My fear

eliza61nyc

lol yeah they say that about chondrotin with glucosamine also, yet I know hundreds of us arthritis suffers who get relief from it.
sorry I put more faith in some of the old remedies than the pill pushing doctors.

mdcpr

Every year, I buy plane tickets to Orlando in order to avoid a 16 hour drive. Every year, as my trip date draws closer, I talk myself out of flying, and into driving. It's not the fear of flying. It's the fear of getting sick (cold/flu), having been on a plane, sitting by strangers, during flu season (October) who may or may not be sick. If I don't use the tickets I purchased this year, I'll have thrown away $1100 in airfare over the last two years, so I ask to those of you that fly to Orlando, how often are you getting sick after flying???
I fly A LOT, for work and for pleasure. I've never gotten sick from being on a plane. I've actually gotten sick during a trip (NOTE to self: Never eat unidentified meat in the outskirts of Barcelona, nor iguanas in the street of Mexico). What you can do is prepare your immune system by taking tons of Vitamin C--either the straight pills, or Airborne. You can also use a face mask, which is not that weird because if someone asks you why you have one, you can always say you recently had dental surgery and they'll leave you alone. You can do this!!!!

OG Runner

I have never gotten sick, flying from either Manchester, NH or Boston, MA. (about a 2 hour flight). The last 4 times down, I have run the Marathon within a few days of traveling to Florida. You can always take some of the precautions already described. Honestly, I think you are more likely to get sick spending 16 hours in a car. :D

Spookie2018

Original Poster
I fly A LOT, for work and for pleasure. I've never gotten sick from being on a plane. I've actually gotten sick during a trip

My guess is that you did get sick on the plane. The incubation period is what caused the sickness to rear its ugly head during the trip.

Spookie2018

Original Poster
I have never gotten sick, flying from either Manchester, NH or Boston, MA. (about a 2 hour flight). The last 4 times down, I have run the Marathon within a few days of traveling to Florida. You can always take some of the precautions already described. Honestly, I think you are more likely to get sick spending 16 hours in a car. :D

I view the car as a contained environment. As long as my wife and I are not sick, we are better off than trapped in a plane with sick strangers.

mdcpr

My guess is that you did get sick on the plane. The incubation period is what caused the sickness to rear its ugly head during the trip.
No, it was the food. I felt sick after a couple of bites of whatever animal I was eating. My family has really strong genes, but I'm the one with the sensitive stomach.

The Empress Lilly

I was felled with crippling diseases for 2-4 weeks twice in the past two years after returning from WDW. Both were really too much, bed-ridden thinking I was done for. Not trying to fearmonger or speculate about causes, just the straight answer. Never really have that happen when flying from anywhere else.

Clamman73

Last trip the week before Thanksgiving I drove down from NY. Started feeling really off the whole time at Disney and even a couple times I almost didn’t go to the parks...the following week during Thanksgiving week I had a awful cold.
So you never know...this fall I’m flying.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
This thread now has me thinking and I've only gotten sick twice while on a vacation in my entire life.
Both times were at Disney.
Once my whole family got the flu.
Another time my sister and I both got terribly sick 2 hours after eating at Chef Mickey's (no shade. I still like CM).
BOTH TIMES THIS HAPPENED WE *****DROVE***** from the Buffalo NY area.

DisneyDoctor

lol yeah they say that about chondrotin with glucosamine also, yet I know hundreds of us arthritis suffers who get relief from it.
sorry I put more faith in some of the old remedies than the pill pushing doctors.
Sure, let's pretend placebo effect isn't a thing. You're usually more of a straight shooter, this fluff surprises me.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Sure, let's pretend placebo effect isn't a thing. You're usually more of a straight shooter, this fluff surprises me.

Yeah that article is all based on studies not absolute proof.
One study last week said one glass of red wine per day is amazing for you and this week omg you're gonna die!

In that article after the first study of taking Vit C at the onset there was another study showing it could help prevent.
That's more what people are doing with Vit C now a days is boosting their immune system so they don't get sick not really taking Vit C after they already are sick.

Last edited by a moderator:

KBLovedDisney

You could as easily get sick going to the grocery store. Don't worry so much about it. There have been times I got sick at or from Disney and we have always taken the car. It is just something that could happen, but you don't need to sweat it so much. If it happens, it happens. No biggie. I am with others though. Get your flu shot, drink water to stay hydrated, and maybe take a daily vitamin C of some sort.

Don't worry. Just go. Life will happen regardless.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom