My beef with the resorts

disneymyway

I'll be bold and post a criticism - hopefully it will provoke an interesting discussion.

I really wish they would do things at the resorts a bit more like regular hotels.

I'd like a minibar. Trying to get a simple snack at the Beach Club after MNSSHP was ridiculous. I was reduced to a bag of doritos in the laundry room.

Why no pay per view? I mean, I know they don't want you staying in your room, but there are times that you just don't feel like going to sleep and everything is closed. At least have some more interesting tv channels.

On another board I read that you couldn't even get the baseball playoffs in your room at the resorts! That's just not right when you are paying all that money!

All the things that I would like are just things that would make money for WDW - why do you suppose they don't do them?

There's a hotel in NYC that I stay at and the rate is about $325 - sometimes more, sometimes less. If the WDW deluxes were run like that place it would be so wonderful! It has all the things I love and more - and impeccable service - never a screw up in 10 years I've been staying there.

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE WDW and the resorts are adorable and fun. I just think there is room for improvement here.

Do you agree?

copcarguyp71

I'll be bold and post a criticism - hopefully it will provoke an interesting discussion.

Why no pay per view? I mean, I know they don't want you staying in your room, but there are times that you just don't feel like going to sleep and everything is closed. At least have some more interesting tv channels.

I continue to be very surprised that they have little to no kids programming in-room. I would think that several age appropriate channels would not be out of the question. Lets say one for the pre-schoolers, one for the grade schoolers, one for the pre-teens and one for the teens. It would be nice if there was something for them to watch while we are trying to get showers or ready to get going in the AM.

And while I am on a rant...has anyone noticed that ABC Family has all sorts of shows on at early hours which are in my opinion way too objectionable for "family" viewing. I am no panty waist or tea totaller and at work the four letters fly left and right but these shows are NOT what I want to sit down and watch with my family at night!

Sorry if I drifted off topic but I was going with the TV theme.

Upvote 0

Eyorefan

I continue to be very surprised that they have little to no kids programming in-room. I would think that several age appropriate channels would not be out of the question. Lets say one for the pre-schoolers, one for the grade schoolers, one for the pre-teens and one for the teens. It would be nice if there was something for them to watch while we are trying to get showers or ready to get going in the AM.

And while I am on a rant...has anyone noticed that ABC Family has all sorts of shows on at early hours which are in my opinion way too objectionable for "family" viewing. I am no panty waist or tea totaller and at work the four letters fly left and right but these shows are NOT what I want to sit down and watch with my family at night!

Sorry if I drifted off topic but I was going with the TV theme.

Uhm... I don't understand your call for kid programing.

They have a whole chanel that plays nothing but Disney Cartoons. They also have the Disney channel which every tween I know is in love with.

It has always kept my DD entertained while got ready in the mornings.

Upvote 0

jhastings74

And if you don't mind that you're going to hell for drinking the Devil's tinkle-water, who am I to judge? :lol:

What I think would be at the very least a nice option is to be able to request a minibar. This way, it wouldn't be in the room unless it was requested, they can better insure that rooms full of under-21s won't have access to them, if WDW finds it necessary they can charge the room a deposit for the contents or the minibar itself that gets reimbursed on the guests' cards upon checkout...and then they can design unique minibars in keeping with the theme of each resort that they can sell online for a thousand dollars each (based on 17 dollars of raw materials and 3 hours of labor :D ) and Disney freaks wil buy them in droves!

"Devil's tinkle-water"...:ROFLOL:
Hoooooomigod...............that was AWESOME!!!! (tip of my cap.....*tip*)

I completely, totally agree. Make it optional. On the online reservation system, make it a little box you can select. Then at check-in, they can verify age, along with the ages of the others in your room, provide a key if necessary, etc. They can even give you a drop-down list of things to select that you would like inside of it. This may make extra work for our wonderful Mousekeepers, but somehow, I could see it working.

As far as pay-per-view (heehee...sorry...I'm still laughing about the 'Devil's tinkle-water'...), my wife and I have said for years that we were shocked they don't offer a pay-per-view selection of at least all the Disney titles that are currently available for sale to the public. And even BETTER would be offering ones no LONGER available. The heck with the kids...even I would pay to see a movie that I can't buy...(*cough, cough*...Song of the South...*cough, cough*...) But seriously, if local cable can do it, Disney can, too. For those who think it would be 'Un-Disney', they simply don't have to opt for it, ya know?

But I can think of at least ONE torrentially-rainy day that we were in the resort...and yup...there was that BAD Lifetime movie....lol:hurl:

Anyway, that's my $.02

Upvote 0

Susan Savia

We go into the parks at opening and leave at closing. Every day.
If we want snacks a quick drive to Walmart or Publix to restock, works. A few minutes of late night tv to check on news and next days weather and then bedtime...to get ready for the next day...

Next Trip - January 2009

It's like coming home again......

Upvote 0

hrcollectibles

Not everyone is a family with little kids though. I'm not going to watch tv when the parks are open, but when everything is closed, what do you do. We like to go to bed late - I think there should be more for people like us to do at night.

I am one of those that travel to the World with no kids. I mean you could go to Pleasure Island.. oh wait never mind that idea.. There always the Awesome Dan Hall ( please note my sarcasim).. I really wish they would have pay per view. Even if it were Disney movies.

Upvote 0

disneymyway

Original Poster
Well, when a man and woman love each other very much...and have an "understanding..." :lookaroun

Oh yeah, it's Friday.

Slappy, my husband is not that understanding...:eek:

(and I am the very definition of a jealous fishwife).:lol:

Wait, (addressing the whole group and not just Slappy here) I want to know about these kids who are getting into minibars. Are they stealing the key out of their parents' pants pockets after they go to sleep or something? Having 3:00 am cashew and gin and tonic parties?

Upvote 0

Missing20K

The gf and I were there in early January, parks closed at 9 most nights, and we never seemed to have much trouble finding something to do. One night we went to ESPN and was there until at least 1230 am and we weren't the last people to leave either. Another night we were at Raglan Road until last call, which was an early 120 if I recall correctly. Maybe we just got lucky.:shrug: The other nights we went to DTD for a couple hours, one night we were tired and went to bed, and another night we just stayed in and "enjoyed each others company":ROFLOL: However, we go to Disney with the understanding that we will want to strangle lots of unruly children, have to deal with the high pitched screams of said children, and just in general realize we are going to the one place on earth that children are given a "free run" of the place. That's the whole point of Disney, to entertain children and families. The gf and I understand this, and do our best to take it all in stride.

I try to keep it all relative. I understand when going to Disney that I will have to deal with lots and lots of children and families and I don't really have any room to complain about the screaming, crying, general unruliness. Just like parents (IMO) don't have any room to complain about the drinking, swearing, and debauchery that goes on at NFL games, sports bars, Las Vegas, etc.

2 cents.

Upvote 0

jhastings74

Wait, (addressing the whole group and not just Slappy here) I want to know about these kids who are getting into minibars. Are they stealing the key out of their parents' pants pockets after they go to sleep or something? Having 3:00 am cashew and gin and tonic parties?

If the kids have THAT much energy at that point then SOMEbody isn't doing the parks the right way with them and wearing them out!....although it would explain some kids' behavior during the day at the parks....

Upvote 0

disneymyway

Original Poster
I was just saying in a private message to someone - and I think it bears repeating - I hope no one thinks this is a huge deal for me. I just felt like starting a discussion.

Lots of times my daughter and I talk about what we'd do if we were in charge of WDW - once my daughter said she'd outlaw strollers - but that's another topic that would cause lively discussion - and for another day!

I'm going out now. I was doing some boring work at the computer today and you all helped me through it! Thanks for the conversation!!! :)

Upvote 0
WDW resort TV is like government owned TV. 2 channels, channel 1 has the Disney Info commercial and channel 2 says go back to channel 1 :ROFLOL:

I think the BC rents DVDs and supplies the players, it is probably all Disney movies but they have movies.

As far as the frig setup, We stock ours when we have a chance and it hasn't been a problem.

16 days until we have to suffer again:sohappy:

Upvote 0

dvitali

One item I like to see Disney offer to us is a free local newspaper or a copy of USA Today. I know some disney resort have newspaper boxes outside some of their food court but most morning most is gone by 7:30 a.m. And forget buying a sunday paper. Last visit I was at Disney I never knew that New England states was having a snow storm. Stepping off the plane in a wind breaker into two feet of snow was not fun.

(as a example of I like to see at Disney) When I was in Manila Phillippine I stay at a $70 dollar a night 5 star business hotel over looking Manila Bay. Every morning I have not only a english copy of a Manila newspaper but a short version of the USA Today deliver to my door. On Cable Televsion not only USA channels but Asia and Russia channels. (Manila channels mix USA shows on one Channel (Amazing Race and Donald Trump back to back). Mini bar,fresh fruit deliver to your room every day. Office center and free WIFI/Internet. Their Pay for View was a month behind ours (WWF pay for view that I saw a month before was offer free very late at night and watching the Super Bowl very early in their morning). Morning buffet and nightly sunset tropical buffet.

Upvote 0

krankenstein

This past July MK didn't close until 12. Around 11, the kids I were chaperoning started getting hungry, but all of the counter service restaurants at the park were already closed for some reason. So, we proceeded back to Pop around 11:30. It was around 11:45 when we actually made it back. Everything Pop was already closing down, a full 15 minutes early. We had to settle for bags of chips and Goofy's Candy Company for dinner. It was ridiculous.

I think the resorts should keep the food courts open until midnight or an hour after the latest park closure. If MK was to close at 12, the resort food court would be open until 1. If all the parks closed at 11 or earlier, the food courts would close at 12.

Don't even get me started on the internet situation. If it wasn't for my Moto Q, I would be lost. :lol:

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
No Master Yoda - you are not alone. You are there to enjoy a wonderful WDW vacation - kick back and enjoy the Magic of the Mouse. Is a mini bar that important? Maybe buy a snack when you get there so you have something in the room??? They have fridges. As for Pay Per View - you can get what ever kind you want in your own home. No need to bring anything like that to Disney.

The only thing that I can think of is the free internet - I love to look up the photopass photos when I get back to the room and can't wait until I get home to look at them. :)

And seriously... suffering?? With out a mini bar?? Maybe you would prefer to vacation somewhere else then. I have never associated the word "suffer" with a trip to WDW.

Upvote 0

Senderella

I think it'd be helpful to just keep the gift shops open 24 hrs. Late night, staff it with 1 person. You'd think they would considering (judging by just the WL's gift shop anyhow) they've got all sorts of groceries and medicine types of items. Emergencies happen in the middle of the night. Last trip I had an acid reflux attack. Drinking milk helps neutralize the acid and makes the back of my throat stop burning. We tried everything possible to get a small thing of milk and NOTHING. The next day we bought one and kept it in the fridge "just in case". I don't see anything wrong with keeping the gift shop open 24 hrs.

Plus there's things you can purchase in the gift shops "things to do". Granted, it may not be the best party time ever, but it's stuff to do. We usually come back from Downtown Disney when they've closed up and we're dead tired by the time we get back but I can see the frustration of not having anything to do and feeling like it's "lights out". We've usually just sit out on our balcony, down by the pool enjoying the quiet and calm, or we set up our portable DVD we've brought from home.

Upvote 0
WDW Resort TV is Awful. If any basic Motel 6 can have a typical cable lineup, Disney should too. If a sporting event happens to be on a Turner channel you are out of luck. All you get is the orlando local channels available over the air, the disney channels and promos (top 7, toon, abc fam, etc) ,all the ESPNs (owned by Disney) 2 Lifetimes (Owned by Disney), and not surprisingly ABC world news. I think the only non-disney of free channels are MSNBC and CNBC

Upvote 0

disneymyway

Original Poster
And seriously... suffering?? With out a mini bar?? Maybe you would prefer to vacation somewhere else then. I have never associated the word "suffer" with a trip to WDW.

I was making a joke. I don't really think little kids are having cashews and gin and tonic parties in the middle of the night either. No, I wouldn't prefer to vacation elsewhere, but thanks for the suggestion.

Upvote 0

pixiesteno

My husband and I do a good deal of traveling for our business to conventions and I have found myself for the majority of the places saying to him, "this hotel could take some tips from Disney!" For example, we were recently (9/08) at the The Grand Hotel in Ocean City MD for a weekend to find that the hotel restaurant was closed! Not closed after 11 or midnight, closed. We spent our weekend walking back and forth down the boardwalk just to have a meal. Not that I mind the exercise, mind you, its conditioning for the parks in Dec. But when you're shelling out in excess of $170 per night you really don't expect to have to walk 1/2 mile to a mile to go to another hotel to have breakfast. We spoke to the hotel manager on this and his reply was, "well, you were better off, we lease that restaurant and they're having problems."
Last week we were in the greater Chicago area and the convention was in a hotel that was under construction. The "dining room" was a tent outside, walked out of the elevator to go to the room and almost got run over by a mini backhoe scraping the old carpet off the floor outside of the elevator bank, drywall dust everywhere. I know that places have to update, but to schedule a conference in the middle of construction; just bad business decision IMOP. And what good is a big flat screen hi-def TV hooked up to 20 channels of analog signal?!
Last year we stayed at a supposedly "swank" golf resort in MD with a "swanky" price for a conference and the rooms were not clean and the chair in the room was more comfortable than the bed. And the staff was less than helpful.
Disney may not have wet bars and 110 channels on the TV but from my experience they have it all over many places at making you feel comfortable, customer service, convenience, dining... I could go on.
I can't wait until December .. .:xmas:

Upvote 0

disneymyway

Original Poster
My husband and I do a good deal of traveling for our business to conventions and I have found myself for the majority of the places saying to him, "this hotel could take some tips from Disney!" For example, we were recently (9/08) at the The Grand Hotel in Ocean City MD for a weekend to find that the hotel restaurant was closed! Not closed after 11 or midnight, closed. We spent our weekend walking back and forth down the boardwalk just to have a meal. Not that I mind the exercise, mind you, its conditioning for the parks in Dec. But when you're shelling out in excess of $170 per night you really don't expect to have to walk 1/2 mile to a mile to go to another hotel to have breakfast. We spoke to the hotel manager on this and his reply was, "well, you were better off, we lease that restaurant and they're having problems."
Last week we were in the greater Chicago area and the convention was in a hotel that was under construction. The "dining room" was a tent outside, walked out of the elevator to go to the room and almost got run over by a mini backhoe scraping the old carpet off the floor outside of the elevator bank, drywall dust everywhere. I know that places have to update, but to schedule a conference in the middle of construction; just bad business decision IMOP. And what good is a big flat screen hi-def TV hooked up to 20 channels of analog signal?!
Last year we stayed at a supposedly "swank" golf resort in MD with a "swanky" price for a conference and the rooms were not clean and the chair in the room was more comfortable than the bed. And the staff was less than helpful.
Disney may not have wet bars and 110 channels on the TV but from my experience they have it all over many places at making you feel comfortable, customer service, convenience, dining... I could go on.
I can't wait until December .. .:xmas:

You make some good points. I think this is why we keep going back to WDW. Like I said, the things I was whining about are more things that I would change if I were queen of WDW - but I do really appreciate the things they do well.

Upvote 0

copcarguyp71

Uhm... I don't understand your call for kid programing.

They have a whole chanel that plays nothing but Disney Cartoons. They also have the Disney channel which every tween I know is in love with.

It has always kept my DD entertained while got ready in the mornings.

There was no cartoon channel on our tv whe we were at the beach club last month and the disney channel does not always have age appropriate programming for whatever stage your kiddo might be at.

The only cartoon only channel I have experienced in our past two visits was on a TV in the lobby.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom