My Awful Universal/IOA Day :(

princessmelinda

Original Poster
I planned my Disney Trip approximately 6 months in advance, and decided to go to Universal on the Thursday of our trip. I believe it was three months after I had planned everything (including all Disney ADRs) that Universal came out with the grand opening date of Harry Potter, June 18. Just my luck we were going the 17th. Thinking that perhaps we would get lucky and maybe a soft-opening/regular-opening would occur, we just hoped for the best. So the day comes, we decide to head straight to Potter (because other people on the WWOHP thread said to go early), and they said it was closed for the day.....awesome. We decide to head to dragons challenge, "sorry folks, dragons challenge is not operating today"....awesome. We decided to head for spiderman, which was a short wait, then we went in line for the hulk. We waited approximatly 30 minutes when the announcement came on "we're currently having technical difficulties" probably five times. Many people in line left but we decided to wait it out. After waiting a total of an hour and a half, we finally made it on. Just as we got buckled in "we're currently having technical difficulties" REALLLYYY!?!?. We waited 10 more minutes while we were buckled in and finally we were then cleared to go and we enjoyed our ride. After, we decided to head for the jurassic park ride. That was a short wait, we went through the whole ride and just as we were getting ready to get off the boats, there were four boats in front of us just waiting there. We waited 10 minutes, just floating there, then we heard a guy who worked at the ride yell "sorry folks, we are experiencing technical difficulties, we should be getting you on your way shortly." Two workers had to manually release the lap-bars and hold every riders hand individually to step up onto the platform. At this point we were so done with everything we just wanted to leave. We went to universal and went on the mummy, rip-ride-rockit, and we went to head for men in black and ET, the lines were outside of the main queue, so we just decided to head out. We got to see the madagascar penguins (which was the highlight of the day......imagine). We ate at margarittaville and did some shopping, but overall I was VERY disappointed in universal. Considering a one day ticket is $110, we absolutely DID NOT get our moneys worth. I understand that the official opening day of WWOHP wasn't until the next day, but everything put together just made our day awful. It just made Disney look a billion times better though. Has anyone else experienced such an awful day as this?

maelstrom

I remember being at Universal on opening day. Jaws, Earthquake, King Kong, and Hanna-Barbera all had issues. That was fun. If you gave up your opening day pass, they issued a pass to come back another day.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I can sympathise we got stuck on Splash, BTMRR broke own as we boarded and the Haunted Mansion lost power all within 15 mins of each other. Nothing was working on that side of MK as the HoP wasnt open.

Still poo happens when technology is involved.

princessmelinda

Original Poster
so...you went expecting harry potter land to be open the day before it's actual erm... opening?

That wasn't the whole reason why my day was bad, like I said "I understand the WWOHP didnt open until the next day, but everything put together made the day awful." That was just an addition.

shipley731

This may just be me, but Universal seems to have more "bad luck" with technical problems that Disney does. I've been stuck temporarily on Disney rides, but I've never had to be evacuated off one. At Uni, I've been evacuated off of the Mummy, Jurassic Park (at the top, just before the drop. Lovely walk down 5 flights of stairs to get out.), the Cat in the Hat, and Jimmy Neutron.

I've got Annual Passes for both Disney & Universal and have had them for at least 8 years. I keep the Universal Passes so my husband can ride roller coasters. (I hate coasters & won't ride them. I'm going to try FJ when the crowds calm down & hope I don't die of a heart attack.) I'm more of a Disney fan.

JohnLocke

We went to USF in it's first year and nearly everything was broken the day we went. I think we ended up getting free tickets for a return visit.

MKCP 1985

I have had similar problems to those described. The worst was the Rip Ride Rockit coaster, and you didn't even mention the restaurants that close or fail to staff employees to take your order, but Universal fans seem to be very tolerant of breakdowns and tourists' wasted time, so you'll probably get little sympathy here from others.

The flip side though, is that if you have the good fortune of visiting on a day when the crowds are not around, you can do all the best rides of both parks in a single day and have an awesome time. :king:

At least that was true before the Rip Ride Rockit coaster was opened and now the Harry Potter area of Islands of Adventure. I don't know what passes muster for an acceptable day at Universal parks anymore.

gljvd

Don't feel bad , we got to go on the castle ride. But I was apprently to big in the chest area to fit on the ride.

Yea fun stuff. Whats really fun is that many employees complained out it before me and they were like tough ________ we know most people don't fit but we only now just thought of it , mabye next time you come we will have something figured out.

JT3000

Yay, another "complain about Universal" thread! Those are always fun.

I have had similar problems to those described. The worst was the Rip Ride Rockit coaster, and you didn't even mention the restaurants that close or fail to staff employees to take your order, but Universal fans seem to be very tolerant of breakdowns and tourists' wasted time, so you'll probably get little sympathy here from others.

Tourists waste their own time. They don't plan properly. And they can't drive. That has nothing to do with anything, I just wanted to point that out.

As for breakdowns, I go on a regular basis and rarely encounter one. Certainly no more than at Disney. So I don't "tolerate" them. But I also don't come online to complain about them. I've just accepted that they're a reality of theme parks.

Sketch105

I was at Disney a week ago. Space Mountain broke down at least 3 times during the day.

We crossed the park to use a FP at Big Thunder only to find it was shut down as well.

The waterfall effect on Pirates wasn't working, and we had a family in front of us at DHS that decided to sit under the middle part of the shade at the Bus Stop and leave everyone else out in the 101 degree sun, instead of moving up to the front where there was still shade and let everyone enjoy it.

Everyone has a bad day at a park once in a while. With summer being here, more and more guests are in the parks and causing trouble. Breakdowns happen more often in this period than in slow times. It just happens when you have computers and mechanical parts working overtime long hours.

Don't even talk to me about my trip to Knott's Berry Farm..just horrible. They closed the entire park the entire day because it drizzled a bit in the morning, they had no guest service rep to talk to when we arrived. My $300 glasses got caught on a thread hanging from the ceiling in one of their rides, and when I went to say something the workers were like "oh well". Their halloween event was an absolute joke as well.

Trust me..we all have bad days at parks.

mbisenius

Disappointments at Universal

I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad day! We've had horrible experiences when visiting as well. We've had many disappointments with Universal including rides breaking down, rude staff members, etc. After last week's trip, we've decided we will not be visiting US or IofA again because there were too many times we walked around the parks thinking 'Did that just really happen?'

princessmelinda

Original Poster
I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad day! We've had horrible experiences when visiting as well. We've had many disappointments with Universal including rides breaking down, rude staff members, etc. After last week's trip, we've decided we will not be visiting US or IofA again because there were too many times we walked around the parks thinking 'Did that just really happen?'

I literally thought that same thing at the end of the day. I never have had anything hugely against universal, and was actually thinking of taking a strictly universal trip in the future. Needless to say that day made my decision for me.

wizards8507

My favorite Universal experience was when I was 16 years old, visiting with a school field trip. We were there around closing time and sat down to eat at a restaurant (I've only been once, so I'm not as specific as I'd like to be). As we were sitting there eating our chicken strips, a male employee cleaning the dining area began to converse LOUDLY with a female employee behind the counter about the *acts* he intended to perform with her once their shifts were over. Needless to say, his word choice wasn't nearly as polite as I've chosen to use, and I was completely mortified to hear such a conversation while sitting with teachers and family members.

Captain Chaos

I literally thought that same thing at the end of the day. I never have had anything hugely against universal, and was actually thinking of taking a strictly universal trip in the future. Needless to say that day made my decision for me.

Did you complain to Guest Services?? Not that it would do any good because they aren't responsible for rides breaking down. It happens.

I felt the same way about Universal as you do. I was always spewing hatred for the park and their Team members. In fact, two years ago, I encountered one rather extremely rude employee. I marched my butt to Guest Services and lodged a complaint. I even cancelled my annual pass. The manager at Guest Services was rude as well, but the girls working the desk were sweet. Anyway, I got home and called their Guest Service line and followed up on my complaint. A manager got on the phone and offered me two free tickets when ever I take my next trip. That trip occurred last year. My friend and I went and picked up the tickets. We spent half the day at Universal Studios and the other half at IOA.. Guess what?? We had a great time. So good in fact that I decide to give Universal another chance. The good experiences outweigh the bad, but we tend to remember the bad ones more.

Now with Harry Potter open, I am planning on spending two days in November at IOA/USO.. Not convinced enough to get the annual pass again, but, the park is back on my good side.

mousebymarriage

We went to USF in it's first year and nearly everything was broken the day we went. I think we ended up getting free tickets for a return visit.
the same thing happened to us when we went during the first year, I think they were only open a month maybe less. We also each got a free ticket for a return visit.

ann0d

I think you should write a letter complaining, after all you spent all that money on the ticket and didn't get to ride everything you wanted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom