My First Trip Report

I’ve never written a trip report before, but I figured since I caused all kinds of commotion last week with my *special gathering post*, I should at least report what happened.

Wednesday – June 4th

I left my house at 8:05am and was on the tram heading into MGM at 11:00am. I can’t recommend the Annual Pass enough. It just makes everything so much simpler, especially if you stay on property.

I decided my MGM trip this year would be my ‘Stop Being A Wus’ tour. I was going to ride both ToT and RNRC. So, my first stop was to fastpass RNRC and head over to ToT. It was only a 20 minute wait, which is much better than I was expecting for a summer trip.

Some of you have seen my posts on MGM in the past, and I stand by my statements that this is the least Disney of the four parks. The layout and the execution are just not up to par, IMHO. That being said, I was very impressed with the theming and the detail of ToT. It was an excellent experience, much better than I expected it to be. As for the actual ride, I got one of the cars that have seatbelts and no handrails. I also got stuck in the front row. I have to say I really enjoyed it. As you can tell by my avatar, I’m a thin guy, and the seatbelt didn’t really fit snugly, so I left my seat every time the elevator dropped. ;) What surprised me is how short the ride was. I guess that’s why people get right back in line when they get off this ride.

On a side note, there has been a lot of vitriol about gay days on this web site in the last couple of weeks, the main point seeming to be: “Why do you need a special day?” While waiting in line for ToT, a guy behind me asked me about fastpass, so I explained to him how it works and gave him some of the strategies I use to cut down on wait times. I was answering a question about groups or something when his son, who looked to be about 13, pipes up with “What a bunch of queers!” So, on my first ride, on the first day of my trip, this is what I get. I gave the son a look, stopped talking to the dad, turned around and tried to pretend they didn’t exist.

I can’t explain to you how much this kind of offhand comment hurts. Verbal gay bashing is the only form of discrimination that people can still get away with. You would never be in line at Disney and hear “What a bunch of ni**ers!” And that, boys and girls, is why I enjoy gay days so much. It’s much harder to make comments about a group of people who outnumber you.

On to RNRC! I didn’t realize until I was in line that this ride actually goes upside down. I almost turned around and left, but decided to give a try. You only live once, right? The theming was excellent, and I was smiling until I got up to the cars and saw how fast the coaster takes off. Again, I almost turned around, but decided to tough it out. So I get loaded into the car (second row, of course. I keep getting stuck up front on rides that scare me!), wait a couple of minutes, and the we’re told to get back out of the car for some reason. After reading some of the posts about RNRC that last couple of weeks and all the problems they seem to be having with it, I thought I might not get to ride it after all. However, after a couple of minutes they loaded us on to another car, and off we went. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it (you never would have guessed from the picture, which showed me gritting my teeth and hanging on for dear life)! Again, being on the thin side, the harness wasn’t all that snug, and I left my seat a couple of times. And again, I was surprised how short the ride was.

So, having conquered my fears, I just started wandering around, killing some time until check in at Caribbean Beach. I rode Star Tours, which I always enjoy, and then headed over to Muppet Vision. Since I wasn’t in a rush, I really got to pay attention to the theming of this attraction, and I have to say some of it is quite brilliant. Again, a favorite that I always enjoy.

From there, I did the Backlot Tour. I don’t know if it was because it wasn’t all that busy, but the pre-show showing some of the effects from Pearl Harbor was not playing. I actually found that to be an improvement, as the wait time was almost nothing. I have to say I like the little stunt show with people in the audience getting drenched on the boat. The poor guy in the engine room obviously didn’t know what was coming, and his reaction was priceless. As for the ride itself, I still like the Catastrophe Canyon part, but the props along the way are starting to look a little tired.

I was going to do the GMR, but a CM told me the rehab wouldn’t be complete until Sunday, so I had to skip it. I did the One Man’s Dream show. I’m glad they kept that after the 100 YoM celebration ended. It’s nice to hear his story in his own words, even if it’s a little startling to see him doing the voice of Mickey.

From there I got in line at the Disney Animation attraction, and walked past the point in line where it said ’30 minute wait from this point’. So, I waited 30 minutes, got right up to the point of entry, and was told I would have to wait for the next show. L I was a little ticked, so I got out of line and went to Sounds Dangerous. I have to admit I’m not a Drew Carrey (sp?) fan, but I enjoy this attraction. The sound system in there is awesome.

It was now about 3:30 and the storm clouds were moving in. As those of you who live in Florida know, in the summertime it rains almost every day sometime between 3 and 4 pm. So, I decided to head to the hotel and check in. Right after I got on the tram it started sprinkling, and by the time I got to my car it was pouring. I could complain, but what would be the point?

Just a quick note about Caribbean Beach: It’s absolutely beautiful. The grounds and the buildings were immaculate, and there were ducks and rabbits and turtles all over the place. The theming is outstanding, especially the beaches and the food court area. The rooms themselves are standard Disney fair: a rectangular room with two beds, a TV, two sinks and a shower. Comfy. And CLEAN!

After dinner and a nap (and locking myself out of my room when the rain let up and I went to get my stuff out of the car), I headed off to PI. Some of you are aware that during this week there are circuit parties and other events, but kids on drugs is just not my scene, so I don’t go to those events. In fact, since I quit smoking last year, my only vice now is beer!

The night started off at the Comedy Warehouse. I ran into RPM at the bus stop (he was staying at Caribbean also), and we went in together. I was a little disappointed that MKT didn’t show up. I was really looking forward to meeting him. The show, as always, was great. It’s a great way to start off of a night of fun. In fact, I went to PI all four nights and started each one at the Comedy Warehouse. It was a different show each night, with different actors and even a different keyboard player each night. Quite simply, the comedians there are amazing.

From there, it was on to 8-Trax, where I ran into some friends and pretty much camped there for the rest of the night. I really like this place. Friendly bartenders and DJ’s, great theming and great music. Just a lot of fun.

I’ll post day 2 later…

GaryT977

Original Poster
Day 4 – June 7th

No tours today! Today was the ‘Day of Magic’, so I was off to the Magic Kingdom. I was hoping there might be an early opening for MK for guests on property, but I found a letter on my table when I got back from Epcot yesterday. The letter said that WDW was expecting large crowds at MK on Saturday, and they offered early openings at two other parks (I think MGM and AK, but I’m not sure). This seemed to me to be a really classy way to handle things.

So, at 9am I was on the ferryboat to MK (the monorail lines were already huge). I wasn’t sure what kind of crowds there would be. I had talked to quite a few people who said they were either going to another park or were going to the circuit parties only, mainly because of how large the crowds were last year.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I enjoy going to the parks by myself instead of with other people because I can do what I like without having to run it past a committee. This was going to be put to the test today, because I would be meeting some friends a little later (who I woke up with a cell call on the boat) and someone else I met at PI who had kind of invited himself along. He seemed nice enough, and he had an English accent, which I love, so what could be the harm?

On the ride to the entrance to MK, the returning ferry had Chip and Dale on deck, waving at us. I really like the way Disney has aggressively sprinkled the characters throughout all the parks. They always put a smile on my face. Where else would you be able to see them?

Arriving at the entrance to MK, it was immediately apparent that it was not going to be as crowded last year. Great! I didn’t get to ride Space Mountain last year because there was an instant 60 minute wait and I waited too long to get a fastpass. Guess which ride I headed to first?

Before that, however, I had to meet the guy from PI. I’m not going to use his name, because I told him about this site and I don’t want to embarrass him. He was waiting for me as I got off the ferry. He asked what I wanted to do first, and I took charge of things. He’d only been to MK once, and I’ve been at least a dozen times, so he was happy to let me lead.

Off to Space Mountain! But first, an observation. The MK was as immaculate and as pretty as it is every time I go. I know it takes a Herculean effort to keep the park looking that nice, and I just wanted to acknowledge it. Now if they could only train the MGM staff on how to keep a park clean.

It was already a 15 minute wait, so I got right in line. I took a quick look around to see the number of red shirts around me, and it had to be upwards of 60%. Excellent.

My luck seemed to be holding, as I got to sit up front for the first time ever! It’s a different ride when you can see what’s coming at you. Now, this is going to sound cowardly, but a sneaking, evil little thought popped into my head about the guy that sued Disney a while back, claiming he got hit on the head by something while riding Space Mountain. The thought was only there for a micro second, but it did give me a little chill. Still, I enjoyed it. After the ride, we ended up chatting with some guys from Canada. It’s nice to be able to make small talk with people without worrying what’s going to come out of their mouths.

Now, if I were on my own, I would have immediately headed over to the Splash Mountain/Thunder Mountain area, fastpassed one and then ridden the other. However, I didn’t was to drag my PI buddy all over the park, so instead we fastpassed the Buzz Lightyear ride and headed to Alien Encounter.

The line for AE was small, and to my surprise would remain small most of the day. Last year the queue went around the building and out again. I was left wondering where everyone was.

One of my favorite parts of this attraction is the robot voiced by Tim Curry that does the teleportation demonstration. For some reason, the robots’ eyes weren’t working. You wouldn’t think that would make much of a difference, but it did. This little hitch was a sign of things to come. However, I still love it when Skippy is about to be teleported a 2nd time and says “Uh Oh”. I learned from the PI guy that Australians don’t like to be called ‘Skippy’, a fact that I planned to try out later on a friend of mine.

From there it was on to Buzz Lightyear. I don’t know if I’ve said this yet or enough, but I truly love the fastpass system. If you work it right you don’t have to wait and you get that secret thrill of walking past all the people in line. I always want to pull a ‘Mr. Bean’ and start waving my pass in the air with a goofy look on my face as I walk past.

This attraction, tho. Everyone complains about Dinorama at AK, but to me Buzz Lightyear is every bit as tacky. You can’t really tell what you’re shooting at, and it just seems hokey. In fact, the only fun I got out of it was whirling the PI guy around for about five minutes before he figured out I was the one doing it. Considering what AK did with a Pixar franchise at AK, you would think that the imagineers would have been able to come up with something better. Then again, maybe this attraction wasn’t meant for someone my age.

From there we headed to Winnie the Pooh. I should mention that at this point my PI buddy is starting to annoy me, just a little bit. I don’t know if he thought he was being clever or cute, saying things like “Oh, I’m scared” and complaining about the heat and whining about other stuff, but it was starting to bother me. While I might find something amusing once, repetition can drive me to distraction.

We arrived at Winnie the Pooh to find it closed for rehab. Dammit! I love the Winnie the Pooh ride! Didn’t it open just last year? Sigh. Something else for the PI guy to complain about.

So, we decided to fastpass Peter Pan and head to It’s A Small World. I’ve been on this ride fourteen billion times, and I still enjoy it, although I couldn’t get DarthDarrel and his Evil Doll Brigade Thingy out of my head the whole time. ;)

According to my (getting more annoying) PI buddy, the depiction of London in Peter Pan was pretty accurate. I had never noticed that the cars on the streets were moving before. Or maybe I did and forgot about it. It sucks to get old. Neat effect, tho, and still a great ride.

After exiting this ride, I got a call from my late arriving buddies from Fort Lauderdale, and we were able to find each other pretty quickly. Once again, since I had the most MK experience, they deferred to me. We headed toward the Haunted Mansion so we could fastpass it and head to Pirates of the Caribbean.

After we got the fastpass, we decided to ride the Dixie Landing Steamboats, since none of them had ridden it before. One of the crew came out and warned people (in a LOUD voice) that this was a 20 minute ride with no bathrooms, so if you have to go, you have to go NOW!

I always enjoy the steamboat ride. I love the detail of the cabins and the boat itself, and I love the different angle views of the park. I also loved watching my buddies pointing out things on the shore like a bunch of kids.

From there we headed over to PoC (after I explained, according to the Keys to the Kingdom tour I took in December, that we were walking in what was a representation of a Colonial era sewage line), to discover that the ride was not working. Uh oh.

As we started to turn around and head back to HM, the CM making the announcement stopped talking, turned around to get a signal from another CM, and let us in. Shortest wait in line, EVER!! The only weird thing was that the drop was in total darkness. We didn’t warn our (annoying) PI guy about it, and even I was startled a little bit. Didn’t there used to be a light there? I’m always amazed at the level of detail in this ride, and I always see something I haven’t seen before. A true testament to the vision of Walt.

Time for HM, but first, a quick note on the crowds. Nowhere near as crowded as last year. At least, I haven’t found them yet.

We get to HM, and it’s not working. Are you sensing a pattern here? It seems I used up all of my luck on the first three days of my trip. We decided to head over to the Splash Mountain/Thunder Mountain area and formulate a new strategy.

Well! Here’s where the crowds are! I suggested we fastpass Thunder Mountain and get in line for Splash Mountain. The wait for SM was already 60 minutes, and with the day as hot as it was, it was only going to get longer. The wait for TM was out into the sun, and I swore I would not get sunburned like last year. On this one, I get over-ruled. One of my friends doesn’t like roller coasters (but he’s willing to do SM!), and the other two don’t want to stand in line.

Sigh

We decided to fastpass TM and head over to Jungle Cruise. Now we are carrying fastpasses for HM and for TM. My friend who won’t ride a coaster offered to do a little shopping when we came back to ride it.

The wait for Jungle Cruise was about 30 minutes, so we got to go through the whole queue. I really got to pay attention to some of the detailed theming, and since it was turning into a really hot day, there wasn’t a whole lot of chatter, so I was able to hear the radio announcements. Some of them are laugh out loud funny!

Do you remember when I said earlier that I almost wanted to pull a ‘Mr. Bean’ and wave my ticket around? Well, some guy comes traipsing through the fastpass line, yelling “Fastpass, coming through!” Someone in line yells back “A**hole, coming through!”

I’m glad I never waived my ticket around.

IMHO, the enjoyment level of JC goes up or down depending on the guide and how much enthusiasm they are willing to put into it. This is one of the campiest rides in all of WDW, after all. Unfortunately, the guide we got was very serene, and just not very funny.

Before we headed back to TM, we decided to see if HM was back up and running yet. Success! Our fastpass was still good, so we went right up front. I really like way the cm’s on this attraction are allowed to be just the tiniest bit rude. They can be just as much fun as the ride itself.

Right as we were about to get on board, the ride stopped again. Dammit! We were patient (a very difficult task for me), however, and after about 10 minutes, things started moving again. I got to point out a few hidden Mickeys to the (annoying) PI guy, and notice a few little things I’d missed before. It just isn’t a trip to MK without going to HM!

At this point in the day, PI guy is starting to annoy my friends as well. One of them actually had to tell him it was okay to shut up for a couple of minutes. It was hot and some really ominous clouds were moving in, so we decided to fastpass SM and ride TM before the afternoon monsoon hit. The wait at SM is now 75 minutes, and the fastpass time is 4:15, over three hours away. :(

My friend heads off to shop, and the rest of us head up to TM. Just as we’re reaching the shaded area, we notice the fastpass line is just as long as the stand-by line, and neither line is moving. Uh oh. An announcement is made that TM is experiencing technical difficulties, but I have a feeling it has more to do with that nasty storm moving in. We decided to wait a few minutes to see if we could get as lucky as we did at PoC, but eventually a cm came and asked us to leave.

At this point, we’re starting to tire just a bit. The (annoying) PI guy decided to head back to his hotel, and everyone else decided to join my other friend and go shopping and maybe get a good seat for the parade. I’ve never been a big parade guy, so I decided to see if I could hang around long enough to ride SM.

I headed over to the Tiki Room. I had only seen the revamped show once, and from what I remembered, I enjoyed it. It startled me to hear Phil Hartman’s voice coming out of one of the pre-show birds. I had forgotten about that part of the show, and his voice always puts a smile on my face (Hi, I’m Troy McClure!). It also saddens me that his life was cut so short in the manner that it was.

The show itself was cute, although it was hard to differentiate the thunder inside from the thunder outside. I had forgotten how many animatronics were in the show! It’s impossible to see them all. The most impressive to me was the Tiki goddess. A nice diversion while dodging the rain.

From there I went through the Swiss Family Robinson treehouse, where I ran through the remaining batteries in my camera taking pictures. So many things to look at! I love things like the working water thingy. I’m curious by nature, and I love seeing exposed things like that working.

Am I talking too much? Just smack me if I am. And speaking of smacking, I did see a couple of guys I wanted to smack upside the head. 98.9% of the red shirts in the park were dressed appropriately, but I saw two guys wearing little black leather shorts with their a**es hanging out, a few inappropriate t-shirts here and there, some tiaras, and one ridiculous looking drag queen (Why they let her/him/it in the park is beyond me). Guess who’s going to be shown on the news when this event is covered by the press?

The lines were being set up for the parade, so I decided to try and sneak across Main Street and head back to Tomorrowland (after I purchased a Nemo and Dory toy for my niece). I almost forgot to ride the TTA! I was able to get across Main Street and ran into my friends on the way to TTA. We were able to ride it together, which was nice. I love going through Space Mountain and seeing the coaster from the outside.

After TTA, I decided to head over to TM and see if it was running again, since the rain had stopped and it was obvious I wasn’t going to be able to hold out for SM. My friends headed over to Alien Encounter. We made plans to meet for the 9:15 show at the Comedy Warehouse.

TM was indeed running again, and I was able to get on almost immediately. I like this coaster. While it’s not the fastest, I like all the twists and sharp turns. I also love spotting the old guy in the tub is his underwear (no comments, please).

After TM, I was exhausted and ready to head back to the hotel. Since I took the ferry over, I decided to take the monorail back. I also decided to try out one of the things I learned from this site, and ask if I could sit up front. I had to wait for the next one, but I got to sit up front with a British guy and his cute kids. The driver handed the kids a co-pilot card. Of course, I had to have one too. ;)

It was really interesting. I always thought there wasn’t a lot of driving involved in the operating these things, but I was wrong. I was also amazed to see the windshield shaking and bouncing! It’s not glass, but plastic, and it’s not tinted, either. As large as that piece of plastic is, it must take some serious A/C to keep that cabin cool. The driver explained they can’t be tinted because they have to operate it at night as well.

I asked him about the new control screen, and he said it had only been installed on Monorail Yellow, although he had gotten to see it. I asked him what the benefits were, and he said they were able to remove about 100 pounds worth of cables, and the new screen has a security key. In theory, if someone was able to get into a monorail cabin in it’s current form and put it in gear, all the doors would close regardless of who or what was in the doorway. Scary!

Coming soon, the Bus Ride to PI Adventure…

GaryT977

Original Poster
Wow! No responses to my last post. I hope someone is still reading them. They take hours to write. :lookaroun

GaryT977

Original Poster
Day 4 – June 7th (Continued)

After I got back to Caribbean Beach, I went to the food court to grab some dinner (fast food again), and then to the gift shop to pick up some things I got at PI for my Mom. She turned 60 on the 6th, and can be very sensitive about the gifts she gets, so I didn’t want to just grab something off a shelf and wrap it in Disney wrapping paper. After searching for a couple of days, I found a Lenox Tinkerbell Charm Box. It was absolutely beautiful, and it even came with a little Tinkerbell charm!

I also found a (young) Elvis coffee mug at PI. Considering that my Mom loves all things Lenox and Elvis, I hoped this might make up for my missing her birthday party.

The sales girl at PI told me that they didn’t gift-wrap, but I could probably get it done at the hotel. So, I asked the girl at the gift shop they could indeed gift-wrap. She asked me when I was checking out and told me she would try to get it done before I left. I had no sooner returned to my room when the phone started ringing. It was the sales girl, and my gifts were wrapped and ready. There wasn’t even a charge for the gift-wrapping!

I wanted to include this little story because it demonstrates to me how far Disney cm’s will go above and beyond the call of duty to keep their guests happy.

BTW – My Mom LOVED the gifts!

After a short nap, I got ready to head out to PI for one last night of fun. I’d been saving my “I See Drunk People” shirt (a play on the ‘I See Dead People’ line from The Sixth Sense, if you didn’t get it) just for tonight. I usually get a great reaction when I wear it.

So, I headed off to the bus stop in a really great mood. I got there right at 8:00, and right as a bus to Downtown Disney was pulling out. I was meeting friends for the 9:15 show at the Comedy Warehouse (yes, again. Can you ever have too much of a good thing?), and the buses were supposed to come every 20 minutes. I had plenty of time.

I thought.

The buses were coming pretty regularly, but none were for DD. As I was waiting, patiently, for my bus, a young family came into the bus stop and sat down on a bench beside me. One of their little girls obviously has a cold or something, because she can’t stop coughing. Nasty sounding cough, too. At one point, she got up and paced back and forth in front of me, coughing away. I kept turning my head to avoid her, as she was pretty close to me, but she just kept pacing.

After she finally returned to her bench and sat down next to her Dad, I looked at the woman seated to my left. We looked at each other with a kind of ‘What the h*ll?’ expression on our faces. Weird.

At this point, it’s 8:20 and I’m starting to get a little anxious. I haven’t had to wait this long for a bus yet, and I don’t want to miss the show, or my friends. There had already been at least two buses each for MK, AK and Epcot.

I was trying my best to be patient and not grab the phone to the front desk. I just sat there and tried not to let myself get worked up. I knew that when the bus finally did show up, it was going to have to hit all the other CB stops (the one I was at was first in the loop), and then would stop at the Markeplace before finally getting to PI.

8:30 comes and goes, and no sign of the DD bus. I’m starting to get worked up.

8:40 comes, and here comes a bus! To Epcot.

Now I’m on the phone to the front desk, trying to find out what’s going on. It takes a couple minutes to get through and explain my situation. As the person on the phone puts me on hold to try and get an answer, TWO DD buses show up.

One of them is completely full, and the other is mostly empty. I got on the empty one. I don’t know if I thought that a lighter bus would go faster or what, but it seemed like th right choice. As soon as I sat down, I got a call from my friends asking where I was. I was not optimistic at this point.

It turns out that I got on the bus driven by The World’s Slowest Bus Driver. I watched the bus in front of us vanish with growing dismay. We slowly lumber from stop to stop. The woman I was sitting next to at the bus stop was saying helpful things like “I don’t think you’re gonna make it”. To be fair, she was nice enough, and I don’t think she was trying to be mean, but it sure didn’t do much to stop the feeling of panic rising up inside.

We arrive at the Marketplace at 9:05. The show starts at 9:15. I now have a choice. I can stay on the bus and hope The World’s Slowest Bus Driver can get to PI in the next five minutes, or I can run for it on tired legs.

I decided to run for it. I put my crowd dodging, running through a slight rain on flat shoes (Vans) skills to the ultimate test, as the Marketplace was packed!

I got to the entrance I had been using for the past three nights, behind the Jazz club. Locked. I had to go back out and around the front. Fortunately, there wasn’t a long line to get in, and I had my annual pass and ID ready as I got there.

I put my annual pass through the reader.

Access denied!

I tried it three more times, and I got the same response each time. Right as I was about to scream, the girl checking ID’s told me to come on in, they were just having system problems. I got my wristband and ran off to the Comedy Warehouse.

I got there at 9:13. I was able to get in line and find my friends just before the doors opened to let us in. At that point, I REALLY needed a beer.

Once again, the show was fantastic, and the crowd was really into it. By the end of the show, my mood had broken, and I was having a great time. Did I tell you my favorite thing in this bar? They have lots of neat things tacked up on the walls, but favorite is the giant golf ball with train tracks around it. ;)

After the show, we went to 8 Trax for a few beers, but it wasn’t really busy yet, so we headed over to the Adventurer’s Club. I’ve always thought it was a neat place, with lots of really cool things to look at, but I’d never stayed too long because there was no music. I like music with my beer. The only show I‘d ever seen was in the mask room, which was cute.

We arrived just in time to catch a show in the Library room. What a revelation! The room itself was amazing. I loved the organ that had fallen through from the second floor. And the show itself was an absolute riot! I could suddenly see why people are so devoted to AC. I’m going to have to spend a lot more time there in December.

From there, it was back and forth between 8 Trax and Mannequins, with a side trip to Motions. It seems that once 8 Trax and Mannequins start to fill up, all the straight kids head to Motions. I guess they have to go somewhere! ;)

Since I didn’t have to get up early, I stayed fairly late and stumbled back to my room around 1:30, exhausted. What a great trip!

Coming tomorrow, one last task before heading home…

surfsupdon

I am SO happy that you had a great time at Caribbean Beach. It is my absolute favorite place to stay for all the reasons you mentioned and all the memories I have. I love it when people ahve as much fun as me, it gets me excited, even though I really do not know you at all!! haha.

And on that note, even though I am relatively new on this site, I enjoy the "company" here and really wish I could meet up with some "post-ers" on a Disney trip!!!! It sounds really cool! I wont be at the official meet, I'll be there later in the month...maybe if I talk loud enough someone will overhear me and recognize me, haha.

Fun trip report, gotta love CB!

surfsupdon

Originally posted by GaryT977
Wow! No responses to my last post. I hope someone is still reading them. They take hours to write. :lookaroun

Ohhh, I am reading and enjoying them. Where in Carib Beach where you, did I miss it or did you not mention? Sorry bud.

GaryT977

Original Poster
Originally posted by surfsupdon
Ohhh, I am reading and enjoying them. Where in Carib Beach where you, did I miss it or did you not mention? Sorry bud.

I was in Jamaica, and I have to agree with you. My last two hotels were CB and Port Orleans Riverside, and they were both amazing.

surfsupdon

EXCELLENT!! Jamaica is beautiful, the yellows and pastel blues are so soothing and pretty. Great location too, Ive stayed at Jamaica and ARUBA.

Also, POR was a great moderate as well, I stayed there when it was Dixie Landings, and did have a great time, the themeing beautiful again. I juts missed the palm trees and lushness that are availabe at Car Beach....

RickEff

:sohappy: :sohappy:

Excellent report, Gary! Thanks so much. It's like I was there! I didn't want to keep posting and interrupting your trip report, but I sure was reading it!

Rick

careship

I too have been so caught up in your reports I haven't wanted to post til it was complete. You have a great knack for making us feel like we're there with you. Thanks for the great report. Eagerly awaiting the rest.

misskat

loving the trip report, really getting me excited for my trip in July. I'm so glad they have put the fastpass system in (it wasnt there my last/only/first trip) sounds like it makes life a lot easier!

look forward to reading more :)

GaryT977

Original Poster
Day 5 – Sunday, June 8th

When I was at MGM earlier in the week, one of the cm’s told me that The Great Movie Ride would be re-opening today. I had seen a couple of threads on this site saying there was a new script, close to what’s done on Jungle Cruise, so I decided to check it out before driving home.

First, I had to check out of Caribbean Beach. I had opted for the fast check out option when I checked in, and I found my hotel bill hanging on my door when I woke up. Easy!

In fact, I tried an experiment on this trip. Instead of paying cash for meals and charging gifts and souvenirs on my (Disney Visa) credit card, I put everything except beer at PI on my room card. At the end of the trip, I had an itemized bill for everything I had bought and done, and only one credit card charge.

One other note: I mentioned earlier that I ran down my camera batteries at MK the day before. I decided not to buy new ones and to pack my camera. I couldn’t take pictures on TGMR, so why would I need it?

I arrived at the entrance to MGM about five minutes before it opened. It was a Star Wars Weekend day! I heard the soundtrack blasting out of the speakers, which always makes me smile, and saw all kinds of people wearing Star Wars paraphernalia heading in.

There were stormtroopers on top of the entrance! Brilliant! The costumes looked real, at least as real as science fiction can get. Then the music stopped, and the stormtroopers started talking to each other. They were pointing at guests and making comments about the ‘weird humans’. Very, very well done.

The gates opened and I headed to TGMR. The building was being painted (or cleaned?) when I was there on Wednesday, and looked brand new. Same went for the inside of the building.

I got on the ride and was told I was part of the first group to see the revamped show. I was sitting behind two cm’s who work the ride but were off. They couldn’t wait until their shifts the next day. It’s nice to see that kind of excitement.

The ride itself wasn’t changed, as far as I could tell, although everything seemed to be cleaner and brighter than during my December visit. The sound also seemed to be pumped up, which was good.

As far as the new script goes, I can’t tell you exactly what changed, but it seemed shorter and tighter. My only complaint is the scene where we get caught in a gang war. The sound was really loud (which I don’t mind, but the cm’s in front of me put their fingers in their ears), and I couldn’t hear the verbal exchange between our tour guide and the robber. What’s the point of a new script if you can’t hear what’s being said?

In fact, I had a hard time hearing our guide during this ride, and I was only six or seven rows back. Maybe Disney should consider giving the cm’s wireless headphones and/or cranking the volume of the ride vehicles to match the volume of the scenes in the attraction. That being said, the parts I could hear were cute, but they weren’t very Jungle Cruise-ish.

The end movie wasn’t changed, as far as I could tell, but all the screens were lined up this time, so it looked great, and I really like that movie the way it is.

So, with that done, my trip was complete, and I headed back to the entrance. As I approached, one of the stormtroopers (I wonder how long they had to stay up there?) noticed me heading toward the exit, raised his blaster and slowly pointed it right at me!

And my camera was packed in my car!

DAMMIT!

Now, I’ve ripped MGM before, but I have to give credit where credit is due. I walked out of that park grinning from ear to ear.

That’s it! Once again, Gay Days was an absolute blast, and I’ll be back again next year (with a December trip in between. I can’t wait that long to ride Mission: Space). Thanks for reading all of this. I haven’t written in a while, and I forgot how much I enjoy it, even if the posts are ridiculously long. ;)

surfsupdon

Im glad you liked MGM too. I used to not enjoy the park, but it is now a favorite of mine and a never, ever miss on any vacation. The ambiance and the CA theming are what I like.

And I, too, cannot wait to ride MS in December!

careship

Applause.....applause!!!! I was grinning ear from ear too just from reading your reports. Thanks for such detail and knowing just what we Disneyaholics needed to know. Well written and wonderful, thanks so much.

:wave: I enjoyed reading your whole trip report. It sounded like a great time overall. I am planning for a December trip too and I can't wait!:animwink:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom