ride the Mine Train a couple times.

First of all, the Mine Train must be judged as an attraction for kids. It's not never going to seem great if you aren't impressed with the "thrill" factor. It simply can't have the thrills of an Everest or RnR because it's first and foremost a ride for families. Also, the length of the ride is an issue but I believe the space was pretty well utilized for what imagineers had to work with.

First of all, the queuing area is straight up annoying. The "game" section where the gems float by on touch screens is an absolute nightmare. The line stalls for incredibly long periods at this juncture. Kids simply jump out of line and run to the games. Parents don't manage this well and even get involved in the games too much. I never will understand this...is it really that fun? I couldn't care less about playing silly games like that.

The water section is a disaster for kids running outside the line to play and flick water on their parents, siblings, and of course, all the guests around. It also makes the line slippery.

The barrels with gems inside that can be spun around to project dwarf images on the ceiling are equally annoying. Same issues as before.

Spoiler alert:

Outside, the structure is incredibly detailed and beautifully landscaped. It flows with the rest of Fantasyland and is a great addition to complete the expansion. It truly looks complete.

The ride itself is beautiful. The theming is straight up on point. The detail is incredible. I like the mix of inside and outside elements. The dwarf shadows are well executed and the music and sound effects are outstanding. This attraction is all about the detail, theming, and audio animatronic dwarfs. It's amazing how real they look.

The thrill factor is slightly better than Barnstormer, but not much. Not even as intense and Thunder Mountain.

The innovative "swinging" cars were a disappointment. I guess it depends on rider weight, seating location, and other factors, but I really didn't even feel much effect. The coaster is extremely smooth, however. It's almost silent as it rolls along the track.

The ride is frankly too short. It needs one more lift and show scene. I found myself saying, "That's it?"

The end is well done and the witch looks great. It does feel rushed and slightly like an afterthought with odd placement. I think it would be nicer inside with more substance.

Overall, it's a solid B+ but criticizing it too much is just not fair. Most people criticizing it have not even experienced it yet! It's easily the best ride in Fantasyland and was never meant to be a thrill ride. Yes, it should be longer. Yes, the queue area has its issues, but I believe those can be solved with cast member intervention. I'll never downgrade a ride too much because of length. What is there is really good.

Overall, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train captivates your imagination and executes its purpose of being an immersive attraction for the whole family.

Anyone else ride it have similar thoughts about the ride itself and queue area? Those who haven't ridden it, are you already disappointed?

I'm happy to read reports like this, which emphasize that they did well with the important aspects of the attraction. It looks nice, and is a fitting ride for families as a whole.

Games, in my opinion, are not a critical component, and therefor if they are "sub par" it doesn't bother me. On the flip side, if they are so tacky that they deter from the overall experience (and in my opinion, merely from having seen the videos, these are), it's discouraging.

As for the length of the ride, I believe it was going to be longer until they slashed the budget (par for course). There's room for more track, and I believe there was going to be a third lift/drop (I'd need to dig up Lee's early sketches).

BuddyThomas

Honestly, the ride is about what I was expecting. The line sounds more annoying than expected. That stuff described the OP would drive me crazy.

Haven't been on yet but have seen videos and I have one question:

Spoiler Alert in

Why does the witch appear at the end of the ride, knocking on the door when they are all dancing? As a good friend of mine says for many situations, "That's not what happens!"

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Honestly, the ride is about what I was expecting. The line sounds more annoying than expected. That stuff described the OP would drive me crazy.

Haven't been on yet but have seen videos and I have one question:

Spoiler Alert in

Why does the witch appear at the end of the ride, knocking on the door when they are all dancing? As a good friend of mine says for many situations, "That's not what happens!"
I found this somewhat strange but chalked it up to creative license by imagineers.

Anyone have a better answer?

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I'm happy to read reports like this, which emphasize that they did well with the important aspects of the attraction. It looks nice, and is a fitting ride for families as a whole.

Games, in my opinion, are not a critical component, and therefor if they are "sub par" it doesn't bother me. On the flip side, if they are so tacky that they deter from the overall experience (and in my opinion, merely from having seen the videos, these are), it's discouraging.

As for the length of the ride, I believe it was going to be longer until they slashed the budget (par for course). There's room for more track, and I believe there was going to be a third lift/drop (I'd need to dig up Lee's early sketches).
I would love to know the backstory on cutting the ride down. It does seem short but it's not ruined by any means. Id love to know what the ride cost to build and how much was cut.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Ours too.

I'd imagine the whole idea of these seemingly annoying games is to keep kids occupied when it's a 2 hour wait. I never agreed with this, much like I never agreed with DVD players in car back seats. Wait with the rest of us, like we all did as kids. Create a game as a family. Talk. Enjoy. Builds character and creativity.

Nice critique-can't wait to ride it in a few months.
I agree with you completely. Plus, the game area is only good for 1-2 minutes if done properly. When it's a 90 minute wait, did it really make the wait much easier? I truly don't understand it.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I'm trying to see this about the games and the queue line on some videos...So the regular standby line does not pass alongside the games??? You have to literally step out from where the regular line is roped off to access them?
Let me clear this up. The games are inside the regular queue. What I meant to say by running outside the line, I meant to say they run away from their spot in line to go play the game. They see the games and run by 30 people and stay there for 15 minutes playing the game.

I even had a guy ask me to save his spot while he went and yanked his kid away from the games. I thought, control your kids better...I don't have to save anything for you.

seahawk7

Spoiler alert:

seahawk7

We rode it today for the soft opening and on the 23rd. It is a little too short. The queue moved pretty quickly for us and we were given a 50 minute wait and got on in 25 minutes. We didn't see any kids get out of line to play games, but knowing how that can happen, I guess we got lucky. My issue is that Snow White is featured very little in the ride. Now I know the subject is the Dwarves mine train, but I want to see Snow White. I would have been satisfied with the original ride staying open and this new ride being added to Fantasyland. But then again, I'm hardly impartial when it comes to Snow White...

geefehrsuhn

The line sounds more annoying than expected.
5g.jpg

Uncle Remus

The ride doesn't tell the story of Snow and the Queen. It's about the Dwarves. Showing the witch at the end was a nice touch I thought. We all know what happens in the story. Dropping us in the middle of it is kind of cool.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Cost...a lot. Ballpark $80millionish, last I heard.
Cut...a lot. About 40% or so, I'd say.
It's just sad a ride that will presumably be there 30 years as the crowned jewel of new Fantasyland had to be less than it could have been over $50m or so. I know it's a lot of money but frankly, Disney can afford to go all out in these situations. My only regret is knowing it could be more. Nonetheless, it's still a great ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom