Mr. Toad

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
toad-in-the-hole.jpg

It wasnt an insult just a suggestion, and as I didn't quote you why would you think I am aiming the comment at you? :shrug:

KCBear

Mr. Toad will always hold a special place in my heart. Mostly because it scarred me for life when I was about 3 years old!

I was 100% convinced I was driving that car, and the lives of my whole family was in my hands. When I saw that train, my heart was about ready to jump out of my chest! My parents tell me I was shaking when we got off the ride. And of course they were dying with laughter the whole time.

So yeah, it may be cheesy and silly by today's standard. But to a 3 year old in 1982.... it was the thing nightmares are made of!

Of course now, I would give anything to go on it again. ;)

MerlinTheGoat

Didn't they do that already?
"DINOSAUR" ?

Dinosaur is nothing like Toad. It uses an identical ride tech to Indy in California and is not exactly suitable for very small kids. I was saying the technology should be scaled down to small vehicles that fit 2-4 people, and the ride system made less intense for little kids, but still retain the type of manic fast paced feel of the original. Having a new ride system and modern scenery and characters could make Toad feel new again.

kev24135

Original Poster
toad-in-the-hole.jpg

It wasnt an insult just a suggestion, and as I didn't quote you why would you think I am aiming the comment at you? :shrug:

alright its my thread, and u responded so i assume u were talking to me and it sounds like u were.....and a pic of some sausages still does not explain what your "suggestion" was....i dont get the toad in the hole food thing, so unless im missing something:wave:

stratman50th

Dinosaur is nothing like Toad. It uses an identical ride tech to Indy in California and is not exactly suitable for very small kids. I was saying the technology should be scaled down to small vehicles that fit 2-4 people, and the ride system made less intense for little kids, but still retain the type of manic fast paced feel of the original. Having a new ride system and modern scenery and characters could make Toad feel new again.
Well, first off, regardless of the fact that it's the same as the Indiana Jones ride, It still matches the description you provided in the earlier post. The ride vehicle is bigger, and the ride is longer, but everything else fits.
Second, calm down, don't take this stuff so seriously:eek:
It's only the internet and I was joking. ;)

Scuttle

maybe its just me but mr. toads wild ride looks boring, and poorly done. that being said i never got to ride it, ive just seen videos. Why did people like it?...probly asking for trouble with this thread hehe:goodnevil

Because it was Snow White's Scary Adventures on steroids. It was a very fun ride. Miss it everytime I ride Pooh. I do like Pooh, but nothing was Toad.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
alright its my thread, and u responded so i assume u were talking to me and it sounds like u were.....and a pic of some sausages still does not explain what your "suggestion" was....i dont get the toad in the hole food thing, so unless im missing something:wave:

Your missing the big picture

dave&di

'Toad in the Hole' is a dish made of Yorkshire Pudding batter with sausages in.

Chrononymous

I still to this day don't know what it is...that made Mr. Toad so damn fun.

I think there is somehting almost creepy and slightly sinister about low tech painted cutout rides in the first place. It's like those cheap dark rides created for tiny amusement parks, and the garish neon paint and blacklight.

And also... in the days where Disney was almost the epitome of "PC family fun" you got this ride about a toad who steals a car, goes for a joyride, gets hit by a train and goes to hell...I mean, seriously...not even lusty pirates with female slave auctions can beat Grand Theft Auto and Horrible Death!

Somewhere I have an old DL souvenir book from the 70's that has a picture of nuns riding Mr. Toad. It just drips with delicious irony.

irishdude

Why do people like it? Simple answer, because it's gone. Think about it this way, most people look fondly on their teenage years. But when you ask those individuals whether they would wish to go back, most would say no because those years sucked. People over remember the good times while they erase the bad times.

Disney Dawg88

I still to this day don't know what it is...that made Mr. Toad so damn fun.

I think there is somehting almost creepy and slightly sinister about low tech painted cutout rides in the first place. It's like those cheap dark rides created for tiny amusement parks, and the garish neon paint and blacklight.

And also... in the days where Disney was almost the epitome of "PC family fun" you got this ride about a toad who steals a car, goes for a joyride, gets hit by a train and goes to hell...I mean, seriously...not even lusty pirates with female slave auctions can beat Grand Theft Auto and Horrible Death!

Somewhere I have an old DL souvenir book from the 70's that has a picture of nuns riding Mr. Toad. It just drips with delicious irony.

Great post. This is exactly how I feel about it . . . I don't know what it is either. I just remember as a kid wanting to ride this over and over again. I miss it a lot.

Clamman73

I always thought it was a fun ride when I was a kid. I enjoyed being able to use the steering wheel as if I was actually turning the vehicle. Also, the train at the end always freaked me out a bit...But that was 30 yrs ago...I might not have the same reaction to it today if it was still around.

kev24135

Original Poster
Why do people like it? Simple answer, because it's gone. Think about it this way, most people look fondly on their teenage years. But when you ask those individuals whether they would wish to go back, most would say no because those years sucked. People over remember the good times while they erase the bad times.

very true IMO

Krack

I disagree. I could come up with a list of attractions that could disappear tomorrow and nobody would care (Stitch's Great Escape, most of Dinoland, Sounds Dangerous, etc). Alternatively, there are attractions that are gone for over a decade that people still remember fondly; Mr Toad, for whatever reason, is on that list.

When I was little I didn't like roller coasters and Mr Toad's Wild Ride was thrilling for me lol. I miss it =(

... and, imho, this is the primary reason.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Ironically DL hosts the original and what I consider the modern equivalent...Roger Rabbit's CarToon Spin. It's quite sad we never got that ride here at WDW.

Also, was DL's a day one attraction, or did it open later?

Clever Name

Excellent point! It goes a lot deeper. Toad was touched by the hand of Walt and that makes it extra special. There is a group of obsessive compulsive Disney lovers that cringe at the very thought of anything that Walt touched being removed or changed in any way. The Tiki Room, IASW, CoP, CBJ and Jungle Cruise are all great examples. These attractions are all way past their prime and should have been removed or replaced many years ago. But, they were touched by the hand of Walt so don’t you dare even suggest changing or removing them. As a result we’re stuck with the junk and Walt is rolling over in his grave.

The Empress Lilly

Excellent point! It goes a lot deeper. Toad was touched by the hand of Walt and that makes it extra special. There is a group of obsessive compulsive Disney lovers that cringe at the very thought of anything that Walt touched being removed or changed in any way. The Tiki Room, IASW, CoP, CBJ and Jungle Cruise are all great examples. These attractions are all way past their prime and should have been removed or replaced many years ago. But, they were touched by the hand of Walt so don’t you dare even suggest changing or removing them. As a result we’re stuck with the junk and Walt is rolling over in his grave.
Point taken. ;)

However, two remarks:

I think Jungle Cruise and IASW are genuinily great attractions.

Nostalgia is as much part of the Disney experience as futurism and fantasy. Mind that Walt had build an entire street remniniscent of his hometown, his youth. Sheer nostalgia galore. So I wouldn't be too sure that Walt would not have recognised the value of nostalgia for the parks. (Not that I think trying to read Walt's spirit is the most relevant way to look at the modern parks)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom