Motley Fool reports lots and lots spent on My Magic+ in 2013

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Do you think the Magic Bands are free for Disney to make? I doubt they're saving much on making hotel keys when every guest is given a band that has to cost a lot more. Plus, they're mailed out to everyone - another cost. It's actually quite wasteful. My family of 4 now has about 30 bands or so.

Only on-site guest get the bands for free, other guests have to pay for them which is a new source of income, not to mention the custom bands they sell and other band add-ons.

lazyboy97o

MM+ is a winner for Disney. We may not like it...but Disney sure does. They may have gone over budget but the long term benefits made this a no brainer. It also cut costs for things we don't even think about....like no more paper tickets (i.e. the old FP system, eventually no more plastic room keys, on and on - things we don't really give a second thought to - but just the paper costs to print out the old FP and the system upkeep of those kiosks was substantial)...now start throwing in the Data Mining and Marketing aspect to it.......and what it will evolve into.
Those cost savings have now been replaced by maintaining a large, forward facing technology infrastructure. An infrastructure that was neglected and pry of the "need" for NextGen project.

Magenta Panther

Only on-site guest get the bands for free, other guests have to pay for them which is a new source of income, not to mention the custom bands they sell and other band add-ons.

Meh, I still think the paper Fastpasses and the cards were easier to deal with. I still don't see how this is a plus for guests. And has this been a financial plus or loss for the company?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So...has the idea been successful or profitable? There's a lot of back-and-forth here about that...

I wasn't trying to address the overall profitability, just the cost of room keys / part entry tickets vs Magic Bands. I wouldn't be surprised if it was at least a wash if not a bit more profitable with the magic bands.

Magenta Panther

I wasn't trying to address the overall profitability, just the cost of room keys / part entry tickets vs Magic Bands. I wouldn't be surprised if it was at least a wash if not a bit more profitable with the magic bands.

Thanks for the info. I still think the Bands are a nuisance. Just putting the things on is a pain. I prefer the plastic cards we used to get. They were easier to use, and looked great. I still have every one I used in past park visits. Great souvenirs, and great memories!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Thanks for the info. I still think the Bands are a nuisance. Just putting the things on is a pain. I prefer the plastic cards we used to get. They were easier to use, and looked great. I still have every one I used in past park visits. Great souvenirs, and great memories!

You can still get the cards if you want them. My up coming trip will actually be my first time using Magic Bands so I will be interested to see if I like them or not.

WhatJaneSays

Its not a conspiracy. Upgrading every hotel room door, every Point of Sale, every attraction, and installing WiFi through the entire resort simply isn't cheap by any stretch of the imagination. The simple hardware costs are mind boggling when you look at the scope, before you get into the software & code side of things.
At the time Disney first announced their plans I was managing an access control system and the maintenance/expansion of the system ... I couldn't even IMAGINE the cost of just the hardware on the door side. Just as a guess, if they could keep the total cost per door unit from placing the order order to guest usable to $100 that's 3 million dollars with zero wiggle room for errors.

(as a total aside: I remember fighting over a few budget items with co-workers. They all wanted a "better" version of one particular item we used and they couldn't understand why I wouldn't spring and spend the extra $5 to get the "pretty" one. I was like ... sure guys, find me $3000 extra in the budget and I'll do it. They had no idea how many we went through in a year.)

djkidkaz

I love the new system. Prefer the bands over the cards. Prefer making my fastpasses in advance. Seeing wait times on my phone. Nothing about the old way was better to me.

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
I love the new system. Prefer the bands over the cards. Prefer making my fastpasses in advance. Seeing wait times on my phone. Nothing about the old way was better to me.
Except wait times are now longer for all attractions. I could also get far more fastpasses beforehand. But yes, price increases, more line time, and less enjoyment. That sure sounds better!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom