Must have "Get through the Parks" Item/Tool

Pongo

I, too, am a minimalist. Wallet, keys, phone, camera. Done. Sometimes I've managed to pare it down to just my credit card and ID so that I don't have to deal with a bulky wallet in my back pocket. Sometimes I just leave the credit card behind (which makes it much easier to not buy things).

I think I would say that the camera is my "get through the parks" tool. There's always something new to take a picture of.

mousebymarriage

Kind of getting off track here, but what is it with the sunscreen necessity? (Asking out of pure curiosity.) In all the 20 something weeks I've spent at WDW I have never come close to getting a burn or even a tan line and I'm one of those pale types who burns like crazy. Most of the queues are indoors and most of the outdoors is shaded. I would guess I'm only out in the direct sun about 2% of the time at WDW. I've never brought or used sunscreen at the parks.

I know some people are REALLY into sunscreen and wear it every day (which I guess you should), but I haven't found any more need for it at WDW than there is a need for it at home. The exception being the water parks and pools. But it seems to be a number 1 necessity for people on these boards.
I wear sunscreen everyday, even in the winter (but in the winter I only use it on my face,neck and ears) The moisturizer that I use has sunscreen in it). I had skin cancer on my nose 2 1/2 years ago so I insist that my kids also wear sunscreen everyday whether they like it or not.

The skin cancer looked like a pimple that wouldn't heal and I knew what it was before the doctor even confirmed it. I had Mohs surgery (which took a couple of hours) to remove it. Surprisingly it was a small pimple but, the area that was actually cancerous was very large (the size of a regular jelly bean) and very deep (it had stopped just short of the cartiledge).

eddiemcgarrigle

##

Those that choose the blue tend not to be Big Issue Salesmen and will have a wider wardrobe selection, ie more than one shirt to their name.

Technically, an orange sash or white pinny does not constitute an item of clothing suitable for a theme park such as WDW. ;)

If you do happen to see loads of green and white hooped tops at WDW then selling the Big Issue must be a great money maker and I applaud their financial verve in having exploited this market. Does a lack of blue shirts expose a lack of financial skill among the forces of darkness? Lloyds TSB seem to be saying yes.

Kind of getting off track here, but what is it with the sunscreen necessity? (Asking out of pure curiosity.) In all the 20 something weeks I've spent at WDW I have never come close to getting a burn or even a tan line and I'm one of those pale types who burns like crazy. Most of the queues are indoors and most of the outdoors is shaded. I would guess I'm only out in the direct sun about 2% of the time at WDW. I've never brought or used sunscreen at the parks.

I know some people are REALLY into sunscreen and wear it every day (which I guess you should), but I haven't found any more need for it at WDW than there is a need for it at home. The exception being the water parks and pools. But it seems to be a number 1 necessity for people on these boards.

It's still a healthy thing to do, even if you don't burn (but oh...do I BURN.) And at the risk of sounding like a Debbie Downer, my HS math teacher just passed away from Melanoma. I wear sunscreen out of necessity, otherwise I would be a lobster. But I think that with any amount of time spent outside, some sunscreen is necessary, even if only SPF 15. Gotta keep out the bad rays :cool:

So sunscreen is definitely on my list, but other than that, pretty basic. Sunglasses, camera, phone, etc. I do always try to bring bandages and things for my feet, since I still haven't been able to find the perfect park shoes. And every trip I end up bringing a different bag, can't quite choose a style and size. Though I will say on my last trip, using ziploc bags to organize my larger tote bag was a time saver not only for myself but for the BAG CHECK!

Susan Savia

I carry the same cross the shoulder bag every time we come. Its not really that big and has room for a water bottle, deep enough for camera, wallet and a snack. Husband and son carry nothing. They wear baseball caps and I wear a visor.

julsie

blister plasters!! dosnt matter how comfy or broken in my trainers are i always get a blister.
sunscreen and aftersun cos i burn really easy on my shoulders every time i go to wdw

surfsupdon

I need one of those Mickey face stickers they seem to hand out everywhere plastered on my shirt.

I get one each morning when I leave the Resort, either from our Concierge CM or the front desk.

Makes me feel in the Disney spirit of things.

Raven66

Lip balm with sunscreen in it. And sunscreen. My daughter burns very easy and my husband's ears and back of his neck burn. I don't mind a little sun on my face but it will burn if I'm not careful. And I bring a hat just in case, both my daughter and I have burned the tops of our heads where our hair parts in the middle. Combing it the next day hurt really bad!:eek:

GenerationX

We usually go in the summer, so I pack $0.99 emergency ponchos for everyone. You can get them at Wal-Mart or Target, and they come so folded up in their packages that they fit in back pockets.

rock_doctor

Granola bars. Seriously.
This is actually a good one. I take breakfast bars. I tend to run out of energy, a bar every once in a while and i can go forever....plus munching every once and a while keeps me relaxed. The only real must have is a good hat to keep the sun off the head. Sunstroke is a real problem, even in the winter time.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
As many have mentioned, mine is my trusty backpack. But i don't change it up for every trip, i have the same backpack that i use for every trip. It makes me nostalgic anytime i use it because i know it's been on all of my Disney trips with me. I have updated newer backpacks, but it's not the same! I have a compartment i know where my phone/camera would be located. I have another compartment i know my keys to the world are located. I have a water bottle holder on the outside. There's just no guessing where something may be!

That is EXACTLY what I do. I've had the same backpack for my last 8 trips.

kapeman

My latest 'must have' item for the backpack is called a Tube Towel (available at swim team supply stores and swim meets). Basically it's a very thin and lightweight towel that's super absorbent (somewhat like a chamois, but doesn't become stiff when dry), dries quickly, but opens to the size of a regular beach towel. It literally folds up to the size of a Mickey poncho, though.

We've used it to sit on for the parades and fireworks, to dry off a wet seat on a ride, to dry off ourselves after riding a wet ride, as an emergency kleenex, a sunshield on a hot day, a blanket for a chilly evening, etc.

"There's a frood who really knows where his towel is."

:D

both my daughter and I have burned the tops of our heads where our hair parts in the middle. Combing it the next day hurt really bad!:eek:

Oh man, scalp burns are the worst! I started bringing one of those sunscreen sticks to use for that, since the lotion is always so messy. Or I just pull my hair up so I don't have a part. On the last trip I bought a mickey visor, I really like it because it covers my face from sun but doesn't cause hat hair!

My quest for the perfect WDW walking shoes/sandals continues...

DisneyMusician2

We've always carried one backpack for all the "stuff" -- sunscreen, ponchos, pens, etc.

My latest 'must have' item for the backpack is called a Tube Towel (available at swim team supply stores and swim meets). Basically it's a very thin and lightweight towel that's super absorbent (somewhat like a chamois, but doesn't become stiff when dry), dries quickly, but opens to the size of a regular beach towel. It literally folds up to the size of a Mickey poncho, though.

We've used it to sit on for the parades and fireworks, to dry off a wet seat on a ride, to dry off ourselves after riding a wet ride, as an emergency kleenex, a sunshield on a hot day, a blanket for a chilly evening, etc.

It's actually like a thneed, which everyone, everyone, everyone needs....

Hopefully not in that order....:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom