Muppet Vision 3D - New Projection Effect

datbates

Based on the videos it's almost certainly digital projection, but projection mapping implies the 3D projection surface is accounted for and taken advantage of, e.g. projections on the castle, which is not the case here.
It is still projection mapping in that they take into account the areas on the walls that they should not project on (like the box seats). They probably realized that since they were using video projectors to do the walls now anyway (instead of I assumed slide projectors in the past), why not do better Waldos. ;-)

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It's so weird to me that they keep investing in this "attraction". I realize it's a people eater and it's fairly low cost to operate but It's really not all that popular with guests.
Go Away GIF

;)

TrainsOfDisney

It's so weird to me that they keep investing in this "attraction". I realize it's a people eater and it's fairly low cost to operate but It's really not all that popular with guests.
I’m a guest and it’s popular with me. Not only do I love the muppets and the historical nature of the attraction (Jim Henson etc.) - it’s also the only attraction left that I did when I first visited my first Disney park as a kid.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
More of this kind of thing all over the parks, please!
For the love of Walt, please stop using projection mapping all over the parks. Effective uses are limited and they've burned through those and are well onto the list of "Places it shouldn't be used". @MisterPenguin at some point a while back had listed out 8 or 9 "effects" that Disney has in its bag of tricks, and they insist on overusing 2 or 3 of them. Color changing LEDs and projection mapping are two that have been used to death already. I already don't care for it on the castle. Don't even get me started on the abomination that is projection mapping on my beloved Hollywood Tower Hotel...

IMHO, of course.

Andrew25

For the love of Walt, please stop using projection mapping all over the parks. Effective uses are limited and they've burned through those and are well onto the list of "Places it shouldn't be used". @MisterPenguin at some point a while back had listed out 8 or 9 "effects" that Disney has in its bag of tricks, and they insist on overusing 2 or 3 of them. Color changing LEDs and projection mapping are two that have been used to death already. I already don't care for it on the castle. Don't even get me started on the abomination that is projection mapping on my beloved Hollywood Tower Hotel...

IMHO, of course.

Depends how they use it, but projections like these are a benefit. Not a fan of ToT's projections, but on simple effects like this it works.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

IMHO, of course.
Hmmm... I guess you won't be keen on making the castle walls just giants LED screens then...

pdude81

We don't know what the long term plan is for Disney and the Muppets, but a cheap (to maintain) ride with high capacity is a win for all parties.

As for ride popularity, do you mean ratings or wait times?

In the Parks
No
I love this attraction. It was one of my favorites growing up, so I'm super glad they're investing in it.

Now...not saying this would or could or even should happen, but is anyone opposed to the idea of moving MuppetVision to replace the Lightning McQueen show if a RNRC Muppets retheme happens?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Have they cleaned or replaced the seats yet?
If they haven’t yet, and I don’t recall it being mentioned, I hope it’s happening soon. Those seats were in rough shape a year ago when we were there. And needed replacing several years before that.

hopemax

On Sunday, the seats in our row and the rows close to us were in rough shape. If they are working on seats, they haven't gotten very far.

MrPromey

IMHO, of course.
:oops:

I just meant subtle plussing/upgrades/love to existing stuff that isn't named Haunted Mansion.

You know - stuff like this, finally getting that lift hill package for BTM, finally getting those upgrades for Peter Pan, etc...

This particular thing is just an updating/modernizing of an effect this show used to have, anyway.

But more broadly, I meant stuff that improves the general guest experience without being an up-charge or a heavily marketed new "experience" - the sort of stuff we used to just kind of expect rather than get excited about but that current management in recent years has seen little value investing in.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Fun Fact to share for those who may not be aware….

‘MuppetVision 3D’, the film itself, was the very last film directed by Jim Henson.
It was also his final Muppets related project, and the last time he performed as Kermit on the big screen.

I would LIKE to think that part of the reason this Attraction has managed to not be removed is because of those meaningful facts and the historical importance.

It is still a great Show.
A lot happening around you, with many different elements coming together nicely.
And it’s funny, too!

Long live MuppetVision 3D..!!

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom