Most cheap-jerk question ever?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No conundrum. The cost is what it is, not what someone wished it was.

No different to me than going into a grocery store and lamenting the fact that steak costs so much yet hamburger is cheap. I don't get to pick the cost, but I get to pick what I spend my money on.

You completely missed the part where I said follow the rules...I just kinda see the angst on this particular point and wish the system was more flexible.

Thanks for the lecture and the grocery store analogy that doesn't fit, however...

Here's a scenario that is real. Child is 9 on saturday...pays $16 (or whatever it is ) at crystal palace...turns 10 on Sunday and pays $32...

I follow the rules..but I get how that's screwed up in that particular scenario

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Hahah. A few of the usual suspects showed up to shame you right good Slappy. I gotta just assume these self righteous —— have never broken a rule nor told a fib. Probably would find some interesting tidbits if we got a hold of their internet history though.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
You completely missed the part where I said follow the rules...I just kinda see the angst on this particular point and wish the system was more flexible.

Thanks for the lecture and the grocery store analogy that doesn't fit, however...

Here's a scenario that is real. Child is 9 on saturday...pays $16 (or whatever it is ) at crystal palace...turns 10 on Sunday and pays $32...

Possibly incorrect. If the birthday is after your check in date i beleive the sprog is taken to be a child for the length of stay.

matt9112

Not cheap, just practical. I think it is ridiculous that a 10 year old is considered an adult for dining. They should allow you to classify kids up to at least 12 as kids as long as they order meals from the kids menus.

meh I think they should make it all one price. you know the inevitable march of progress.

King Racoon 77

Premium Member
Not cheap, just practical. I think it is ridiculous that a 10 year old is considered an adult for dining. They should allow you to classify kids up to at least 12 as kids as long as they order meals from the kids menus.
Why 12 why not 13 ?

King Racoon 77

Premium Member
Because I have seen how much 13 year old boys can eat. :D
And 12 year olds can't ?

My point being that there has to be a cut off point somewhere. Disney has made it's choice and if you don't like it the answer is to not go.
FM1423-800x600.jpg

Jedi Stitch

Awesome thread title. I see this one going the ages, being re-posted years down the road. My daughter was 10 when we went and we did get the DDP. My wife had just had her sleeve surgery, too. Yes, at first I thought, man this costly for them eating like two birds. Then, we started to hit one or two character meals a day. Ok, payoff on the DDP. Hitting nice TS places, relaxing off our feet. Getting the extra bottle of water to go, not using snack credits just for water. I guess as long as your still planing to do shows and character meals, ans going to the fun, cool TS places to eat, then it will be worth it, because now your paying for meet in greets and the extra show ticket, or having a magical moment all with your ADR.

slappy magoo

Original Poster
Awesome thread title. I see this one going the ages, being re-posted years down the road. My daughter was 10 when we went and we did get the DDP. My wife had just had her sleeve surgery, too. Yes, at first I thought, man this costly for them eating like two birds. Then, we started to hit one or two character meals a day. Ok, payoff on the DDP. Hitting nice TS places, relaxing off our feet. Getting the extra bottle of water to go, not using snack credits just for water. I guess as long as your still planing to do shows and character meals, ans going to the fun, cool TS places to eat, then it will be worth it, because now your paying for meet in greets and the extra show ticket, or having a magical moment all with your ADR.
Well again, I was more interested in seeing people's replies. I'm not planning on trying to game the system and pretend my kid is still 9. I'm still weighing whether or not Tables in Wonderland might be worth it. A lot of it depends on where we go, though in the past we did do Deluxe Dining and like you, used it to hit tons of character meals. Pretty much always a sit down breakfast and dinner, occasional Signatures like Cali Grill, maybe a coun ter service lunch but more often than not just a snack because the breakfast was always so huge. And even though we'd "get our money's worth" compared to the same restaurants and meals out of pocket, we'd still wind up with so many leftover snack credits we'd stock up on snacks for the ride home, and since we usually drive, we'd stock some fudge or similar perishables in our cooler, but also buy Trail Mix and other Goofy Candy Co items for a "taste of Disney" once home or to give to other relatives.

The wrinkle for this trip is my wife just went back to work after taking a school year off before our youngest started kindergarten, the "These Days Are Precious" year. So as much as we want to go this year, we still have quite a bit of debt to pay off from last year. Which makes it hard to justify the dining plan, but at the same time, I know the dining out is my wife's favorite part of the trip and I don't want to short-change her either.

daisyduckie

Hahah. A few of the usual suspects showed up to shame you right good Slappy. I gotta just assume these self righteous —— have never broken a rule nor told a fib. Probably would find some interesting tidbits if we got a hold of their internet history though.

Would I steal from a company that I love? Nope. Would I go into a restaurant and purposely underpay? Nope.

daisyduckie

That is not how it works though. Kids are the age they are at check in for their whole trip. Disney doesn't penalize them for getting older. So your scenario is not at all real.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That is not how it works though. Kids are the age they are at check in for their whole trip. Disney doesn't penalize them for getting older. So your scenario is not at all real.

Do their appetites grown greatly in one week spans?

We're splitting duck hairs here...perhaps there are no good analogies.

I would never tell some one to lie/steal...but this is an interesting scenario that stretches the boundaries...it's pretty arbitrary for a place that sells pre-planned meal packages. I'd rather it be all one price and you eat however you want.

jaklgreen

Do their appetites grown greatly in one week spans?

We're splitting duck hairs here...perhaps there are no good analogies.

I would never tell some one to lie/steal...but this is an interesting scenario that stretches the boundaries...it's pretty arbitrary for a place that sells pre-planned meal packages. I'd rather it be all one price and you eat however you want.

It is arbitrary but there has to be an age limit from child to adult. They have to pick an age. The problem is that 10 is younger then most places and couple that with the high prices, well that is what bothers us.

daisyduckie

It is arbitrary but there has to be an age limit from child to adult. They have to pick an age. The problem is that 10 is younger then most places and couple that with the high prices, well that is what bothers us.

Any age is going to not seem right to someone.

My nephew could eat plate after plate of food before the age of 10. Not every adult can eat enough to justify the cost. Doesn't mean we should try to put one over on Disney. I always consider the characters or ambiance to be part of the cost. If someone can't do that and feels the cost doesn't justify the meal, then they shouldn't book that meal. It is that easy.

jaklgreen

Any age is going to not seem right to someone.

My nephew could eat plate after plate of food before the age of 10. Not every adult can eat enough to justify the cost. Doesn't mean we should try to put one over on Disney. I always consider the characters or ambiance to be part of the cost. If someone can't do that and feels the cost doesn't justify the meal, then they shouldn't book that meal. It is that easy.
Oh I agree. We never bought the dining plan because our kids did not eat off of the kids menu. We just purchased an adult meal for them to share or went to the buffet. I do think it would be nice for Disney to let ppl buy the kids plan if they wanted to for those over 10.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Agree and that's why I mentioned it earlier...it's
Such a vast difference. Tough finding entrees under $40 on most disney menus and tough finding kids complete meals over $16

daisyduckie

Oh I agree. We never bought the dining plan because our kids did not eat off of the kids menu. We just purchased an adult meal for them to share or went to the buffet. I do think it would be nice for Disney to let ppl buy the kids plan if they wanted to for those over 10.

Hmm. It would have to exclude any all you care to eat or buffets. And you would have to make sure they only ordered off the kid's menu or paid a la cart for anything not on the menu.

daisyduckie

Agree and that's why I mentioned it earlier...it's
Such a vast difference. Tough finding entrees under $40 on most disney menus and tough finding kids complete meals over $16

Not really true. I just picked the first 2 Epcot menus to come up, Coral Reef and Chefs. Coral Reef doesn't have a entree over $33, and Chef de France tops out at 35.99 for the beef tenderloin. The cheapest entree is 18.99.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom