• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Musicals (Broadway, Off-Broadway, and Others)

WildernessLodge

This is not a musical, but if anyone is in NYC this summer, there is a great play called SKINTIGHT starring Idina Menzel (voice of Elsa) at Roundabout Theatre Company. I was at the opening night and it is hysterical. Here are a few clips:
I want to see this!! I can't imagine a show where Idina doesn't sing but I do love her!

BuddyThomas

Premium Member
I saw Aladdin and Frozen in NYC two weekends ago. Aladdin was cute but felt like a more expensive, longer version of one of the theme park musicals. Frozen however was amazing! The use of technology, the actors' talents, the new songs, the sets - everything was fantastic!! I've also seen The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Mary Poppin, and The Little Mermaid.
I shouldn't tell you this, but a couple of months ago, I went on Stub Hub around 7:00 PM and they had a front row center ticket to Frozen listed for $39.00. Needless to say, I grabbed it as fast as possible. Even though the critics didn't love it, I thought it was freaking amazing on pretty much every level, especially for $39.00 (it was actually closer to 50 with fees, but still!)

WildernessLodge

I shouldn't tell you this, but a couple of months ago, I went on Stub Hub around 7:00 PM and they had a front row center ticket to Frozen listed for $39.00. Needless to say, I grabbed it as fast as possible. Even though the critics didn't love it, I thought it was freaking amazing on pretty much every level, especially for $39.00 (it was actually closer to 50 with fees, but still!)
Wow that's so cool!! I will say though that it was worth every penny of the $100 I paid! I loved every second. It was worth it to me to guarantee having a seat =)

Disneylover152

I would like to say that after spongesobbing for the past two days, I officially bought seats for Spongebob closing night front row center for $225. But, with a discount because I know the stage manager, she is giving me them for $92 for being such a giant fan!

Wow that's so cool!! I will say though that it was worth every penny of the $100 I paid! I loved every second. It was worth it to me to guarantee having a seat =)
I saw Frozen for $65 cause I bought tickets almost a year in advance. I would say its worth $150 maximum for the first time. But for the second or more time I wouldn't pay more than $70. I liked parts of it but I feel it was in a bit of an identity crisis and parts of act one is slow because they moved stuff around to have Let it Go as the act closer. Plus it doesn't make sense that Olaf is just there... in the movie Elsa creates him during Let it Go but now that he is introduced before Let it Go, it doesn't make sense that he is just... there. I know thats a little thing but for me it was a big deal, lol.

Also, Frozen is now the cheapest Disney on Broadway musical to get (on average and not in an abnormal situation like @BuddyThomas ).
- Frozen = $89.
- Aladdin = $99
- The Lion King = $145

Anyone else find this unexpected and weird?

WildernessLodge

I saw Frozen for $65 cause I bought tickets almost a year in advance. I would say its worth $150 maximum for the first time. But for the second or more time I wouldn't pay more than $70. I liked parts of it but I feel it was in a bit of an identity crisis and parts of act one is slow because they moved stuff around to have Let it Go as the act closer. Plus it doesn't make sense that Olaf is just there... in the movie Elsa creates him during Let it Go but now that he is introduced before Let it Go, it doesn't make sense that he is just... there. I know thats a little thing but for me it was a big deal, lol.

Also, Frozen is now the cheapest Disney on Broadway musical to get (on average and not in an abnormal situation like @BuddyThomas ).
- Frozen = $89.
- Aladdin = $99
- The Lion King = $145

Anyone else find this unexpected and weird?
Interesting. I read reviews before I bought tickets to make sure it was something I wanted to see and other people brought up your points, mainly about the first act being so long. This really wasn't a problem for me. I love Disney and also love musicals and the mix for me is a dream. Again, I really loved every minute! And I'm not being biased - I've seen Aladdin and The Little Mermaid lol. If I really dissected it and broke it down I could find a few things that weren't perfect (like what you're saying about Olaf lol) but I enjoyed it for what it was and could overlook tiny discrepancies that didn't take away from my experience. I compare it to a lot of people on here that are too critical of the attractions in WDW when I enjoy them for what they are and they are still very pleasurable for me. It's safe to say that most people seeing Frozen The Musical have seen the movie anyway - people are already familiar with the characters.

But yes, I do think those prices are interesting. The Lion King is still my second favorite musical that I've ever seen (after Wicked) and deserves the expensive ticket prices. I was so impressed by the tech, songs, costumes, sets, and talent in Frozen that I place it third on my list. However, I saw Aladdin the same day I saw Frozen. Again, I enjoyed it for what it was and did have a great time and did love it. But it's arguably not the most amazing musical or even Disney musical. In total, I've seen six Disney musicals: Mary Poppins, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Frozen (plus Newsies at the movie theater lol) and Aladdin is far down on the scale for me.

Disneylover152

Interesting. I read reviews before I bought tickets to make sure it was something I wanted to see and other people brought up your points, mainly about the first act being so long. This really wasn't a problem for me. I love Disney and also love musicals and the mix for me is a dream. Again, I really loved every minute! And I'm not being biased - I've seen Aladdin and The Little Mermaid lol. If I really dissected it and broke it down I could find a few things that weren't perfect (like what you're saying about Olaf lol) but I enjoyed it for what it was and could overlook tiny discrepancies that didn't take away from my experience. I compare it to a lot of people on here that are too critical of the attractions in WDW when I enjoy them for what they are and they are still very pleasurable for me. It's safe to say that most people seeing Frozen The Musical have seen the movie anyway - people are already familiar with the characters.

But yes, I do think those prices are interesting. The Lion King is still my second favorite musical that I've ever seen (after Wicked) and deserves the expensive ticket prices. I was so impressed by the tech, songs, costumes, sets, and talent in Frozen that I place it third on my list. However, I saw Aladdin the same day I saw Frozen. Again, I enjoyed it for what it was and did have a great time and did love it. But it's arguably not the most amazing musical or even Disney musical. In total, I've seen six Disney musicals: Mary Poppins, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Frozen (plus Newsies at the movie theater lol) and Aladdin is far down on the scale for me.
I really did enjoy Frozen, but it was just little stuff for me that makes it not the best Disney musical. It's not the worst, but its not the best. I'm just over critical over Broadway musicals because I've seen every show on Broadway right now at least once and I just am like an amateur theatre critic, lol. Frozen is just in an identity crisis, while Aladdin and The Lion king aren't. Frozen is like a high school senior who doesn't know where they want to go. That's what puts it my least favorite Disney musicals out of the 3 on Broadway. But again, I still really loved it as I do with every Disney musical.

I have seen all the Disney Musicals live, and I made a list of my favorites. I'm curious to hear all of yours!

Favorite Disney Musicals:
1) Newsies
2) The Lion King
3) Beauty and the Beast
4) Mary Poppins
5) Aladdin
6) Frozen
7) The Little Mermaid
8) Hunchback of Notre Dame (I saw at Paper mill since its never been on Broadway)
9) Tarzan (love the movie, but not the musical)

El_Tomato

I really did enjoy Frozen, but it was just little stuff for me that makes it not the best Disney musical. It's not the worst, but its not the best. I'm just over critical over Broadway musicals because I've seen every show on Broadway right now at least once and I just am like an amateur theatre critic, lol. Frozen is just in an identity crisis, while Aladdin and The Lion king aren't. Frozen is like a high school senior who doesn't know where they want to go. That's what puts it my least favorite Disney musicals out of the 3 on Broadway. But again, I still really loved it as I do with every Disney musical.

I have seen all the Disney Musicals live, and I made a list of my favorites. I'm curious to hear all of yours!

Favorite Disney Musicals:
1) Newsies
2) The Lion King
3) Beauty and the Beast
4) Mary Poppins
5) Aladdin
6) Frozen
7) The Little Mermaid
8) Hunchback of Notre Dame (I saw at Paper mill since its never been on Broadway)
9) Tarzan (love the movie, but not the musical)
Would you mind to share your thoughts on Hunchback?

Disneylover152

Would you mind to share your thoughts on Hunchback?
I will probably get some hate on this, but I really dislike the story of The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I love Quasimodo as a character, but I don't like the story, and I really don't like the songs (exception "Out There").

It's darker than the movie, and the set was really cool and the actors were really good, but I remember not being impressed with the score and the book was very, very confusing. But yea, take the Disney Movie, keep the songs, characters and the basic story, but make the movie a whole lot darker.

Disneylover152

It's darker than the movie, and the set was really cool and the actors were really good, but I remember not being impressed with the score and the book was very, very confusing. But yea, take the Disney Movie, keep the songs, characters and the basic story, but make the movie a whole lot darker.
And I forgot. Make the movie a whole lot darker and add unnecessary subplots that have nothing to do with the show or downgrade it.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Me too. I thought about a trip to Boston but they are charging $199.00 for the tickets. Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!
Yeah if I can’t fork over $200 for Hamilton (though I will continue to enter the lottery every week, then spend about $200 on travel to Chicago if I get tix), I can’t see myself spending that on Moulin Rouge either.

BuddyThomas

Premium Member
Yeah if I can’t fork over $200 for Hamilton (though I will continue to enter the lottery every week, then spend about $200 on travel to Chicago if I get tix), I can’t see myself spending that on Moulin Rouge either.
Someone on a Broadway chat board posted the song list. Apparently very different from the movie. Sounds....interesting?

Amores Como El Nuestro

Bad Romance

Because We Can

Brick House

Can’t Help Falling in Love

Chandelier

Children of the Revolution

Come What May

Crazy

Diamonds

Diamonds are a Girl’s Best Friend

Diamonds are Forever

Don’t Speak

Don’t You Want Me

Everlasting Love

Every Breath You Take

Fidelity

Firework

Galop Infernal

Gimme Shelter

Heroes

Hey Ya!

I Don’t Want to Wait

I Love You Always Forever

I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me)

I Will Always Love You

It Ain’t Me Babe

Jungle Boogie

L’amour Est Oiseaux

La Vie en Rose

Lady Marmalade

Love Hurts

Love is a Battlefield

Material Girl

Milord

Money (That’s What I Want)

Mr. Big Stuff

Nature Boy

Never Gonna Give You Up

One More Night

Only Girl in the World

Play the Game

Pride (In the Name of Love)

Raise Your Glass

Rhythm of the Night

Ride Wit Me

Rolling the Deep

Roxanne

Royals

Seven Nation Army

Shake It Out

Shut Up and Dance

Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)

So Fresh So Clean

Such Great Heights

Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)

Sympathy for the Devil

Tainted Love

Take On Me

The Sound of Music

Torn

Toxic

Up Where We Belong

We Are Young

What’s Love Got to Do with It

You Can’t Always Get What You Want

You Spin Me Round

Your Song

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Someone on a Broadway chat board posted the song list. Apparently very different from the movie. Sounds....interesting?

Amores Como El Nuestro

Bad Romance

Because We Can

Brick House

Can’t Help Falling in Love

Chandelier

Children of the Revolution

Come What May

Crazy

Diamonds

Diamonds are a Girl’s Best Friend

Diamonds are Forever

Don’t Speak

Don’t You Want Me

Everlasting Love

Every Breath You Take

Fidelity

Firework

Galop Infernal

Gimme Shelter

Heroes

Hey Ya!

I Don’t Want to Wait

I Love You Always Forever

I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me)

I Will Always Love You

It Ain’t Me Babe

Jungle Boogie

L’amour Est Oiseaux

La Vie en Rose

Lady Marmalade

Love Hurts

Love is a Battlefield

Material Girl

Milord

Money (That’s What I Want)

Mr. Big Stuff

Nature Boy

Never Gonna Give You Up

One More Night

Only Girl in the World

Play the Game

Pride (In the Name of Love)

Raise Your Glass

Rhythm of the Night

Ride Wit Me

Rolling the Deep

Roxanne

Royals

Seven Nation Army

Shake It Out

Shut Up and Dance

Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)

So Fresh So Clean

Such Great Heights

Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)

Sympathy for the Devil

Tainted Love

Take On Me

The Sound of Music

Torn

Toxic

Up Where We Belong

We Are Young

What’s Love Got to Do with It

You Can’t Always Get What You Want

You Spin Me Round

Your Song
Oh.
Oh no.
Oh no no no no no

Like, I figured they would have to add more songs, but unless some of the ones you listed are part of a jumbo montage, that makes me a little worried

MisterPenguin

Rumormonger
Premium Member
Such is the world of Juke Box musicals, especially when the songs are from different artists and production companies. Musical rights come and go.

Seth Rudetsky's Disaster! had a few different songs in its Broadway run compared to off-Broadway because of rights issues.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Such is the world of Juke Box musicals, especially when the songs are from different artists and production companies. Musical rights come and go.

Seth Rudetsky's Disaster! had a few different songs in its Broadway run compared to off-Broadway because of rights issues.
There are a couple that I’m not surprised to see removed (Smells Like Teen Spirit is the big one to me), but it’s the inclusion of some pretty recent songs that seems a little off.

Top Bottom