Mt. St. Helens

tigsmom

Advertisement
Hadn't heard about it.

xfkirsten

Original Poster
It's the biggest eruption since it became active again last year... had a steam cloud some 36,000 feet into the air. :)

Foolish Mortal

Premium Member
Whoa !!! Hadn't heard about it until I read this and of course none of the numerous news channels are talking about it now.

xfkirsten

Original Poster
Yeah, news stations outside the Northwest seem to be very slow on the pickup. I think AP only posted their story about 20 minutes ago, and the eruption started around 5:45 PST. That's why I read Fark - they're faster than waiting to hear it on the news. ;)

Figment1986

wow...i just heard about it a litle bit ago... is this baby still active... or going abck to sleep again?

xfkirsten

Original Poster
It's definitely still active. They say that at any time there could be an eruption large enough to spread ash in a ten-mile radius. Of course, that's no where near as big as the eruption of 1980, but it's still fairly big.

pinkrose

xfkirsten said:
It's definitely still active. They say that at any time there could be an eruption large enough to spread ash in a ten-mile radius. Of course, that's no where near as big as the eruption of 1980, but it's still fairly big.
I remember the eruption in 1980. Ash even made it's way down here.

xfkirsten

Original Poster
pinkrose said:
I remember the eruption in 1980. Ash even made it's way down here.
It was a couple of years before I was born, but my parents have stories of coming outside and finding their car completely covered in ash.

pinkrose

xfkirsten said:
It was a couple of years before I was born, but my parents have stories of coming outside and finding their car completely covered in ash.
I feel so old. :cry:

EmeraldDolphin

I had heard about it & seen pictures on the news yesterday... I still find it sooo fascinating & amazing!! My sister lives in Medford, OR & during the 1980 eruption her car was totally covered with ashes also. I remember it screwed up our summer here in CT that year too... it was cold & they said it was due to the eruption.

tigger248

I feel incredibly uninformed, but Mt. St. Helen's is erupting again?!? I hadn't heard that until this thread (stupid mid-terms taking up all of my time... :zipit: ).

Too bad the camera must be busted now, because all I saw was static. I wanna see the lava!

stranger

tigger248 said:
Too bad the camera must be busted now, because all I saw was static. I wanna see the lava!
I think the picture looks that way because it's night...It was clear this morning.

Top Bottom