Must be getting old or I just don't understand the youth today

Nemo14

As I said , I believe there is a core value system that every child should be instilled in them. Many of the posters recognize that we are not perfect, but recognize that something is amiss. Of course I did use a possible teen as an example, and in all fairness all rules go out the window when a teen is involved. I got a one more year before my daughter hits the "Teens" dun,dun,duuuun.
Enjoy it now - you'll soon know so much less than she does...;)

Rumrunner

I think the previous generation tends to find fault with the newer generation--my parents did that with me--and their parents complained about them, when they were kids, and so on.

That being said, I understand your frustration with the kid, in this instance you outlined above. Yet, to take just one negative interaction with a stranger, and think that all (young teenage) kids assume most things are just disposable now, might be a bit of a stretch. Just my opinion I expressed here, but I've always tried to judge others on an individual basis, not so much on their age group.
When I compare generations I think of the Greatest Generation-most of those men hitting the beaches at Normandy were 19 to 22 years old. The two soldiers that on their crude radar screens saw the Japanese planes descending on Pearl Harbor were 19 and 22 years old respectively. I cringe when I hear about this generation needing "safe spaces" so as not to hear something that may be offensive to them. I would say there are big differences between generations. My only wish is that I could have been a part of the "Greatest Generation". Sorry I was born too late. My generation (and I am old) can't hold a candle to that generation.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
When I compare generations I think of the Greatest Generation-most of those men hitting the beaches at Normandy were 19 to 22 years old. The two soldiers that on their crude radar screens saw the Japanese planes descending on Pearl Harbor were 19 and 22 years old respectively. I cringe when I hear about this generation needing "safe spaces" so as not to hear something that may be offensive to them. I would say there are big differences between generations. My only wish is that I could have been a part of the "Greatest Generation". Sorry I was born too late. My generation (and I am old) can't hold a candle to that generation.

Well, my two cents here -- from reading the above, I think that (whatever generation) you were born into, you're obviously insightful and compassionate--and turned out just fine.

As for the "Greatest Generation", certainly, the brave soldiers at Normandy earned our respect. I'd like to mention here, that I keep up with the news, and I have heard reports of brave soldiers currently serving our country now, who are stationed overseas. They'll also be written about in history books in years to come, just like their predecessors. All generations have produced a combination of people with varying degrees of character and abilities.

(P.S.: I had to smile about your comment regarding "safe spaces" for "some" people nowadays. I have to agree on that one, but I also try to look at the bigger picture which is this. IMO, the people, even in that category, may have some other valuable attributes--that maybe they'll share with the world someday.) I never lose hope, because life often will surprise us, when we least expect it. ;)

Driver

God Bless our troops

FutureCEO

As I said , I believe there is a core value system that every child should be instilled in them. Many of the posters recognize that we are not perfect, but recognize that something is amiss. Of course I did use a possible teen as an example, and in all fairness all rules go out the window when a teen is involved. I got a one more year before my daughter hits the "Teens" dun,dun,duuuun.

It all started with.....every child gets a trophy.

Goofyernmost

Yeah, that's when the Roman Empire finally collapsed, and the British Empire fell - when they started handing out participation trophies.
Actually it was when Disney handed out refrigerator magnet type rubber participation medals for participating in the 5K events. It all just went in the crapper after that.:bawling:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom