Must Re-Do Disney

spacemt354

Chili's
Okay, so this isn't really related to the discussion as to how we should improve the park, but more about how we should approach it.

Every year, the forum seems to have some big-year end event. Previously, the ICS has hosted tournaments which were really cool. Last year, we had Eisner's Game where we designed a Theme Park Spaceship. I think that this year - given the track of EPIC group brainstorming, we could make this into the forum's 2017 Grand Finale. Obviously, we would want more time (til the end of the month maybe even Janurary) to make the idea the very best, but I think that this could be really could be made into a really cool redo.

Thoughts?
4393172-yoda.meme.png

spacemt354

Chili's
So I don't know if everyone has seen this thread but not that long ago a few of us were brainstorming a revamped DCA - with a closer tie to the California theme.

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/disney-california-adventure-remodel-or-refurb.935911/page-3

1 - Hollywood Land
2 - Bugs Land
3 - Current Expansion Pad
4 - Pacific Wharf and Ariel -- possibly a retheme to better transition from other lands? (Whatever they end up being)
5 - Goofy Sky School - idk that feels awkward next to the beautifully crafted Grand Californian
6 - I believe @D Hindley mentioned the parking lot near Paradise Pier Hotel where you can have an overpass similar to DTD
7 - On @Imagineerland 's expansion plan it looks like he fit an attraction in this space, looks large enough to me for something down the road.
1321.jpg

I don't know if this is the direction we want to go but I think this left a lot of untapped potential for a theme park!

And for whatever we do - I'd love to take a shot at the map! @MANEATINGWREATH I think I've got plenty of practice for your Dream Disney map :D

DisneyForever

Original Poster
Okay, so this isn't really related to the discussion as to how we should improve the park, but more about how we should approach it.

Every year, the forum seems to have some big-year end event. Previously, the ICS has hosted tournaments which were really cool. Last year, we had Eisner's Game where we designed a Theme Park Spaceship. I think that this year - given the track of EPIC group brainstorming, we could make this into the forum's 2017 Grand Finale. Obviously, we would want more time (til the end of the month maybe even Janurary) to make the idea the very best, but I think that this could be really could be made into a really cool redo.

Thoughts?
I think that’s a great idea. And yes, I’ll give you until the end of the year. I never knew the forums did this.

AceAstro

So I don't know if everyone has seen this thread but not that long ago a few of us were brainstorming a revamped DCA - with a closer tie to the California theme.

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/disney-california-adventure-remodel-or-refurb.935911/page-3

1 - Hollywood Land
2 - Bugs Land
4 - Pacific Wharf and Ariel -- possibly a retheme to better transition from other lands? (Whatever they end up being)
5 - Goofy Sky School - idk that feels awkward next to the beautifully crafted Grand Californian
6 - I believe @D Hindley mentioned the parking lot near Paradise Pier Hotel where you can have an overpass similar to DTD
7 - On @Imagineerland 's expansion plan it looks like he fit an attraction in this space, looks large enough to me for something down the road.
1321.jpg

I don't know if this is the direction we want to go but I think this left a lot of untapped potential for a theme park!

And for whatever we do - I'd love to take a shot at the map! @MANEATINGWREATH I think I've got plenty of practice for your Dream Disney map :D
I liked the progress we made on this!! I’m all for continuing with what we had here!

kmbmw777

1 - Hollywood Land
2 - Bugs Land
1321.jpg

1 - I believe we distressed making the land themed to a Golden Age Hollywood.
2 - We talked about retheming this to Stark Expo, and hopefully doing some exterior revamping on Mission Breakout (or at least Block Sight lines)
3 - Maybe the Mexican Themed Land could go here?
4 - More like @D Hindley's Pacific Wharf from Club 32, and maybe San Fransyoko
5 - One idea I have is to make this into a 'Silicon Valley' Land where we can maybe get Google to sponsor a history of the internet
6 - I'd personally suggest we leave this land be. Maybe we could expand Paradise Pier or build a new hotel.
7 - Maybe put the Marine Life Institute here and make a Nemo attraction?

DisneyForever

Original Poster
Week 4 Judging
Hello and welcome back to Week 4 Judging. This week was hectic for me and for you, I'm sure. Before we start, I'm sure you've read the few posts before this but Week 5 is the final week of the competition. I realized that not only personal life gets in the way of less important things, but I also learned that it takes time to plan a well thought-out competition. So, after my blah blah talking, let's move on to the judging portion.

Team Skyliner:
Thank you for presenting me with some that is very thought-out. This was a very creative decision as the WDW resort is lacking Cars features, and with the closure of Lightning McQueen and Mater Meet and Greet back in 2014, this very well brings the Cars franchise alive. I love the photo almost running in to Mac, that gives me a sense of immersion, which I like to see. The only thing that sort of bothered me was the fact that the ride is in Future World. Now I know that Test Track is in Future World, and it's not that futuristic, but Cars in the area doesn't really fit. I think that the theme was great, but maybe not in that area.

• Creativity: 4/5
  • Timing: 5/5
  • Immersion: 5/5
  • Art: 4/5
  • Total: 18/20
Team Kingdom:
Oh gosh, where to begin... This ride was truly amazing, something that personally, I think could be an idea of an Imagineer. This whole ride is just amazing, and all of it felt so immersing. I cannot believe that you even went a step further by adding retail and dining. The drawings were phenomenal Baymax car was cool! The only thing I thought was strange was the fact that the ride seems strange in a sense of being in Future World. This is sort of what happened with Team Skyliner, only this ride seemed too eye-popping in an area that has darker, shadier colors than something that adds a little bit of every color. Otherwise, I'd say that I love the ride, and I'd love to see it come to reality.

• Creativity: 5/5
  • Timing: 5/5
  • Immersion: 4/5
  • Art: 5/5
  • Total: 19/20
So, that concludes our Week 4 Judging. Thank you all who participated, it made me feel something special inside. Lastly, let's take a look at the scoreboard:

• Team Skyliner: 88.5
  • Team Kingdom: 91.5

DisneyFan18

1 - I believe we distressed making the land themed to a Golden Age Hollywood.
2 - We talked about retheming this to Stark Expo, and hopefully doing some exterior revamping on Mission Breakout (or at least Block Sight lines)
3 - Maybe the Mexican Themed Land could go here?
4 - More like @D Hindley's Pacific Wharf from Club 32, and maybe San Fransyoko
5 - One idea I have is to make this into a 'Silicon Valley' Land where we can maybe get Google to sponsor a history of the internet
6 - I'd personally suggest we leave this land be. Maybe we could expand Paradise Pier or build a new hotel.
7 - Maybe put the Marine Life Institute here and make a Nemo attraction?
1.- If I remember correctly 1 was indeed going to be 1930's Hollywood so we could keep ToT, and we mentioned adding a Muppets attraction along side the Roger Rabbit, and someone suggested a Great Movie Ride-esque ride.
2.- The Stark Expo would be just an Iron Man and Ant Man attraction since those two are the only MCU characters that are somewhat related to California in the movies.
3.- I agree about this being the Mexican inspired Land with the Conquistador Ride and Coco.
4.- Maybe 4 can become the Marine Life Institute?
5 & 6.- And make this two the Old San Francisco with @D Hindley 's Pacific Wharf, and New San Francisco with BH6, Inside Out, and I remember someone proposing a Tron ride?
7.- Since we're keeping Paradise Pier as it is, or at least that was what was mentioned in the thread, I'm not sure of how to use the space, maybe a show building for New San Francisco?

kmbmw777

5 & 6.- And make this two the Old San Francisco with @D Hindley 's Pacific Wharf, and New San Francisco with BH6, Inside Out, and I remember someone proposing a Tron ride?
My main concern with this is that it’s separated from the current Pacific Wharf subland which is to the bottom right of four on the map. However, I agree with you that it fits here.

Would it be unreasonable to gut Paradise Pier and make that entire area into Pacific Wharf, San Fransokyo. Maybe even a Tron Indoor Mini Land in expansion pad 7?

DisneyFan18

My main concern with this is that it’s separated from the current Pacific Wharf subland which is to the bottom right of four on the map. However, I agree with you that it fits here.

Would it be unreasonable to gut Paradise Pier and make that entire area into Pacific Wharf, San Fransokyo. Maybe even a Tron Indoor Mini Land in expansion pad 7?
While I wouldn't be completely opposed to it, I'm not sure how I feel about taking California Screamin' out of the equation, and I'm not sure of what to do with Toy Story Midway Mania as it is a popular attraction...

D Hulk

More thoughts later (busy now), but DCA’s Pacific Wharf is based on Monterrey, so it won’t conflict with SF elsewhere.

D Hulk

1321.jpg

So...the DCA areas we're totally happy with at present are Buena Vista Street, Cars Land and Grizzly Peak. Right?

For everything else, we're talking about reworking all or some of it for themes like:
A) Romanticized 1930s Hollywood
B) Old colonial Spanish/Mexican California
C) San Francisco
a) Old 1900 SF, like my Pacific Wharf land for Club 32
b) Modern SF or San Fransokyo, able to do BH6, Inside Out, and more
D) A Marvel area (mostly Iron Man and Ant Man)
E) Silicon Valley (Tron, BH6)

I'm all for 1 becoming the revamped Hollywood, with as @DisneyFan18 says stuff for Muppets, Roger Rabbit, keeping the old TOT, and maybe something like Great Movie Ride. I might propose a movie-themed version of Mystic Manor in an aging starlet's mansion, with an enchanted projector bringing old films to life.

I think 2 and 3 ought to be the same land, with A Bugs Land axed. For here, I like the colonial land with the proposed Conquistador/historical boat dark ride, and also a Coco dark ride. (Alternately, Grizzly Peak could host such a retheme, as I'd proposed in One Sentence.)

DCA has an existing "Pacific Wharf" mini-land, a glorified food court themed to Monterrey Bay southeast of 4. It can retheme if needed, but there's no room here for new attractions sadly. To avoid confusion, let's use "Old SF" for now to refer to the Club 32 SF area. That idea, incidentally, could fit 4 and 5, with Sky School changing to the Lombard Street wild mouse coaster.

Pacific Pier can stay as is, retaining Midway Mania. If it becomes a SF boardwalk (right now it's a Santa Monica / Santa Cruz boardwalk), then 7 could have maybe an Inside Out ride. Maybe it can anyway.

6 across the street can fit both Marvel and Silicon Valley (and maybe San Fransokyo), which all have a sci-fi feel. That is, if we want to expand out there.

Disney was also eyeballing the land north of 1 for expansion too when the Eastern Gateway Project was still live. There are bus drop-off circles up there which would've moved to a new parking structure that's presently dead. Might've been the Marvel area according to rumor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom