Mt. St. Helens

xfkirsten

Original Poster
It's the biggest eruption since it became active again last year... had a steam cloud some 36,000 feet into the air. :)

xfkirsten

Original Poster
Yeah, news stations outside the Northwest seem to be very slow on the pickup. I think AP only posted their story about 20 minutes ago, and the eruption started around 5:45 PST. That's why I read Fark - they're faster than waiting to hear it on the news. ;)

xfkirsten

Original Poster
It's definitely still active. They say that at any time there could be an eruption large enough to spread ash in a ten-mile radius. Of course, that's no where near as big as the eruption of 1980, but it's still fairly big.

pinkrose

xfkirsten said:
It's definitely still active. They say that at any time there could be an eruption large enough to spread ash in a ten-mile radius. Of course, that's no where near as big as the eruption of 1980, but it's still fairly big.

I remember the eruption in 1980. Ash even made it's way down here.

xfkirsten

Original Poster
pinkrose said:
I remember the eruption in 1980. Ash even made it's way down here.

It was a couple of years before I was born, but my parents have stories of coming outside and finding their car completely covered in ash.

EmeraldDolphin

I had heard about it & seen pictures on the news yesterday... I still find it sooo fascinating & amazing!! My sister lives in Medford, OR & during the 1980 eruption her car was totally covered with ashes also. I remember it screwed up our summer here in CT that year too... it was cold & they said it was due to the eruption.

tigger248

I feel incredibly uninformed, but Mt. St. Helen's is erupting again?!? I hadn't heard that until this thread (stupid mid-terms taking up all of my time... :zipit: ).

Too bad the camera must be busted now, because all I saw was static. I wanna see the lava!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom