Moving to Orlando?

DisneyJoe

Then there is a lot more to do here, go to the beach on the weekends or hit the theme parks and don't have to be in a rush just hit a couple of rides or go to dinner.

Well, again, this is all relative - I live less than an hour from the beach and boardwalks and rides in NJ, and a little over an hour from Six Flags Great Adventure and about 2 hours or so from Hershey Park. We can also get to the Pocono mountains fairly easy for winter sports.

I have fairly easy access to NYC, Philadelphia and Baltimore.

But I will give you the constant weather - although your summers are VERY hot in comparison.

MissM

Generally speaking (and the current conditions not withstanding) how is the IT market (security, specifically) in Tampa?
Rough. IT is really tough here in the Tampa area. Love's an IT guy (hardware/network kinda side but still) and he sticks with his job despite hating it and despite it not being anything impressive salary-wise just because it's rough out there. :(

draybook

Did someone say low property taxes in Florida?

I was shocked at the prices on houses in Kississmee. I've been trying to talk my wife into moving down there. I work for Cardinal Health and we have sites down there, so transferring would be easy.

Crockett

Banned
Areas such as Orlando/Kissimmee will have much tougher job markets due not so much to the economy, but the influx of people flocking down to live in those desirable areas. (I remember reading about population problems back in '02). Too many bodies flooding in...not enough job openings to fill them. Not saying it cannot be done. But the influx is expected to grow every year. Can I blame them? Who wouldn't want to be neighbors with WDW? :)

Be patient when it comes to jobs down there. Keep in mind there are beyond overwhelming numbers of people with the same Orlando spark in their eye moving down daily. Best of luck either way.

Markz

To go with what everyone else is saying, the Orlando job market is awful and getting worse. On a positive, houses can be found for ultra cheap.

I concur, my father is in the process of buying a house in Kissimee.

The price tag is around 145 000$, 3 years ago, the house was worth 330 000$

We are Canadian so right now is the perfect time to buy... Canadian dollars are worth about as much as American dollars.

The mortage rate is insanly low, when compared to our average rates.

Same goes for the tax rates. Here in Montreal (suburbs of), we used to pay around 7 000$ in taxes every year (school, water and municipal taxes). That amounts to about 600$ per month just in taxes. In Kissimmee, the annual taxes we would have to pay is around 800$... per YEAR, which is a complete joke to us overtaxed canadiens :king:

Anyhow, it is a great time to buy propriety in Florida, especially around WDW!

SuperSaint

I have been considering it for several years now. I'm young, unmarried, and just starting my career as a teacher.

That's my first problem, trying to be a teacher. There's less jobs in that than most other fields...

But most people who seriously look for a job find something, I believe, sometimes it just takes longer than others. I just hope the teaching market starts to boom down there one day..

SleepingMonk

I have been considering it for several years now. I'm young, unmarried, and just starting my career as a teacher.

That's my first problem, trying to be a teacher. There's less jobs in that than most other fields...

But most people who seriously look for a job find something, I believe, sometimes it just takes longer than others. I just hope the teaching market starts to boom down there one day..

Bilingual, grad degree and above, ESL experience?

Check those off and you'll have no problem finding a job.

gnuts0306

WOW...seems as though everyone has the same idea lol.....Im in the restaurant business and Ive been applying for jobs in the area for months now...its hard to apply for jobs from out of state! Im in WI so running to a quick interview is not so easy lol ...Good Luck to all...maybe we will be neighbors some day!

wedway71

Bilingual, grad degree and above, ESL experience?

Check those off and you'll have no problem finding a job.

True... Wife and I moved to Indy after our entire lives in Florida(moved at 35)..

She has a Master's in ESL(They call it ESOL up here).. She is also certified in ESL, with now 5 years experience. She also is being looked at to run the ENTIRE ESL program in our school system...

She has her Resume' on many sites(you never know)and she gets hard core job offers all the time.... Lee, Charlotte, Collier, Broward, Dade, and more

chama1

Moving to Orlando

It's true the real estate market is great. Homes that were purchased for over $300,000 during the "market boom" are now worth $100,000 or less but cost of living has gotten much higher. Jobs, with a salary you can live on, are very hard to come by here and the "experts" claim it will be another 4-5 years before it starts to get better. I'd wait until Florida's economy gets better, besides Disney is not going anywhere. Good Luck.

rangerbob

I can tell you first hand that the IT field in Orlando is tough right now. I work for a school district and they are going to be cutting a bunch of tech's from the district. I don't know how many but I wouldn't be suprised if there were 40-50 people out of a job in the next few weeks or are already looking for a position. We have all already been notified that our position at the school is cut but waiting to hear if we got a position in the district slots.

CP_alum08

South Florida alone just 'pink-slipped' THOUSANDS of teachers!! Not all of them will completely loose their jobs of course, but being laid off is almost just as bad. I think someone else mentioned it too, being bilingual in Florida is a gigantic advantage in any field, but especially teaching.

Crockett

Banned
South Florida alone just 'pink-slipped' THOUSANDS of teachers!! Not all of them will completely loose their jobs of course, but being laid off is almost just as bad. I think someone else mentioned it too, being bilingual in Florida is a gigantic advantage in any field, but especially teaching.
Regardless though, teaching is a very popular field right now for young H.S. graduates. In my local county alone, 68% of females graduating H.S. this yr will be going into education / childhood development as their college major.

DisneyJoe

Regardless though, teaching is a very popular field right now for young H.S. graduates. In my local county alone, 68% of females graduating H.S. this yr will be going into education / childhood development as their college major.

The issue is, will there be a job for them when they graduate college?

Many states are cutting / balancing budgets, and many are cutting teachers and educational programs in that effort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom