Moving to Orlando?

hwdelien

Original Poster
I was recently told by my employer that my position is being eliminated (in reality it's being outsourced). My last day is July 15th and then I'll be treated to 18 weeks of severance.

I'm thinking this is an excellent opportunity to realize my dream of becoming a Florida resident and WDW annual passholder.

Anyone know any good IT headhunters in the Orlando area?

DocMcHulk

I was recently told by my employer that my position is being eliminated (in reality it's being outsourced). My last day is July 15th and then I'll be treated to 18 weeks of severance.

I'm thinking this is an excellent opportunity to realize my dream of becoming a Florida resident and WDW annual passholder.

Anyone know any good IT headhunters in the Orlando area?

I too have a similar question. My time/pay is being cut by 25% and my wife and I are looking at moving to Florida (we had been planning on moving in 2015). I consider myself an "entry level" IT guy.

bgraham34

My buddy was trying to get an IT job in Orlando. His Wife is from there and they wanted to move back but he had no luck for 6 months. He said the market is tough down there so he is staying with his current company and just waiting. I am in IT as well and the ever changing scene is not good. My company is outsourcing so much its unbelievable.

SyracuseOrange

I can't answer the question about IT, but good luck to both of you. I want to move down to the Orlando area one day too, so I can visit WDW whenever I please.

CP_alum08

I don't live in Orlando, but about 3 hours south in Ft. Lauderdale. I can speak for the entire state though, when I say jobs aren't easy to come by. FL is pretty bad right now when it comes to unemployment so just take that into consideration.

I moved from MI (another terrible economy) about a year ago. My GF had a great job lined up...it took me about 4 months to find something bearable. Not even in my field.

The weather is fantastic though! I noticed you were from PA, definitely a drastic and nice change. I find the people in Orlando to be pretty nice too. Not like down here, I'm still used to that great mid-west hospitality, ha. Getting a stranger to smile at you or hold the door here is like winning the lottery.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

I don't live in Orlando, but about 3 hours south in Ft. Lauderdale. I can speak for the entire state though, when I say jobs aren't easy to come by. FL is pretty bad right now when it comes to unemployment so just take that into consideration.

I can confirm what CP says above. I am three hours south except on the West coast in Ft. Myers. While things have improved slightly in the last 12-18 months it is still a very difficult market.

Just keep trying and something is bound to open up. Good luck to you!

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
The market in Florida right now is terrible... there's a member here who works in IT, with a Master's and an Ivy League education was out of a job for over a year in IT.

Look elsewhere, Florida is stagnant.

Monsterfan99

To go with what everyone else is saying, the Orlando job market is awful and getting worse. On a positive, houses can be found for ultra cheap.

Alektronic

My friends up north make more money than me (gross), but (net) wise it is about the same. Here, you can get a lot more house for the money and many other things are cheaper. But, the best part is the weather, my friends complain about the rainy and cool weather and I wake up to sunshine every morning. Then there is a lot more to do here, go to the beach on the weekends or hit the theme parks and don't have to be in a rush just hit a couple of rides or go to dinner.

stratman50th

Is everybody here in IT?
I'm a government contractor, IT of course. I'm in the metro DC area where most of the government contracts are. I doubt there would be much for me down there. My wife is the director of HR for, what else, a defense contractor. My daughter will be graduating from high school next year and off to college. We have really been considering moving to Florida to retire. Our house will be paid off in the next few months so we could pay cash for something down there. I've just been curious about the job market too. I figure my wife can get a job anyplace if she wants to. Everyone has an HR department. I'm a project manager so while IT is my field, I really haven't touched any hardware or software in a long time. I was a police officer and got into IT because of an injury. I figure I can change careers again if I have to. The first time's the hardest. Hell, I can BS with the best of them, maybe I could be a bus driver for the Mouse! ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom