MSEP Returns

George Lucas on a Bench

I’m not sure why people think it’s coming back because of GE. The parade floats were brought on property on 06/20/19. This was before reservations to GE ended.

Everyone seems to be attributing literally everything to Galaxy Edge.

Soarin' Over California back? It's because of Galaxy Edge.

Absolutely no one in the resort? It's Galaxy Edge.

Electrical Parade? Galaxy Edge.

Broken bats and explosion sfx on Thunder Mountain all year? Gotta be Galaxy Edge.

rodserling27

My God, I am going to have a heart attack. I literally just got back from DL 9 days ago. And now they pull this on me. At first I thought the Parks Blog said it was coming to MK (I'll be there end of August). But then quickly realized it was DL. UGH! I wish this had been announced earlier, I totally would have moved my trip from June (to see SW:GE) to August, no questions asked.
The MSEP is my absolute favorite thing in the entire universe. DARN IT!

Although...yeah, the old music cannot be beaten, and they seriously need to fully refurbish the whole parade. Update it, use some new technology and lighting, add some more floats...I wouldn't mind the DreamLights treatment. Then please bring a version of that to WDW too. :p

jrhwdw

My God, I am going to have a heart attack. I literally just got back from DL 9 days ago. And now they pull this on me. At first I thought the Parks Blog said it was coming to MK (I'll be there end of August). But then quickly realized it was DL. UGH! I wish this had been announced earlier, I totally would have moved my trip from June (to see SW:GE) to August, no questions asked.

Although...yeah, the old music cannot be beaten, and they seriously need to fully refurbish the whole parade. Update it, use some new technology and lighting, add some more floats...I wouldn't mind the DreamLights treatment. Then please bring a version of that to WDW too. :p
MSEP going back to MK would have been the best news I've heard all week!!!!@ However, if that happened. DL wouldn't have had anything to soften the Soundsational news.

brb1006

MSEP doesn't deserve to return to WDW after knowing it was originally planned to only run for the Summer of 2010 and Spectromagic was planned to return. But MSEP stayed longer than it was originally planned.

BubbaQuest

I'm wondering if MSEP has more to do with Soundsational's sudden closing on July 17th than SWGE?

That's weird. Just heard a radio ad this week promoting Soundsational.

I can't believe they are bringing back MSEP. What's next, discount admissions? Oh wait....edible food?

FerretAfros

Just to really drive home the point of how freaking old this parade is, I dug up this old video for a friend and figured it was worth sharing here too:

Get it!? Neutron Dance...New Tron Dance! It's easy to see where DCA1.0's punny naming conventions got their start!

As laughably dated as this video is in 2019, it's worth remembering that there haven't been any major additions to the parade since before it was made. Sure there have been some tweaks along the way (swapping the Blue Fairy for Tinkerbell, new music, etc.), but the biggest change of note is simply how many units have been cut over the years. What used to be a massive spectacle is now a quick affair that passes by (even at a crawling speed) in just a couple minutes. But as long as guests continue to soil themselves every time they see those same rickety old floats jiggle their way down the street, TDA has no real incentive to put on a show that meets modern standards.

HoldenC

MSEP going back to MK would have been the best news I've heard all week!!!!
Seriously? You would have been thrilled if a parade than ran on round three for six years, and has been gone for nearly three, returned to the MK? Are our standards for Magic Kingdom that low?? I loved the parade when it was here, don't get me wrong, but don't you think it is sad to clamor for the old? That is why TDO feels they can get away with giving us hand-me-down entertainment. How laughable would MSEP look next to HEA?

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
After all these years, I still can't believe how negative people on this site are when it comes to the MSEP. Yes it's old and probably outdated, but it's a classic.

When I heard the news about this I was shocked, and then ecstatic to hear that the parade would be running while I'm at Disneyland in August. Can't wait to see it again.

brb1006

After all these years, I still can't believe how negative people on this site are when it comes to the MSEP. Yes it's old and probably outdated, but it's a classic.

When I heard the news about this I was shocked, and then ecstatic to hear that the parade would be running while I'm at Disneyland in August. Can't wait to see it again.
We appreciate MSEP, but knowing that an almost 50 year old parade is still allowed to run compared to Disney's newer electrical parades made between the 1990's (Fantillusion, Spectromagic), 2001 (Dreamlights) 2014/2015, (Paint The Night) makes the parade stick out like a sore thumb.

jrhwdw

Seriously? You would have been thrilled if a parade than ran on round three for six years, and has been gone for nearly three, returned to the MK? Are our standards for Magic Kingdom that low?? I loved the parade when it was here, don't get me wrong, but don't you think it is sad to clamor for the old? That is why TDO feels they can get away with giving us hand-me-down entertainment. How laughable would MSEP look next to HEA?
It's better than what TDO has now: No Night Parade! How do you feel about MSEP next to DL Forever in August?

brb1006

For those that never seen Disney's other electrical parades from outside of Disneyland and WDW since MSEP. Here's Fantillusion in it's original form before they shortened it once it moved to Paris. The parade was actually made from the same team that made Fantasmic. Fantillusion was originally exclusive to Tokyo and replaced Tokyo Disneyland Electrical Parade between 1995-2001.

Tokyo's version of the Main Street Electrical Parade ("Tokyo Disneyland Electrical Parade") was notably unchanged but some of the floats had a different design compared to the other versions. Their version of MSEP lasted from 1985-1995

Like Dreamlights, it also had a Christmas versions but didn't have Christmas decorations. Disneyland Paris also had a Christmas version of the parade and Walt Disney World for a brief period in the late 1990s.

After Fantillusion left Tokyo, OLC decided to make a modernized version of the parade which debuted later in 2001 known as "Tokyo Disneyland Electrical Parade Dreamlights". Complete with a new soundtrack and floats. Dreamlights is also the first electrical parade to featured Pixar characters predating Paint The Night.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom