My Biggest Test Track Fear

Rob562

Hello. The springs at the bottom of the shafts are there to literally absorb the fall of a ride car. Definitely a worse case scenerio. It sounds like it would be a smooth stop, but its still very jarring. There are many other safeties like redundant cabling and e-breaks. The e-breaks are similar to those on real elevators...in the event of a fall, the breaks clamp together on a metal pole running the length of the shaft, slowing and stopping the car from freefall.

Actually, they're not really springs, but more like pistons. A car hitting them at the bottom of the shaft would cause the hydraulic fluid in them to spurt out through a valve. Because the valve can only allow the fluid out at a certain rate, the car is slowed to a stop in a VERY short period of time. (It also leaves quite a mess at the bottom of the shaft with hydraulic fluid all over the place.)

Most hi-rise elevators have similar buffer-zone systems in place. In fact, if you watch the end of the opening credits in the movie "Speed", when the camera reaches the bottom of the elevator shaft you can see the buffers there (and the fact that they are there kinda negates the whole drama over the falling elevator anyway, if you know what they're for....)

In fact, S&S drop towers (like Maliboomer at DCA and Fearfall at IOA) use hydraulic buffers every cycle. They help bring the car to a gentle stop the last few feet as the car comes to a rest at the bottom. I'm sure they'd also act as a good emergency stop if needed.

-Rob

NadieMasK2

Original Poster
My fear woul dbe the car breaking off the track on the turn and the car flying off into Future World.

ps- noticed your from Zionsville-Indy here:wave:

:wave: Hiya neighbor! Thanks for adding to my phobia! :lol:

(ps we were both babies in 1971 too but I don't say that outloud!)

CleveRocks

:wave: Hiya neighbor! Thanks for adding to my phobia! :lol:
And of course you're going to be FLYING to Orlando, right?:eek:

The only time I was ever in any sort of in-flight emergency was on approach to Indianapolis. We had to circle the tower 4 times because the landing gear indicator light wasn't functioning properly. Most exciting (but ultimately uneventful) landing of my life.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Off topic, but we lost an engine on an L10-11 in `87 flying home and had an emmergency engine at JFK. We didn`t loose it literally (was still on the wing) but Tri Stars had a habit of engines falling off back then. At least we saw Long Island for free.

Back on topic, wasn`t there an incident in the ToTs early days of operation when the buffer zone did come into play? I recall several injuries from a malfunction in the drop shaft when guests were rescued from the VVC (no mean feat in Echo or Foxtrot)

CrashNet

Actually, they're not really springs, but more like pistons. A car hitting them at the bottom of the shaft would cause the hydraulic fluid in them to spurt out through a valve. Because the valve can only allow the fluid out at a certain rate, the car is slowed to a stop in a VERY short period of time. (It also leaves quite a mess at the bottom of the shaft with hydraulic fluid all over the place.)

Most hi-rise elevators have similar buffer-zone systems in place. In fact, if you watch the end of the opening credits in the movie "Speed", when the camera reaches the bottom of the elevator shaft you can see the buffers there (and the fact that they are there kinda negates the whole drama over the falling elevator anyway, if you know what they're for....)

In fact, S&S drop towers (like Maliboomer at DCA and Fearfall at IOA) use hydraulic buffers every cycle. They help bring the car to a gentle stop the last few feet as the car comes to a rest at the bottom. I'm sure they'd also act as a good emergency stop if needed.

-Rob
Yep your right Rob...bad choice of words on my part. I didn't think about the fact that when I said springs people would actually think of big twisted pieces of metal. Whoops. :lol:

Marni, yes, the pistons (thanks Rob for the clarification) have been used before many years ago. I'm not sure, but I believe they added even more safety features so they wouldn't have to use them again.

Speaking of, and I apologize if this is hijacking the thread, but does anyone know if ToT has a magnetic breaking system? Those are almost fail-proof.

kcnole

I've been to Epcot twice now since Test Track opened and haven't seen it functioning once yet. It's a bummer because it's the one ride there that I really really want to try.

art vandelay

i have thought about that, but i don't think it stops. if it does, it probably slows down. what about getting stuck in the heat room or the cold room. lol

Pabgo

I've been to Epcot twice now since Test Track opened and haven't seen it functioning once yet. It's a bummer because it's the one ride there that I really really want to try.

Wow. That sucks. I didn't realize you were from FWB! Hi neighbor! :wave:

Dagger

You're actually sort of enclosed...I don't like heights either but this ride isn't scary at all. My DH was scared on Space Mountain but Test Track is his favorite ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom