Must be getting old or I just don't understand the youth today

Jedi Stitch

Original Poster
I'm 42. I know I was brought up understanding the value of a dollar. I also was taught not to waste, Respect, finish what I start, you know the typical mantra of what many would say is being brought up right. The weekend before Labor day, I had taken my daughter camping. I decided to not sit in the Interstate back up and hit the highways. mainly driving up the coast from Oregon back into Washington.
We stop at a road side Curio shop with Jake the Alligator man, and other oddities, plus all the uniqueness souvenirs. They have a penny squishier, one of my favorite souvenirs, along with shot glasses. I am stuck behind a young teen girl who is cranking the wheel on the penny squishier. She is cranking away, for a while, she seam to be getting frustrated. "Where is the penny?" she exclaims. I chime in "you put the money in right?" I look at the money slot there is a penny siting in the one of the quarter slots. "Um... you know you have to pay 50 cents plus the penny to be squished, right?" She is completely oblivious to this fact. "she goes that's why my dad handed me 2 quarters and a penny, I thought he was stupid or something." OMG, what....oh this is sad. so she puts the change into the machine and pushes in the level and starts cranking. Now she din't stop to see what design she was going to get or if the arrow was lined up. She starts cranking and goes "I didn't want this design" as soon as it got hard to crank she goes "Whatever" and starts to walk away.
I at first was thinking cool free penny, but then the dad in me took over. "No!, you need to finish cranking the wheel and get your penny" she first gives me the indignant snort. I don't relent "Look if you don't want it, I'll give the penny to my daughter. You should finish what you start, and not waste your money. Just take your damn penny!" She gives me the Sigh of contention, and finished cranking the wheel.
Is it me or are we starting to see a disposable generation. Not saying they are disposable, but everything is disposable, isn't worth their time when it doesn't go their way or becomes too hard?

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I'm 42. I know I was brought up understanding the value of a dollar. I also was taught not to waste, Respect, finish what I start, you know the typical mantra of what many would say is being brought up right. The weekend before Labor day, I had taken my daughter camping. I decided to not sit in the Interstate back up and hit the highways. mainly driving up the coast from Oregon back into Washington.
We stop at a road side Curio shop with Jake the Alligator man, and other oddities, plus all the uniqueness souvenirs. They have a penny squishier, one of my favorite souvenirs, along with shot glasses. I am stuck behind a young teen girl who is cranking the wheel on the penny squishier. She is cranking away, for a while, she seam to be getting frustrated. "Where is the penny?" she exclaims. I chime in "you put the money in right?" I look at the money slot there is a penny siting in the one of the quarter slots. "Um... you know you have to pay 50 cents plus the penny to be squished, right?" She is completely oblivious to this fact. "she goes that's why my dad handed me 2 quarters and a penny, I thought he was stupid or something." OMG, what....oh this is sad. so she puts the change into the machine and pushes in the level and starts cranking. Now she din't stop to see what design she was going to get or if the arrow was lined up. She starts cranking and goes "I didn't want this design" as soon as it got hard to crank she goes "Whatever" and starts to walk away.
I at first was thinking cool free penny, but then the dad in me took over. "No!, you need to finish cranking the wheel and get your penny" she first gives me the indignant snort. I don't relent "Look if you don't want it, I'll give the penny to my daughter. You should finish what you start, and not waste your money. Just take your damn penny!" She gives me the Sigh of contention, and finished cranking the wheel.
Is it me or are we starting to see a disposable generation. Not saying they are disposable, but everything is disposable, isn't worth their time when it doesn't go their way or becomes too hard?

I think the previous generation tends to find fault with the newer generation--my parents did that with me--and their parents complained about them, when they were kids, and so on.

That being said, I understand your frustration with the kid, in this instance you outlined above. Yet, to take just one negative interaction with a stranger, and think that all (young teenage) kids assume most things are just disposable now, might be a bit of a stretch. Just my opinion expressed here, but I've always tried to judge others on an individual basis, not so much on their age group.

Driver

I agree that not all are that way but I also agree with the OP. I am well into my fifties, and I see some of this behavior in my two nephews. My brother and sister in law are good folks but by my observation it's in the details. When my kids were little I noticed the little things and gave gentle correction. I don't see that (in the case of my nephews). So from a child's perspective no feedback must mean it's OK. I find my nephews boast which to me is very negative and there is no correction telling them how this is frowned upon.

Driver

Then it's not the kids, but their parents, right?
Oh yeah it's the parents. I guess what I mean is even with all good intentions as parents we still don't always get it right. But like I said to me it's in the details that are falling thru the cracks. And the details are important.

Driver

I just remind myself sometimes that it was my generation who raised the parents of that "next generation", so perhaps ther's plenty of blame to go around, right?
True...... I can remember times when my kids would get aggravated about our rules etc. and I would tell them " on the day you were born only you came out.... no instruction manual I'm doing my best"

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
The kid in this original post seems a little ditzy to me. In each generation there are people like that. I have worked with tweens and teens for almost 2 decades now (great now I feel old) and have seen them grow more dependent on technology and getting instant results or something done fast. But I don't think they are necessarily more entitled or lazy. Again there are people in every generation with that attitude.

Driver

The kid in this original post seems a little ditzy to me. In each generation there are people like that. I have worked with tweens and teens for almost 2 decades now (great now I feel old) and have seen them grow more dependent on technology and getting instant results or something done fast. But I don't think they are necessarily more entitled or lazy. Again there are people in every generation with that attitude.
You bring up two good points "things done fast" and "dependent on technology "

Debbie

"Where is the penny?" she exclaims. I chime in "you put the money in right?" I look at the money slot there is a penny siting in the one of the quarter slots. "Um... you know you have to pay 50 cents plus the penny to be squished, right?" She is completely oblivious to this fact. "she goes that's why my dad handed me 2 quarters and a penny, I thought he was stupid or something."

This may also be the child who doesn't read all the answers before choosing on a multiple choice quiz.......and to say her dad is stupid is a typical backup when finding herself looking not all that bright. I drive a school bus and these kids amaze me everyday-----they are either on top of their game or lacking in social graces====not too many in the gray area

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
You bring up two good points "things done fast" and "dependent on technology "

I see this with a lot of adults now too. Even myself sometimes. Example, I have been wanting to restart a crochet blanket project that I put away for the summer for about 1 week now but when I get home it seems like a hassle to go get it out of the closet when my phone is right there and I can play a game or something for easier entertainment.

Driver

I see this with a lot of adults now too. Even myself sometimes. Example, I have been wanting to restart a crochet blanket project that I put away for the summer for about 1 week now but when I get home it seems like a hassle to go get it out of the closet when my phone is right there and I can play a game or something for easier entertainment.
I hear that, my limit is this forum and checking my e mail after that I get moving even if it's to go for a walk. I don't want to fall into the techno rut. My DW is glued to the stuff but whatever!

Jedi Stitch

Original Poster
As I said , I believe there is a core value system that every child should be instilled in them. Many of the posters recognize that we are not perfect, but recognize that something is amiss. Of course I did use a possible teen as an example, and in all fairness all rules go out the window when a teen is involved. I got a one more year before my daughter hits the "Teens" dun,dun,duuuun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom