My Biggest Test Track Fear

Rosenrot

Ja, it definitely had a problem when we where there - in line, though. We thought it was a break-down, but soon after we saw a janitor go by with a mop and the works...

...so we think someone might have just gotten sick.

But it was still a delay - and a rather long one, I must add. As if the wait wasn't long enough...

CrashNet

There are many failsafes built into the massive software application that runs Test Track. They are sophisticated enough to measure the distance between two cars by less than an inch. They are also extremely sensitive, and if it detects one car slightly to close to another, it immediately slows all cars down, aka, the slow stop you may experience. Now keep in mind, these are real working vehicles with engines, and they do break down. If a serious error is detected, especially on the speed test, the cars will come to a stop instantly, or an e-stop. To put it simply, this stop is so fast the smoke keeps moving forward and the vehicle is behind it. The cars literally go from full speed to complete stop in less than 6 inches. However, it is very rare that this happens while in guest operation. Kindof like the springs at the bottom of the Tower of Terror shafts...rarely used, but there in a worse case scenario.

Now, someone else mentioned being afraid of the barrier test. There is actually a failsafe for that as well, and thats one of the things that will stop the ride. If the car gets too close and the doors still haven't opened, the vehicle will stop.

Very very sophisticated program...almost too sophisticated.

Keep in mind as well that the CMs have to keep the load/unload going to prevent a backup. If a guest is slow to get out, etc, cars back up, and the cars slow down.

Pabgo

I would guess that the barrier test wall is made out of something fairly soft, but I doubt the computer would ever fail to let you hit it

eroyee

:wave: 2 yrs. ago the ride stopped right in the middle of the 60 m.p.h. outside run on us. the sun was a little warm, but it was only about 5 mins. and we were on our way. It wasnt scary. It stopped immediately. Not a jerking motion. I am afraid of heights and didnt think a thing of it. Just go and enjoy. it stopped a couple times on us this yr. in Dec. but only for a few seconds. have fun. :sohappy:

disnyfan89

I would guess that the barrier test wall is made out of something fairly soft, but I doubt the computer would ever fail to let you hit it
From what I was told by one of the original engineers who worked on the ride the doors are made of Styrofoam and will break away if they fail to open. During testing they would have a stack of them backstage because they would fail to open on time.

maelstrom

Test Track broke down while I was on it once. It went VERY slow around the high speed loop, all the way back inside. It was very bad right in front of the building where it felt like its the steepest. But we lived through it and got to take another ride.

NadieMasK2

Original Poster
You guys are so funny! Thanks a lot, now not only do i have to worry about my question, but also about hot and cold rooms, doors not opening, being hit at 60 mph from behind, and the possibility of needing a spring cushion in ToT!

Yikes! :lol: :lol:

disnyfan89

You guys are so funny! Thanks a lot, now not only do i have to worry about my question, but also about hot and cold rooms, doors not opening, being hit at 60 mph from behind, and the possibility of needing a spring cushion in ToT!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Anything else we can do for you?:wave: :p

CrashNet

Whats that for?
Hello. The springs at the bottom of the shafts are there to literally absorb the fall of a ride car. Definitely a worse case scenerio. It sounds like it would be a smooth stop, but its still very jarring. There are many other safeties like redundant cabling and e-breaks. The e-breaks are similar to those on real elevators...in the event of a fall, the breaks clamp together on a metal pole running the length of the shaft, slowing and stopping the car from freefall.

jedimaster1227

It has happened to me twice. Both times, the engines in the cars burnt out and the car came coasting through the loop at a lower speed, but still stable enough to complete its run. The cars both stopped before the final descent (the heat seeking camera) and we sat there for a while until they came out to push the car down. It was pretty interesting to see CM's pushing the Test Track vehicles...

figmentmom

No, no, no, we're just giving you a hard time. You won't jolt to a sudden stop, you won't be rear-ended, you won't bake or freeze in the "test" sections...it's just the robots squirting that battery acid you have to look out for...:lookaroun

I'M KIDDING! :lol:

juan

the cars will come to a screeching halt for anytime the E-stop is pressed ----this is when a guest drops something at the loading station, tries to get back in the car, etc -- or sometimes when the cars come back on line after a breakdown (more often in the rain)
in a breakdown like this, usually calls for an evac and occurs in about 1 of 10 breakdowns

the cars will come to a slow stop when there is a non E-stop breakdown --- this sometimes to to electrical problems and other random things, but doesn't require an evac.

the car running through the paces at a very slow pace is the first car start up after a breakdown

wedway71

:eek: Somebody please put my mind at ease about this. I have heard about how often the ride breaks down. Has anyone ever broke down while on the fast loop outside? I think I would have serious heart failure if it broke down on a steep bank, high above everything (fear of heights).

I was holding my breath the whole time last trip asking the GM gods to please let me get through the outside part without a breakdown!

My fear woul dbe the car breaking off the track on the turn and the car flying off into Future World.

ps- noticed your from Zionsville-Indy here:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom