Most Depressing Attraction To Lose...

MansionFan415

Original Poster
Over the years we have lost NUMEROUS attractions to make way for the future. Some we are happy to be rid of and welcome the new arrivals. Some of the new arrivals we could do without. And then there are times we love having the new arrivals, but wish the past was still around. So I ask you...in memory of such as:

~Horizons
~World Of Motion
~Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
~The Monster Sound Show
~20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
~SuperStar Television...and more.....

What do you miss most?? And don't be afraid to say that you miss original versions of some attractions most too...such as Journey Into Imagination!

My most missed:

Horizons and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

Main Street USA

Horizons, World of Motion, Original JIYI are the worst for me by far. Toad is a bad one, too, but I still get a little upset when I think about good ol' EPCOT Center.

dxwwf3

MK

Alien Encounter and Timekeeper

Epcot

Horizons, Journey Into Imagination, and Wonders of Life

MGM

Superstar Television and Monster Sound Show

AK

Nothing

But there are plenty of others that I miss, but most of those at least have decent replacements. Most of my list does not (Yet).

CThaddeus

Magic Kingdom - The Original Tiki Room, Carousel of Progress (if they ever do the awful deed), Dreamflight, anything that has been in the Circlevision Theater.
EPCOT - Cranium Command, The Making of Me, Horizons, World of Motion, Food Rocks!, Kitchen Kabaret, Journey Into Imagination (original), Captain EO, Tapestry of Nations, and any of the proposed pavilions.
Disney-MGM - Animation Studio (what moron axed this wonderful backstage tour?), Hunchback of Notre Dame stage show.
Animal Kingdom - The boats that went around the waterways when the park first opened (hopefully they'll come back).

yensidtlaw1969

Dude, I just totally misread the title of this thread as "Most Depantsing Attraction". That kinda threw me off a little :lookaroun.

I'd probably have to say Wonders of Life was hardest to lose, mainly because while i've lived to see the demise fo other attractions I've never been on them (Horizons, 20K, If You had Wings, Original JII) or didn't appreciate them at the time (Toad). Wonders of Life is my first true loss where I'm fully aware that I'll never see it again, and I liked Cranium Command :cry: . I'm working on Immortalizing it.

Yensid "I still miss Toad though" tlaw1969

dxwwf3

micecast said:
Over at MiceCast.com we talk about how some attractions are sacred, or how much of a crime it was to close 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

MansionFan might enjoy our show about the proposed changes to the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland. Or it might make him/her really angry.

Give a listen. Check the sig for links...

Great to have you guys over here! It's against forum rules to have links in the signature, but you can put them in your profile and have a picture in your avatar of the Micechat.com logo.

To anyone not subscribed, I'd like to highly reccomend their show to you. And now just because they dedicated an entire episdoe to one of my emails :). They have great topics and great discussions. Definitely check them out.

pescador1f

Nothing Really

Alien Encounter, The Old Journey Into Imagination I Guess. I Like Everything That Replaced The Old Attractions, They Were Good For Their Day, But They Needed To Move On With The Technology In Certain Areas. What I Miss The Most Is How Old I Was The First Time I Went As An Adult, Thats What Is Miss The Most:(

rileyspaw

Most Depressing Attraction To Lose

IMO it would have to be 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I always loved the movie and always had to get on that ride even though the scenes were alittle "cheesy" at times.
:cry:

Steamboat_Kevin

Honestly, and this will sound weird, I miss The Legend of the Lion King in Fantasyland. It was the first attraction I went on at WDW on my first trip there, so I have memories of it. I don't remember if it was even a good show, but just the fact that one of my first WDW memories is gone is a little depressing. I also miss the seacabs from the Living Seas, also one of my first WDW memories.

Main Street USA said:
Horizons, World of Motion, Original JIYI are the worst for me by far. Toad is a bad one, too, but I still get a little upset when I think about good ol' EPCOT Center.

Hey Zac! Haven't seen you around in a while! :wave:

Nansafan

In no particular order: Mr. Toad, Horizons, World of Motion, 20,000 Leagues under the sea, Monster Sound Show, Superstar Television.

Jheyman

Alien Encounter (see the SGE Thread in general disccusion for my thoughts)
Horizions & JII

Any ride that was some original disney magic!:sohappy:

Grim Grinner

On my honeymoon in 2000, my new wife and I went to WDW. At Epcot, the Horizons building was still standing- and I actually broke down when I found it was gone.

That ride meant a lot of me. Growing up it gave me a sense of wonder of where mankind would go, and the possibilities. It was an inspiration.

Losing WOM was tough, but I did enjoy Test Track- which was the first ride my wife and I took together (plus, got the picture!). That first ride WOULD have been Horizons...

Losing the original Imagination was a blow, made worse by the Ver. 2.0 ride we ended up with on that trip. No Figment?

Over the years, I was able to see Alien Encounter many times. I find it hilarious hearing what all the critics thought they saw and heard. The whole "Theater of the mind" really conjured a whole new kind of Disney magic. I miss that as well.

Mr. Toad was my childhood favorite for the Magic Kingdom, part of the pantheon with Haunted Mansion and POTC.

My biggest fear now is losing Spaceship Earth and Universe of Energy. (I think the Land is safe for now...)

PintoColvig

20K Leagues! My earliest memory of a Disney attraction!

I also miss the Skyway at MK and the SeaCabs at the Living Seas and Toad. Oh, and I miss Mission to Mars. The Animation Tour (It's demise is the greatest assault on the legacy Walt Disney that I know.) I probably miss Cranium Command the most. Man, I loved that show.

I miss all these things and more. *sigh*

This thread is depressing me.

At least there have been a few good replacements.

jeffb

My 2 cents, in no particular order:

EPCOT:
1. Horizons
2. JII (original version)
3. Food Rocks
4. Various elements of Communicore (SMRT-1, design a coster, etc...) (I agree that by the time of demise of Communicore, it was outdated particularly due to the advances in computers, however there was something truly great about Communicore that Innoventions just does not capture for me).
5. Alot of the orignal EPCOT music

Magic Kigdom:
1. MSEP
2. The Enchanted Tiki Room (how they destroyed this attraction and I still go see the show for that 20 seconds of In the Tiki Tiki Tiki .... Room magic (and the Phil Hartman pre-show). The shame of it is that imo the concept is actually a good idea, selling the Tiki Room and jokes about being attatched to the place, etc... but the new show is slightly obnoxious and the new music pales to the original
3. Mission to Mars (I know, it was time to move on)
4. Mr Toad's Wild Ride
5. 20K leagues
6. COP (Now is the Time Version) - I grew up on the Now is the Time Version, I was seriously bummed upon returning in mid 90s to discover the update and changing of the song to Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow. Over time - I have learned to appreciate this version just as much. I hope they never get rid of this attraction!
7. If you had Wings (had wings, had wings, had wings) - never really appreciated it until after it was gone

bgraham34

Mine would be the Original Journey Into Imagination. and then 20K.

And favorite non attraction: Electric Light Parade.

I miss SuperStar Television the most. I was once picked to be a butler on the Three Stooges segment. It was great getting hit in the face with a pie.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
For me it would be Horizons. However, I do like its replacement. I wish I could have both attractions!

SarahBella82

Jheyman said:
Alien Encounter (see the SGE Thread in general disccusion for my thoughts)
Horizions & JII

Any ride that was some original disney magic!:sohappy:

Alien Encounter for sure. But I also really miss the Tapestry parade. It was artful, and melodic, and beautiful.

SallyShine

MK - 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, this is a ride I fondly remember from my childhood. Do they still have this ride in DL?

MK - Skyway

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom