MuppetVision 3D Issues

I saw Phillharmagic about two weeks ago and it was almost unwatchable. For some reason, one lens was much darker than the other and it messed up the 3D. I thought I'd just gotten a broken pair of glasses at first but I heard nearly everyone around me murmuring the same thing throughout the show. The glasses looked normal when the show ended so I think the projection was messed up. It's a shame, I really like Phillharmagic.

geekza

I think you mean it uses 70mm for projection. It was rendered in a computer obviously. There's no film negative to scan. They just have to re-render the original movie in 4k resolution. I think it's more likely we'll see an updated film with new sequences (Tangled, Frozen, Moana).
Obviously. However, they knew it would be projected on 70mm, so created the animation with that kind of detail in mind. It wasn't a situation like Fantasia 2000, which was not originally intended for IMAX and was blown up after the fact. As for re-rendering it, it would really depend upon whether or not they still had the original assets and whether or not those assets are even usable in their current software environment. I know they ran into a problem when they went to create the Blu-ray of Snow White because the original system they used to scan in the film for its initial digital restoration was no longer in use and they had to find a way to access the original image files. Hopefully, they learned a lesson from this and have converted any digital files to modern equivalents, but you might be surprised. From the reports of how the current digital projection has imperfections you'd normally see with a film print, it sounds like all they did was scan in a 70mm film element and create digital video files from that. There's nothing wrong with that. That's how we have digital versions of anything that was original created on film. The quality of the resulting transfer, however, depends upon the type of film element that was used (OCN, IP, IN, or at the bottom, projection print). Any film element that is scanned would need some form of digital clean-up to account for dust, scratches, fading, etc. It doesn't sound like Disney did that for Philharmagic. I don't have current first-hand experience with seeing it, so others will have to throw in their experiences.

geekza

I saw Phillharmagic about two weeks ago and it was almost unwatchable. For some reason, one lens was much darker than the other and it messed up the 3D. I thought I'd just gotten a broken pair of glasses at first but I heard nearly everyone around me murmuring the same thing throughout the show. The glasses looked normal when the show ended so I think the projection was messed up. It's a shame, I really like Phillharmagic.
It sounds like the polarizing filter on one of the projectors was out of alignment.

ppete1975

The last Muppet TV show may have been longer running if they had just copied the format of the old Muppet show. Variety show is the niche that America's Got Talent partially fills, but there is still more room in that crack. At least they didn't have the Muppets update a house and sell it or surprise some family. It seems like that niche is overflowing.
actually a home improvement show with the muppets sounds hilarious, theyd start with a house that needed updated and end up with rubble.. or they could do one of those shows where they come to your home to remodel one room... and the hijinks begin

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Bugs life is in a bad way too. Last time I watched you quite literally could see nothing on the screen, it was just a haze with faint outlines of characters. They really need to be able to budget for new projectors, its like the cheapest part of the entire damn attraction hardware.

Bug's Life was fine when I went a week ago.

I noticed Philharmagic seemed a bit off, though. Is it still on film? I swear I see little tiny splots every now and then. Not as bad as O' Canada though.

Rk2k5

When I saw it around a few weeks ago everything seemed to be working fine but I hope that they won’t completly get rid of it but just update the show/redue it

Magenta Panther

Muppetvision is still suffering. One projector has failed and needs to be replaced. Until that replacement arrives (which is imminent) the show is running slightly mis-matched projectors.

Rest assured it has not gone unnoticed.

'Kay. What about Philharmagic's issues? Are they being addressed?

Kman101

I'm more curious overall where PhilharMagic stays in the grand scheme of things. Updates to the movie? Same movie for the next 20 years? (It's going to Paris, after all, yet we've had the attraction for well over a decade now). Seems odd to me. I love PhilharMagic, it's really not a priority to be fixed or changed but it seems "easy" enough to update it?

Again, shouldn't be high on the priority list at this point though. Just wondering out loud what the future may be for it.

geekza

I never realized that only the center was 3D until Martin mentioned it. Pretty effective use of visual trickery on Imagineering's part!

Kman101

Eh. I like it the way it is and would prefer that they just properly maintain it.

I'd imagine the only way it even gets funding for anything is through the inclusion of IP. It's already a show full of IP though, so either it becomes just one IP or they add newer ones, thereby updating it but including new IP. Looking forward to someday getting more details on this potential change/refresh.

PizzaPlanet

I'd imagine the only way it even gets funding for anything is through the inclusion of IP. It's already a show full of IP though, so either it becomes just one IP or they add newer ones, thereby updating it but including new IP. Looking forward to someday getting more details on this potential change/refresh.
I see what you're saying, but maintaining the quality of the projectors and keeping the show from being blurry shouldn't count as additional funding.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom