Mummy vs. E.E.

BrerRabbit512

Original Poster
Sorry if this has been posted in the past...I'm a huge Disney fan, and I'm sorry to say this...but i personally feel that Expedition Everest isn't going to be as great as the Mummy. The Mummy ride is absolutely amazing with all the effects and everything used in it. Disney is going to do a great job in presenting EE, but I feel that it won't outdo the Mummy. Does anyone else feel this way?

CAPTAIN HOOK

Michael72688 said:
All he is saying is that Disney is going to have to really do something spectacular to out do the Mummy, which I agree with.
And as nobody on these boards has any idea what EE will be like I suggest that the thread is closed until such time that people have ridden EE and can say Wow - I thought The Mummy was good - but EE beats it hands down :lol:

DLMAGICDARREN

I agree, it's silly to debate until the ride is experianced by riders. I am a huge fan of the Mummy but it's not perfect, and EE probably won't be either, but I do beleive EE will be a great ride. Whether it will beat Mummy or not remains to be seen.

Does anyone know the budget for Mummy and propsed/expected budget for E.E?

Does anyone know what areas percentages were spent eg. 20% line theming etc...

I can't help but feel Universal out does Disney on line theming hands down which is huge for me. You experience and enjoy the ride before you're even on it... now that's great planning. Most of Disney's lines seem like they're scattred with props people would associate with the ride but the story/experience never begins with the line!

E.G compare T2-3D battle across time with Honey I shrunk the audience. How cool are the videos and "lobby" of Cyberdyne, compare that to the inventor of the year awards... pffft!! Or E.T with Peter pan!!!

johnvree

Kid 1: My Mummy can beat up your Yeti.

Kid 2: No way, my Yeti is bigger than your Mummy and would win in a fight.

Kid 1: But my Mummy is much older and . . .

Adult: STOP! Both are great and be thankful you have two great attractions within 40 minutes of each other.

The_CEO

Julius & Boobah said:
E.G compare T2-3D battle across time with Honey I shrunk the audience. How cool are the videos and "lobby" of Cyberdyne, compare that to the inventor of the year awards... pffft!! Or E.T with Peter pan!!!

Here is where you forget that each attraction is designed to tell unique story, not to out-do the competitor.

gniko21

gniko21

As far as line theming is concerned, I think we need to consider the fact that Universal was built after most of Disney's rides were already in place. Most of Disney's more recent attractions have extensive theming, Tower of Terror & Rock 'n' RollerCoaster are good examples. And, I'm confident Expedition Everest will outdo them all, line theming included. It's hard to top Disney. They invented the game.

Ralph Wiggum

Account Suspended
gniko21 said:
It's hard to top Disney. They invented the game.

yet examples of it are quite evident. AK has an incredible queue with Kali Rapids, but a horrible ride. IOA (and for the most part, UO) has a better blend of storytelling throughout the queues and the attractions themselves.

slappy magoo

I just got back from the future in my Professor Peabody way-back machine. EE is just as good as the Mummy, no better, no worse. Oh, and Dakota Fanning is in rehab.

Lynx04

gniko21 said:
They invented the game.

Just because you invent something doesn't mean you are the best at it. One is completely irrelavent to the other.

EE looks great and can't wait to ride it, but when I go on it I am not going to be a critic, take my clipboard and start grading it to see if it is or is not better than mummy, because I just don't care. As long as they are both good attractions, does it really matter which is better?

DarkMeasures

I am sorry to say, but there is no way Mummy will be better than Everest. I mean lets first of all compare the budgets.

Mummy was built for less than 80 million and happens to be Universal's most expensive attraction yet.

Everest will be at over 100 million dollars and will feature a line built to the quality of Indiana Jones and Dueling Dragons. But besides that, the ride itself will be built to a quality that until now, only Tokyo Disney has seen.

Besides that, Mummy wasn't that great to begin with. It is a great ride but the theming and the story left much to be desired. (Especially the line, if someone can explain how that is a detailed line, I will be happy because that line pales to Dueling Dragon's).

Legacy

DarkMeasures said:
I am sorry to say, but there is no way Mummy will be better than Everest. I mean lets first of all compare the budgets.

Mummy was built for less than 80 million and happens to be Universal's most expensive attraction yet.

Everest will be at over 100 million dollars and will feature a line built to the quality of Indiana Jones and Dueling Dragons. But besides that, the ride itself will be built to a quality that until now, only Tokyo Disney has seen.

Besides that, Mummy wasn't that great to begin with. It is a great ride but the theming and the story left much to be desired. (Especially the line, if someone can explain how that is a detailed line, I will be happy because that line pales to Dueling Dragon's).
Let me play devil's advocate on one point.

Mummy was built for about 45 million because the 80 was split between the two coast. Mission: SPACE was over 120 million. I am sure many people (including myself) would consider that 45 million dollar attraction takes the cake hands-down in comparison to the 120 million dollar goliath. If budgets were a huge symbol of greatness, than why does Peter Pan still have hour long waits?

dxwwf3

Well first things first, Peter Pan has long waits because of capacity and the average theme park guest thinks that a long line = a good ride. Where experienced guests look to avoid lines, first timers go looking for them.

I rode ROTM again on this trip and I was going to try and give it a second chance. I walked away from it the first time thinking that it was good, but not great. And after riding it 2 more times, I must say that I don't even think it's good anymore. I wouldn't wait 10 minutes to ride it again. It was fun the first few times, but it just doesn't do anything for me anymore. The themeing is good, the animatronics are good, and the queue isn't bad. But if the actual ride is lacking and sometimes boring, then it doesn't matter. Universal used to have the attraction timed perfectly, but now you can see the fire in the treasure room before you leave Imhotep's spiel. And you can also clearly see the treasure room when you are dropping backwards after the LAME scarab room. Not to mention you can see the ending where Imhotep's face blows smoke right in front of you before you go into the burning ceiling room. When the timing is off like this, it can totally ruin the ride. Actually it seems that quality is becoming less and less important to the suits over at Universal. I don't think I'll be back in quite a few years.

I am starting to get a little tired of Mission Space, but I would take it over ROTM any day of the week. And if EE doesn't blow the socks off of ROTM, it would be a huge disapointment for Disney and the AK in general.

DarkMeasures

Legacy said:
Let me play devil's advocate on one point.

Mummy was built for about 45 million because the 80 was split between the two coast. Mission: SPACE was over 120 million. I am sure many people (including myself) would consider that 45 million dollar attraction takes the cake hands-down in comparison to the 120 million dollar goliath. If budgets were a huge symbol of greatness, than why does Peter Pan still have hour long waits?

But there is no reason for Everest to dissapoint with its budget. I mean take note on the super expensive Tokyo rides. Those don't dissapoint, they excede expectations. I do find Mission space much better than Mummy though. Mission Space is definitly in my top 5 favorite attractions. (though, it didn't have the money needed to do the stuff outside of the ride right).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom